Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2021, 01:51 PM   #41
Platinum Member

Promaster is not inherently any noisier than the other vans and is just as well built—in some respects better, for example its galvanizing which makes rust a non-issue.

You should be able to reach zero squeak/rattle status. I wouldn’t settle for less. The only time I ever hear anything is on severe washboard, and even then it’s just drawer stuff like utensils.

I used Thinsulate in my build, plus I put Dynamat on large metal surfaces.

Build Site: msnomersvan.wordpress.com
Travel Site: woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 05:00 PM   #42
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsNomer View Post
Promaster is not inherently any noisier than the other vans and is just as well built—in some respects better, for example its galvanizing which makes rust a non-issue.

You should be able to reach zero squeak/rattle status. I wouldn’t settle for less. The only time I ever hear anything is on severe washboard, and even then it’s just drawer stuff like utensils.

I used Thinsulate in my build, plus I put Dynamat on large metal surfaces.
Agree, if Promaster would be inherently noisier it wouldn't by popular as campervan in NA nor it wouldn't capture 80% of the campervan market share in EU.

My van is very quiet with Thinsulate only, in many places 2 layers.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 09:49 PM   #43
Bronze Member

Class B camper vans are not inexpensive. The manufacturers need to address these problems beforehand.
Roadtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 10:04 PM   #44
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtoad View Post
Class B camper vans are not inexpensive. The manufacturers need to address these problems beforehand.
As long folks are buying, for example buying campervans without insulation why should manufacturers change. Practically all DIY folks have some insulation and often are a few years ahead of the commercial market with Thinsulate being a good example. DIY folks are not there for profit, commercial folks are.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 03:03 AM   #45
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
As long folks are buying, for example buying campervans without insulation why should manufacturers change. Practically all DIY folks have some insulation and often are a few years ahead of the commercial market with Thinsulate being a good example. DIY folks are not there for profit, commercial folks are.
That’s a solid looking class b.
Roadtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 02:23 PM   #46

I am picking up a 2021 Solis px this week. I am buying through Lamesa rv in Sanford Fl. I have had previous class a and c. I will be reading through this thread for any advice on what to watch for, what people recommend, and dealer relations. I would like to use as vehicle for hauling bikes, surfboards, visits to grandkids, - yes I am retired. Basically short trips for my wife and I with an occasional longer trip.
Thanks.
Wwlandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 12:54 PM   #47
Silver Member

Wwlandry
Congratulations! We have our Solis for exactly what your intending to use yours for. We love ours. Last night we picked up dinner and enjoyed in in our Solis at the harbor. We just returned from a 2 week trip to Colorado. I hope you join us on Facebook at Winnebago Solis Owners and Wannabees. Its a great group with lots of informations and positive vibes! Congratulations!
pacificstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 03:33 PM   #48
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wwlandry View Post
I am picking up a 2021 Solis px this week. I am buying through Lamesa rv in Sanford Fl. I have had previous class a and c. I will be reading through this thread for any advice on what to watch for, what people recommend, and dealer relations. I would like to use as vehicle for hauling bikes, surfboards, visits to grandkids, - yes I am retired. Basically short trips for my wife and I with an occasional longer trip.
Thanks.
Congratulations and welcome to the forum!

Let's see, you've come from a class A, to a class C, to a class B. Quite a journey and adjustment. But you will love the relaxing drive, easy parking, and gas mileage.

We basically follow the saying "You don't live in a class b, you live out of a class b". When driving, our b is as roomy as your average car. Same when parking (except for a little extra length). And when we sleep in it, the bed is roughly the size of our queen bed at home. The rest of the time we try to spend outside as much as possible. As a retired couple, we are flexible to travel "off season" and follow 70 degree highs.

Enjoy!
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 05:02 PM   #49

Default Mountain bike storage in 59px and Spare tire?

Hello, I am new to the forum and currently considering a Solis 59px for a family of 4 (2 adults and 2 young teens. I have two questions about the Solis:

1) I don't believe it comes with a spare tire. After growing up RVing and helping my dad change multiple tires I refuse not traveling with a spare. For those that added a spare did you use a tire mount on the back door? Is there space underneath to mount one?

2) I enjoy mountain biking which is why I am interested in the larger Solis. All the examples I have seen online were people mounting road bikes. I don't see how I could fit a mountain bike in the rear gear storage area since my bars are much wider than a road bike (with the bed down). I am curious to hear how you have transported your mountain bikes inside the van.

Thanks all!

Brian
bmonighetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 05:07 PM   #50
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmonighetti View Post
Hello, I am new to the forum and currently considering a Solis 59px for a family of 4 (2 adults and 2 young teens. I have two questions about the Solis:

1) I don't believe it comes with a spare tire. After growing up RVing and helping my dad change multiple tires I refuse not traveling with a spare. For those that added a spare did you use a tire mount on the back door? Is there space underneath to mount one?

2) I enjoy mountain biking which is why I am interested in the larger Solis. All the examples I have seen online were people mounting road bikes. I don't see how I could fit a mountain bike in the rear gear storage area since my bars are much wider than a road bike. I am curious to hear how you have transported your mountain bikes inside the van.

Thanks all!

Brian

Welcome to the forum Brian!

Getting more Solis members on here all the time. Hopefully, one will see your post and has transported bikes. If not, there are plenty of helpful member on this forum that had done so with similar (if not Solis) floorplans who can answer with their experiences.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote