Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-10-2021, 11:11 AM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Some more questions concerning a used 2008 RT210P

I recently looked at a used Roadtrek 210 Popular. I ultimately said no to the deal due to several reasons. These include: 1) the clear coat on the fiber glass top is peeling off. 2) Two mechanical modifications which included moving both the 30 amp shore plug and the city water intake from inside a sliding tray, (on a Roadtrek), to the exterior. 3) The faux leather upholstery used by Roadtrek to cover the Chevrolet seats was disintegrating. 4) It had not been cleaned out inside and there was some evidence of mold. 5) The lock and latch for the battery drawer was jammed and couldn't be opened.

There were pluses though, including 1) being lifted a couple of inches, 2) replacing the AR alloy wheels with Chevy OEM steel wheels, 3) restoring the +28 mm offset, 4) adding a Trik-L-Charge to keep the chassis battery charged, 5) adding a Scan Gauge II, and 6) replacing the old crank up Winegard Sensor TV antenna with a King Jack antenna.

He said the oil is changed twice a year or 7500 miles, which ever comes first with the middle grade Amsoil. Only Amsoil full synthetic has been used in it.

He has reduced the price by 10K since I visited him. After meeting him, it's obvious he hasn't been able to do any long distance traveling lately. Rather than let it sit and degrade more, he wants to get rid of it. He is the original owner, and interestingly, while it's a 2008 Roadtrek model, it's also built on a Chevrolet 2008 chassis. Also, this means it doesn't have the 6 speed transmission.

Is this worth pursuing and where would the peeling clearcoat be fixed?
Atlee Hokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 12:52 PM   #2
Platinum Member

There are two negatives about a 2008 that may not be important to you. The electrical drain on the chassis battery during storage is excessive and 2008 was a bad year for quality due to an economic downturn. The owner obviously understands the problems with the addition of the trickle charger. Reverting to steel wheels is a good thing and quality is probably long past being an issue.

Almost any coach that age will have a battery box issue. I wouldn’t let the clear coat thing be an issue. Just an opinion.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 01:06 PM   #3

Good morning, here is my 2 cents
Item #-1= clear coat can be fix by any autobody repair shop, get an estimate and see...
#-2=These two mods i wish i had them on my unit, 1997 leisure travel freedom wide body, it might be a project for this year.
#-3= Upholstery can easy be redone, usualy boat upholsterer are good. Get an estimate
#-5= Lock and latch easy fix, replace
#-4= That one is my main concern. Mold can go long way, you don't know what's behind the the wall. For me someone wanting to sell something and does'nt clean it properly leaves to think that the rest of the unit is the same, not been taking care of: for me deal breaker
For you you'll have to decide whether the price is good enough so you can have everything fixed, or do them yourself.
For me, spending a little more on a better unit is worth the wait, been there done that.
My camper witch i bought last year is a 1997 Leisure travel freedom wide body, condition is like new all over. We where looking for a clean vehicule, not a project and found one, they are out there just have to keep looking.
But last if you and your wife are confortable with the price and the camper than go for it, if not keep looking.

Good luck
Mike
k
Mike
micalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 01:58 AM   #4
Gold Member

I have a similar vehicle with the difference being it is a Versatile.

1. Same with mine. Haven't addressed it yet.
2. Depending on how these were done, could be a plus or a minus.
3. https://www.theseatshop.com
4. Positive here could be that nothing is purposely hidden
5. Could be a major effort to fix. The slides could also be bound up.

I have had 1 new RV and 2 used. The new one had just as many problems than the used ones.

I would pursue - look again, drive again, get more details on the problem areas. At that point it may be more obvious to keep going or to move on.
GroupB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 02:29 AM   #5
Platinum Member

A lot depends on the price. If it is low enough to cover all the problem areas then it may be a good deal. Go ahead and post the price if you feel comfortable. Some of us can give a general idea if it is reasonable.
peteco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 02:59 AM   #6
Bronze Member

$42,000. RT210P, Roadtrek 2008 model, built on a Chevy 2008 chassis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteco View Post
A lot depends on the price. If it is low enough to cover all the problem areas then it may be a good deal. Go ahead and post the price if you feel comfortable. Some of us can give a general idea if it is reasonable.
Old 02-11-2021, 11:19 AM   #7
Platinum Member

Price seems high given the items that need fixing and the interior condition. Dirty interior is surprising as some of the other mods indicate owner was particular about his rig. Mold: is it pervasive in entire unit or just spot mold in a few places? Does everything else major work? AC, fridge, water heater, etc. Some of these are hitting their lifespan. Also, how many miles? Is it close to where you live so you could get an inspection of the chassis mechanical? Particularly the front steering components are prone to wear especially if not maintained.
Old 02-11-2021, 04:31 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlee Hokie View Post
$42,000. RT210P, Roadtrek 2008 model, built on a Chevy 2008 chassis.
And the mileage? That 6L engine should be good for 300,000 miles if properly maintained. The 30 amp shore plug and the city water intake might be considered a plus. The faux leather upholstery problem is common in that vintage. The lock and latch problem for the battery drawer is most likely caused by corrosion of the drawer slides, and again a common problem. I would call the price average. You are going to be very hard pressed to find a 2008 RT 210 much under $40,000. I paid $32500 for my 2008 210 with 166,000 miles and felt like I stole it when comparing prices with other 2008 210 for sale on line.
Tiffin Allegro
Foretravel U225
wny-pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 04:39 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbn7hj View Post
There are two negatives about a 2008 that may not be important to you. The electrical drain on the chassis battery during storage is excessive and 2008 was a bad year for quality due to an economic downturn. The owner obviously understands the problems with the addition of the trickle charger.
It is a common problem on all the Chevy Express models no matter what year. It is even a problem with their pick up and suvs.
Tiffin Allegro
Foretravel U225
Old 02-11-2021, 04:44 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wny-pat View Post
It is a common problem on all the Chevy Express models no matter what year. It is even a problem with their pick up and suvs.

I can't speak about their other vehicles, but we have seen on this forum and others that the 2008 vans were significantly worse for parasitic loss than those before or after them, killing starting battery is as little as a week. Our 2007 will go at least 3 weeks or more depending on the battery size and age we have in it.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 04:50 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
I can't speak about their other vehicles, but we have seen on this forum and others that the 2008 vans were significantly worse for parasitic loss than those before or after them, killing starting battery is as little as a week. Our 2007 will go at least 3 weeks or more depending on the battery size and age we have in it.
Just saying that if your google it, there are many Chevy truck/suv/vans with the problem.
Tiffin Allegro
Foretravel U225
Old 02-11-2021, 05:03 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wny-pat View Post
Just saying that if your google it, there are many Chevy truck/suv/vans with the problem.

It may be, I have no idea of all the others, but in this case the comment was made about it by another poster in relation to the 2008 being considered by the OP and to say all of them are that way, which is not correct in this case, could mislead the OP that since all of them are this way it is not a viable consideration when looking at a 2008. IMO, the parasitic loss may or may not be an issue for any given user, but for many it is because you have to either have trickle charging of some sort or a battery disconnect if you don't drive it a reasonable distance every week. Personally, I would avoid a 2008 unless it was a very good deal, as the inconvenience is just not worth it to me when other years are OK.
Old 02-12-2021, 01:29 AM   #13
Bronze Member

Default No, it's not really that close.

Including the time looking at it, and taking it for a relatively short test drive, it was a long 12 hour day. Just south of Charlotte, NC to Richmond VA.

I too had expected a pretty clean interior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteco View Post
Price seems high given the items that need fixing and the interior condition. Dirty interior is surprising as some of the other mods indicate owner was particular about his rig. Mold: is it pervasive in entire unit or just spot mold in a few places? Does everything else major work? AC, fridge, water heater, etc. Some of these are hitting their lifespan. Also, how many miles? Is it close to where you live so you could get an inspection of the chassis mechanical? Particularly the front steering components are prone to wear especially if not maintained.
Old 02-12-2021, 02:04 AM   #14
Platinum Member

I live in Hampton, though right now in Florida until April. If one pops up locally I will let you know if you want. Send me your phone if you want me to text or call if I see one. Will let you know about 190's also.
Old 02-12-2021, 03:26 PM   #15
Platinum Member

There are 3 Roadtrek 210s for sale in my area.
Two are on Graigslist, another one in the Orlando Area. RTs are bringing a good price.

I am getting offers for my 2007 RT210 Versatile with 31200 miles on for alot more than I purchased it for.

My local RV dealer (family owned for over 50 years) who maintains our RV says that he has never seen it like this before. I keep detailed maintenance records for our RV and he told me that that will bring more value if and when we go to sell it.
RAA357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 06:58 PM   #16
Bronze Member

There are very few Roady's on the market. I just looked at Craig's List in both Daytona Beach and Orlando, and didn't see any Roadtreks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAA357 View Post
There are 3 Roadtrek 210s for sale in my area.
Two are on Graigslist, another one in the Orlando Area. RTs are bringing a good price.

I am getting offers for my 2007 RT210 Versatile with 31200 miles on for alot more than I purchased it for.

My local RV dealer (family owned for over 50 years) who maintains our RV says that he has never seen it like this before. I keep detailed maintenance records for our RV and he told me that that will bring more value if and when we go to sell it.
Old 02-12-2021, 07:07 PM   #17
Platinum Member

if searching classified ads also search for misspellings such as " Roadtrak", road trak road trac, roadtrec etc...

my Pleasure Way was advertised as a "Plseureway" and the seller had no ad responses for months ( while I watched him lower the price) because it wouldn't return in search results

My Harley FLHTC models was listed as an "FLHTZ"

same deal- on both these I saved thousands

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 07:20 PM   #18
Platinum Member

Just looked again and found these

2006 RT190. Ft. Piece
2001 RT170 Sarasota
2011 RT 210 Popular. Ft. Meyers
2003 RT 190 Popular Miami
RAA357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 08:46 PM   #19
Platinum Member

You can do a Google advanced search for Craigslist and it will find all of them listed in the whole country.

https://www.google.com/advanced_sear...022&prmd=imvns

you would put your "Roadtrek 210" in the top line.

and "Craigslist.org" in the line for site or domain

Then just click the "advanced search" button.
Old 02-13-2021, 04:15 PM   #20
Platinum Member

There is a poster on the "new" Yahoo board that is talking about selling his 2008 210 with 40K miles on it.

https://roadtrekkers.groups.io/g/RT/...0,2,0,80612748