Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-27-2020, 03:40 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Default So which one are we? Rv or car

With signs such as no Rv/trailer allowed vs. Rv/bus parking only, which one are we supposed to follow? Do we call a b van cars or do we call it an RV?
coss370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 05:12 AM   #2
Platinum Member

If the sign says: "No RVs", then we're a car. In short, we apply the "chameleon" principle and are/become whichever option fits . . . except when the sign says "tents only".
2016 159" High Top DIY ProMaster with 500ah Starlight Solar/Elite LiFePo4, 930 watts Hyundai Solar w/MidNite Solar Classic MPPT, Magnum 2812/MMP250-60S Charger/PSW w/remote, Nations 280amp 2nd Alternator with DIY [formerly, Balmar] regulator, NovaCool R4500 12/120v frig, 2 burner TruInduction cookstop, SMEV 8005 sink, FloJet R4426143 pump. No A/C or indoor washroom.
Winston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 12:07 PM   #3
Platinum Member

In rest areas we usually park with the cars because we fit in a single parking space. But sometimes, depending on which side appears most convenient, more level, or less crowded, we might park with the trucks and RVs. For overnight parking (where allowed) it’s better to park with the cars and leave the truck lot for long haul truckers taking their mandatory rest break.

Other places, depends. Most of us are over-height, which sometimes matters. One municipal parking lot in Flagstaff clearly said “no RVs,” and since it was a dead-end lot with compact spaces and very limited maneuvering room, we moved on.

No simple answer.
Old 11-27-2020, 12:32 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston View Post
If the sign says: "No RVs", then we're a car. In short, we apply the "chameleon" principle and are/become whichever option fits . . . except when the sign says "tents only".
When it says "tents only", set up the little pup tent beside the van.

This reminds me of a bitterly cold night at Mt Mitchell, NC, trailhead. All campsites were walk-in tent sites. We paid for a site, then parked the van and prepared to sleep in it. Ranger knocked on the door. We told him we decided it was too cold to sleep in the tent. He agreed and left us alone.

Build Site: msnomersvan.wordpress.com
Travel Site: woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 01:52 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsNomer View Post
When it says "tents only", set up the little pup tent beside the van.
Not clear if planning on tenting or not. Sounds like interpreting "tent only" as a suggestion and not the rule it is if planning to camp in your RV all along, aka cheating. Maybe clarify what you're suggesting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsNomer View Post
This reminds me of a bitterly cold night at Mt Mitchell, NC, trailhead. All campsites were walk-in tent sites. We paid for a site, then parked the van and prepared to sleep in it. Ranger knocked on the door. We told him we decided it was too cold to sleep in the tent. He agreed and left us alone.
Parking lot? Nice of Ranger to permit that & a few extra $ for the park if you didn't actually prevent the possibility of a late arriving tent camper from having a tent only site.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 03:00 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Lets see, I pull a small trailer. I am 30'9" overall. I certainly am to long to park in a single car spot! Hopefully common sense will prevail! My RT 210 is 21' 11' and that is more than one parking spot. I take two, and maybe a Smart car or a Fiat can park in the small areal left over when don't have my trailer. If there are not double pull thru spots, guess I'm parking with the big rigs!! Question is, if there are parking meters, do I have to feed both of them?

And actually we fit the definition of a "Recreational Vehicle", and not a car. But individual state legal definitions can become very murky! What it is in one state may not be what it is in another state!
wny-pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 04:59 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo View Post
Not clear if planning on tenting or not. Sounds like interpreting "tent only" as a suggestion and not the rule it is if planning to camp in your RV all along, aka cheating. Maybe clarify what you're suggesting here.

Parking lot? Nice of Ranger to permit that & a few extra $ for the park if you didn't actually prevent the possibility of a late arriving tent camper from having a tent only site.
Technically, we were cheating, but we didn’t hurt anybody. Because of the cold, most sites were empty and the park got more money than it would have if we had boondocked nearby.

At 17’9”, we easily fit into a car slot.

Old 11-27-2020, 05:12 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Just use common sense. With rest stops especially on the Interstates the car parking is usually angled and long enough to park the longest van - extended body Sprinter at 24' and a van is not too wide to block adjacent cars from opening their doors. If you stick out in the driving lane then you shouldn't park there.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 05:54 PM   #9
Platinum Member

As others have suggested. Use common sense, don't inconvenience others, but outside of that you can be either one in a class b that fits a standard parking space.

I have never seen a tent-only area that was full or even nearly full, but that proabably depends on your time of travel. I've always wished that parks were all like Karcher Caverns SP in Arizona. If they don't have an rv place for you, for a reduced fee you can boondock in the Caverns parking lot. A place for everyone and free money for the state. We would be happy to have this option at all parks since we typically travel without reservations.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 07:20 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
As others have suggested. Use common sense, don't inconvenience others, but outside of that you can be either one in a class b that fits a standard parking space.

I have never seen a tent-only area that was full or even nearly full, but that proabably depends on your time of travel. I've always wished that parks were all like Karcher Caverns SP in Arizona. If they don't have an rv place for you, for a reduced fee you can boondock in the Caverns parking lot. A place for everyone and free money for the state. We would be happy to have this option at all parks since we typically travel without reservations.
We boondocked overnight at Karchner Caverns SP. By backing in with our 24 ft. extended body Sprinter we did not spill over the parking spot, but you notice behind us there is another Class C with a tow and another van that parallel parked on the back end curb and took up multiple spaces. The lot was pretty much empty by the end of the day when the cavern tours closed so I guess that would be OK.

2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 05:13 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Oversized vehicles blocking driving lanes is a personal pet peeve. The blue pickup had pulled in at an angle and partially blocked my vehicle when I came out of Walmart. It was so comically absurd I took a photo. It's not like there weren't double spots available a few extra steps away!
Big Truck.jpg

Unlike big trucks, Class B owners seem to be a generally courteous bunch and rarely make a nuisance of themselves.
Old 11-28-2020, 06:23 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Yes, I hate the narrow, straight-in parking slots at all our local Lowes and Home Depot. Given the fact many of their customers are driving big pickups (many with dually wheels), the parking gets interesting. And not in a good way.

At Karcher Caverns parking lot, as it should be with most parks, accomodates rv parking for those in larger rigs or trailers.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 12:33 AM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coss370 View Post
With signs such as no Rv/trailer allowed vs. Rv/bus parking only, which one are we supposed to follow? Do we call a b van cars or do we call it an RV?
Is your vehicle's registration plate for a RV?
Want a B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 11:07 AM   #14
Platinum Member

The 18 ft. Tofino is great at being a "car".
ilmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 08:22 PM   #15
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want a B View Post
Is your vehicle's registration plate for a RV?
My state does not have a RV vehicle registration plate! But my Class B does have a RV Industry Association seal.

And I have a handicap tag, so I can park in any handicap spot.
wny-pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 08:28 PM   #16
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wny-pat View Post
My state does not have a RV vehicle registration plate! But my Class B does have a RV Industry Association seal.
Then IMHO you get to park where ever you want that is space efficent.
Want a B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 06:57 AM   #17
Platinum Member

I was more concerned about the signs at the parks, but then I saw a 29’ class c going up a place that says 25’ limit. I guess I worry too much.
coss370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 10:45 AM   #18
Platinum Member

I think a more appropriate question would be "RV or truck".
ilmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 12:16 PM   #19
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilmor View Post
I think a more appropriate question would be "RV or truck".
Even that got squishy sometimes when we camped in our truck.

Old 11-30-2020, 12:37 PM   #20
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coss370 View Post
I was more concerned about the signs at the parks, but then I saw a 29’ class c going up a place that says 25’ limit. I guess I worry too much.
I guess I'm confused about your question now, because in you first post you said "RV/bus parking only" (emphasis added), so I assumed you were talking about parking lots. In parking lots, restrictions are based on the size of the spaces and (sometimes) overhead clearance. For day parking in state and national parks (as well as rest areas) I would probably try the regular lot first and leave the oversized parking for the bigger rigs. But as others have said, Class B's do have the ability to pass off as either. Popular spots in peak season may have an attendant directing you.

Size restrictions also exist for camping sites due to the size of the parking pad. Many campgrounds do not want vehicles intruding on grass or natural vegetation. People sometimes shoehorn slight larger units into a site by parking at an angle or letting the rear overhang extend past the end of the parking pad. Some places actually measure, but most places leave room for discretion in enforcement. A typical Class B will fit into most campsites except a few walk-in, tent-only spots.

Last, there are sometimes length and/or height restrictions on roads due to narrow lanes, tight turns, and/or overhead clearances. Signage is usually pretty clear. No one takes a tape measure to each vehicle, but if you get stuck, expect to be fined (in addition to extrication charges and possibly expensive damage to your vehicle).

When in doubt, ask. If there is no one to ask, apply common sense and courtesy liberally. Know the dimensions of your rig. Always have an exit strategy.