Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-06-2021, 01:28 AM   #1

Default So a 2005 Winnebago .....

Rialta. 22 foot, 86,000, very clean. Thinking of a nicer vehicle than my '95 G-20 Jayco. Never owned a VW anything, what should I be checking out here? I'm OK with a wrench and familiar with metrics (BMW and Yamahas) There is just so much stuffed into these chassis!! I'm mostly concerned with inherent problems, cooling, electrical etc. Thanks in advanced Amigos.
Ohiwish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 02:03 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Have not owned one but I find them charming - with some cool features, such as the sink in the head.

you won't be passing traffic uphill, it continues that VW tradition- post 99/2000 have more power

they came with 4 layouts

poptopheaven in yucaipa Ca. specializes in these and parts

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 12:47 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Go to these site for Rialta information. The 2005 model is the last year produced on a 2003 chassis. It is the best model with the V6 engine but needs a transmission cooler to save overheating the tranny.
https://groups.io/g/Rialta
Winnebago Rialta Motor Home

MLogan
Formerly 2004 Rialta HD
Smyrna, TN
mloganusda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 10:34 PM   #4
Platinum Member

I have owned a 1999 Rialta HD (best kitchen) since 2010. Bought it used. I had some issues but nothing major just some aging electronic components. I live in Arizona and unfortunately the VW Dealers no longer service these everywhere. I spoke to a VW rep and all they could say was, "Thank for being a loyal owner". I found good mechanics that can do any and all the work so that is not a reason to not get one. I will say that it is one of the most comfortable and stable drives ever! As for keeping up speed, the SECRET is to use Cruise Control. The computer gets it to climb hills better than a human. If you lose momentum on an uphill climb you may have a bit of a chore but just be patient, it will get you there. I have climbed over the Yuma and San Diego mountains without ever slowing down (with Cruise Control). Other than that, the rig is fully loaded. The bath and shower work better than people expect. The bed is HUGE when deployed from the dinette. I think it is 6' 8" and very comfortable! Mine has the oven & micro., 3 burner stove, fridge w/freezer (HD is only one with the freezer). Once you are driving you can barely hear the engine. Very smooth to sleep in the back while underway thanks to the air bags (require manual inflation but easy). It turns a tighter corner than my Chrysler 300C!! There are some notorious little quirks to watch for and I have written many easy fixes. If you get a 2000-2005 there is a bit more horsepower but the Cruise is the answer. Also, I take it out of Overdrive when in stop and go City traffic. Really saves the tranny. Currently I have 58,000 miles. If you or people traveling with you are tall (over 6ft) it may feel a bit annoying as the ceiling is just at that height. You can stand full height in the kitchen, entryway, and while showering. The shower is actually very roomy. Beware that the shower drains into the Black Tank in this rig. I like that because it gets a good sanitary washout on a regular basis. Never any odors in this rig. The Motoraid system heats the water while you drive up to about 190 deg F (like a Keurig coffeemaker). MOST important tip: Use the existing hot water BEFORE you turn on your Water Heater. If you don't, it will trip the breaker because the Motoraid water is hotter than the Water Heater gets it. Once the water gets lukewarm you are safe to turn on the switch thereafter. Good luck and hope it all goes well!!!
CGAZ Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 10:49 AM   #5

Just my experience... I had a 2000 model and although the size, design, comfort and layout is far better than my current 2000 RoadTrek it gave me a good deal of trouble. I fought leaks at every point (sunroof, entry door, windows) and despite a transmission cooler I still had to have the valve body rebuilt and new solenoids. The transmission is its Achilles heel. If any hint of trouble there (mine didn't when I first bought it) you will want to pass on it. It is under-powered and the brakes are not stout enough for the weight of the vehicle. Otherwise, I loved it!
journeyman28778 is offline   Reply With Quote