Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2020, 01:06 AM   #1

Default Small Propane Grill

I'm looking for a small propane grill that folds up small enough to slide under the
sofa/bed of my 2019 PW Lexor. Propane canisters are OK. Does anyone have a recommendation?
kanes@frontier.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 03:28 PM   #2
Platinum Member

chefs ( incl my wife) use a "cassette-feu"

we use this to keep cooking heat and odors out of the van

it is quick and easy

1 burner, butane cans
usually under $20 ( her's cost under $10)
there is no advantage to the iwatani brand, just more $$$

Here's a link for you

https://www.amazon.com/GS-1000-Porta...%2C243&sr=8-18

fuel cans

https://www.amazon.com/Butane-Canist...%2C243&sr=8-12

can also find at Smart and Final and restaurant supply type stores- some sports stores- Big5 in AZ and CA

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 03:46 PM   #3
Platinum Member

We use the smallest Magma grille, which is a 9X12 cooking surface. Runs on the bottles, but we use the van propane on hose. Works very well for us and we use it almost every day while out traveling.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 03:50 PM   #4
Bronze Member

Default Primus

https://primus.us/products/kuchoma-g...29444419158099
Roadtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 02:00 AM   #5
Platinum Member

We use a Blue Rhino 10,000 BTU gas grill, connected to the auxiliary propane connection off the main Propane tank of our RT 210. Works great and fits underneath the bed storage
area.
RAA357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 03:27 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Here's another vote for the smallest Magma grill. Ours is a "BeachFire" model and we fuel it using Flame-King refillable 1-lb cylinders. The grill doesn't fit underneath the couch, though. Generally speaking, we've failed in the area of getting everything we want to take to fit in the van. We use a hitch-mounted cargo carrier to solve that problem.
rvsprinterguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 03:41 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvsprinterguy View Post
Here's another vote for the smallest Magma grill. Our's is a "BeachFire" model and we fuel it using Flame-King refillable 1-lb cylinders. The grill doesn't fit underneath the couch, though. Generally speaking, we've failed in the area of getting everything we want to take to fit in the van. We use a hitch-mounted cargo carrier to solve that problem.

That model looks to be the same size as our small Magma. Ours "technically" doesn't fit in our outside storage on the Roadtrek C190P we have, as it won't fit through the opening which is a bit smaller than the cabinet height. I removed the hinge bolts on the cover and just us longer bolts with easy to grab heads and no nuts needed. This made the cover easy to remove. You can gain a little height without them in also so would store a bit lower. I leave them out for travel, but latch the front to keep it from bouncing.
Old 06-15-2020, 04:00 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Making the Magma grill lid easily removable is a clever idea. Thanks!
rvsprinterguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 02:11 AM   #9
Gold Member

I bought this one for its size. No regrets.

https://www.coleman.com/all-camp-kit...COL_2000020932
GroupB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 11:17 AM   #10
Platinum Member

[QUOTE=GroupB;109818]I bought this one for its size. No regrets.

[quote]

That's the Coleman Fold N Go, which I was very tempted to buy, but multiple reviews said that the flame cannot be turned low enough. It doesn't have a proper diffuser, so this heat thing was a problem to some people. How do you find it?

One or two of the products mentioned on this thread were stoves, not grills (e.g., cassette feu). Finding a good mini-stove is no problem at all. Mini-grills are harder.

The Magma that stands on its own feet was too large and bulky for our space requirements, even though it is quite small by grill standards. About 2 weeks ago, I bought the smallest "flying saucer" Magma instead.

However, that then brought its own problems, because that one is a marine grill intended for boat rail installation, and its optional "shore stand" is absolute crap.

So, my husband used his CAD program to design our own adapter which he can order online. Which is great, but it vastly increases the cost of the grill. I should have known better than to give a project like that to an engineer. I'll post a pic once I get one.

With the adapter, we can use the surplus pedestal table leg and socket that became obsolete once we installed our two Lagun table mounts. The whole thing breaks down for storage and doesn't limit us to either cooking on the ground surface or on a picnic table which is not always present.

Relevant to the topic of carrying small grills - I highly recommend an ATV bag if you have adequate roof structure available for securing it. We have a roof rack which we've used to vault our solar panels above the air conditioner. The ATV bag lashes behind it as a "dirty storage" receptacle (muddy boots, general bushcrafting items, and the grill will go here also, if I cannot easily get it into the under-slung spare tire).

These are early pics taken before I installed the perforated rubber mat beneath it so it would not scratch the roof. It's held on using a number of 75-pound cable ties.

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 01:07 PM   #11
Platinum Member

When we downsized from large traiers to our PW van, I decided to call it quits with the BBQ - mainly due to size, mess, and only usable outdoors.

Now we use Sous Vide, CY frying pan, Instant Pot, and portable induction hot plate in conjnction with the cooktop and convection micro in the van for our cooking needs.

I especially like that these can all be used either inside or outside the van.

It has worked well for us and we don't miss the bbq.
<<B-Guy>> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 02:12 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by <<B-Guy>> View Post
When we downsized from large traiers to our PW van, I decided to call it quits with the BBQ - mainly due to size, mess, and only usable outdoors.

Now we use Sous Vide, CY frying pan, Instant Pot, and portable induction hot plate in conjnction with the cooktop and convection micro in the van for our cooking needs.

I especially like that these can all be used either inside or outside the van.

It has worked well for us and we don't miss the bbq.

This brings up an interesting point that hasn't been mentioned, and that is the storage of the grille. We have heard a bunch of complaints about the odor of putting it inside the van, but lots of people do it without issue.

We are lucky in that ours fits in the outside storage bin in our Chevy Roadtrek 190, but those areas of storage have disappeared with the unibody vans. Are people storing them in a box or bag, or dealing with it any other way?
Old 06-16-2020, 02:35 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
This brings up an interesting point that hasn't been mentioned, and that is the storage of the grille. We have heard a bunch of complaints about the odor of putting it inside the van, but lots of people do it without issue.

We are lucky in that ours fits in the outside storage bin in our Chevy Roadtrek 190, but those areas of storage have disappeared with the unibody vans. Are people storing them in a box or bag, or dealing with it any other way?
I store my Grilliput and UCO wood / charcoal grills inside, but it's a pain - I have to scrub them first. Even if I am short on water and I don't get them totally degreased, I have to get most of the residue off.

For those grills that do not come with their own containers, I have sewn pouches out of silver tarp material. Those are not waterproof, but they work well.

Next obvious question: If I've got wood and charcoal alternatives, why do I need a Magma?

Because during certain conditions, I cannot light open wood fires due to the sparking issue. Specifically, on land that I own, for as long as the wind is from the south, I'm golden - I can light fires safely all day long, whether a camp fire or a grill fire. But on a north wind, I really have to go with propane in a non-sparking enclosure that has a lid. It's not safe otherwise.

Here's an older pic of the tarp envelope that I sewed to hold the UCO and Grilliput. I later re-did this under-couch void space to store shoes.

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 08:21 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Kanes, Here's another of the many options for a compact propane grill..... 1/3 stove burner, 2/3 grill, by Coleman. Stores easily under sofabed of our LTV Free Spirit, easy to use and clean. https://www.rei.com/product/883482/c...re-grill-stove
Old 06-16-2020, 08:58 PM   #15
Platinum Member

I have used an Olympian 4100 grill for several years and it has served me well. I uses 1# propane bottles and came with a zip up bag for storage. I fits nicely under the rear seat in my RoadTrek 210P
JohnnyFry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 09:02 PM   #16
Platinum Member

I store mine in an OEM vinyl zipper bag which fits under the rear sofa/bed in my 210P. I have not noticed any problem with odors.
JohnnyFry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 09:28 PM   #17
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroupB View Post
I bought this one for its size. No regrets.

https://www.coleman.com/all-camp-kit...COL_2000020932

I bought this Coleman grill also because it was the smallest one I could find to fit in my Aluminess rear storage box. It works great. It heats fast and is plenty big for 2 people. It is also easy to clean. The storage bag also is great. I would definitely buy it again. It is also pretty inexpensive.
jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 10:30 PM   #18
Platinum Member

I use the same model NAZCamperVan linked in his earlier post in this thread. We normally boondock and this combo prepares most of our meals. You can buy them on Amazon for about $100 .
Doneworking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 12:24 AM   #19
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post

No odor from the grill when we store ours in our RT210, I clean the grill completely, which is rather easy since I cover the entire bottom of it with aluminum foil, just remove the foil, wipe it down and place it in a fire proof bag. No odor at all.
RAA357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 05:49 AM   #20
Platinum Member

I bought one of these a few years ago. Must have been on sale since I didn't pay anywhere near $200 for mine, but it's been a good grill for cooking meat. It came with a canvas bag, and it fits in the rear under-bed storage area of my Roadtrek. You can run it off cylinders, but with the appropriate hose you should be able to connect it to your PW.

As for odor, I sometimes get a little bit of a smell from it but not enough to bother me. I let the grill run for a while on high after removing the food, so most of the food residue burns away. I always clean the drip tray after each use, and occasionally wipe down the inside as well.