Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-22-2020, 11:55 PM   #1

Default Sometimes won't start - 2000 Dodge Roadtrek

I have a 2000 Roadtrek 190 Versatile. Sometimes she won't start. If I wait 10 - 20 minutes it will usually start right up. When this happens it turns over. Battery checked out fine and jumping doesn't make a difference. I changed the ignition coil and thought that fixed it, but no... Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
journeyman28778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 11:57 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Does it happen hot or cold? Any consistencies as to when it happens?
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 11:59 PM   #3

It seems that it's when it's cold, but not positive. It only happens about once a week or so, so I haven't picked up on a pattern yet. Pretty sure though that it is after it has had time to cool down.
Old 11-23-2020, 12:13 AM   #4
Platinum Member

I would do an internet search by vehicle and engine with the symptoms and see if it is a common occurrence. Pay particular attention for ignition switch and relay issues (it may have them for ignition, fuel pump, run circuit, etc.)
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 12:15 AM   #5

I had read somewhere about the ignition switch. Can a faulty switch allow it to turn over but not start? If so, help me understand. Thanks
Old 11-29-2020, 04:23 PM   #6

Default Gastineaurower

Had a similar mystifying problem with a 2008 Adventurous on a Sprinter body, which may be totally different, but the problem turned out to be the HOUSE batteries were dead. The ignition switch was receiving a message that batteries were dead when the engine battery was fine. Worth a check.
Gastineaurower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 07:17 PM   #7
otr
Gold Member

Does it turn over and not start, or not even turn over?
otr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 07:22 PM   #8
Bronze Member

You didn't say which engine but it probably doesn't matter: we had a 2000 Xplorer with 360 CID gas engine. It had similar symptoms which turned out to be a faulty coil wire. If coil/plug wires are original it wouldn't hurt to change them out.
Frankshay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 07:50 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by journeyman28778 View Post
I have a 2000 Roadtrek 190 Versatile. Sometimes she won't start. If I wait 10 - 20 minutes it will usually start right up. When this happens it turns over. Battery checked out fine and jumping doesn't make a difference. I changed the ignition coil and thought that fixed it, but no... Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
I had same problem on my 1995 dodge roadtrek About two years ago,I did change the crankshafts sensor it seems my problem was solve.
Renwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 11:47 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by otr View Post
Does it turn over and not start, or not even turn over?
It just turns over, but doesn't start. If I wait a while it will start right up, as usual
Old 11-29-2020, 11:48 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankshay View Post
You didn't say which engine but it probably doesn't matter: we had a 2000 Xplorer with 360 CID gas engine. It had similar symptoms which turned out to be a faulty coil wire. If coil/plug wires are original it wouldn't hurt to change them out.
Thanks- I changed all the plug wires and recently changed the ignition coil- I thought that fixed it, but it didn't.
Old 11-29-2020, 11:50 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renwick View Post
I had same problem on my 1995 dodge roadtrek About two years ago,I did change the crankshafts sensor it seems my problem was solve.
Crankshaft sensor- OK, I'll look into that. Thanks
Old 11-30-2020, 04:15 PM   #13

You seem to have checked out electrical issues. Could it be a fuel delivery problem? After the initial cranking perhaps fuel has started to deliver to the engine but not quite. At the second attempt, fuel has reached the injectors, etc. and is ready to go. Perhaps problem with dirty injectors? Hopefully not the fuel pump. Check to see if it starts again shortly after shutdown i.e. if it does, fuel is readily available as opposed to no start after the vehicle has sat for some time and fuel has drained back (faulty pump).
versatile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 06:11 PM   #14

Do yourself a favor, buy this OBDII dongle and download the app to your phone. I have same unit you have, a 2000 Dodge RT 190 Versatile and this app/dongle combo has allowed me to home in on the problem. I had a similar problem and it was the idle sensor unit. It would start and die right away. The app told me what the problem was.

https://www.amazon.com/BAFX-Products...language=en_US
hecbom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 03:37 AM   #15
Platinum Member

Likely code P1388, Automatic Shut Down (ASD) relay. One of the fixes for this is to replace the crankshaft sensor as noted above. It may also be a wiring issue from the relay to the harness on the firewall or the relay itself.

Also view the following if you do not have access to an ODB code reader.

1. Turn ignition on with engine off. Using scan tool, actuate ASD relay. Listen for clicking sound at ASD relay. The ASD relay is located in power distribution center at driver's side front corner of engine compartment. See Fig. 54 . If clicking sound is heard at ASD relay, go to next step. If clicking sound is not heard at ASD relay, go to step 4 .

2. Stop actuation of ASD relay. Inspect wiring harness and connectors between ASD relay and PCM. PCM is located at passenger's side rear corner of engine compartment. If no problems exist, go to next step. If any problems exist, repair wiring or connectors as necessary. Perform TEST VER-2A .

3. Start engine and allow engine to idle. Wiggle wiring harness and connectors between ASD relay and PCM. If engine does not stall while wiggling wiring harness and connectors, test is complete. If engine stalls while wiggling wiring harness and connectors, repair wiring or connectors as necessary that cause engine to stall. Perform TEST VER-2A .

4. Turn ignition off. Remove ASD relay from power distribution center. Note cavities in power distribution center for ASD relay. See Fig. 54 . Turn ignition on with engine off. Using voltmeter, check voltage at cavity No. 86 (Light Green/Black wire) in power distribution center for ASD relay. If voltage is more than 10 volts, go to next step. If voltage is 10 volts or less, repair open between ignition switch, fuse No. 9 (10-amp) and Light Green/Black wire between fuse No. 9 and cavity No. 86 in power distribution center for ASD relay. Fuse No. 9 is located in junction block on end of driver's side of instrument panel, near door opening. Perform TEST VER-2A .

5. Note which terminals on ASD relay correspond with cavities in power distribution center. See Fig. 54 . Using ohmmeter, check resistance between terminals on ASD relay that correspond with cavities No. 85 and 86 in power distribution center. If resistance is less than 100 ohms, go to next step. If resistance is 100 ohms or more, replace ASD relay. Perform TEST VER-2A .

6. Ensure ignition is off and ASD relay is still removed from power distribution center. Disconnect PCM connectors. PCM is located at passenger's side rear corner of engine compartment. Using ohmmeter, check resistance between cavity No. 85 (Dark Blue/Yellow wire) in power distribution center for ASD relay and terminal No. 3 (Dark Blue/Yellow wire) on PCM connector C3. If resistance is less than 5 ohms, go to next step. If resistance is 5 ohms or more, repair open on Dark Blue/Yellow wire between PCM and cavity No. 85 in power distribution center for ASD relay. Perform TEST VER-2A .

7. Ensure ASD relay is still removed from power distribution center and PCM connectors are still disconnected. Using ohmmeter, check resistance between ground and terminal No. 3 (Dark Blue/Yellow wire) on PCM connector C3. If resistance is 5 ohms or more, replace PCM. Perform TEST VER-2A . If resistance is less than 5 ohms, repair short to ground on Dark Blue/Yellow wire between PCM and cavity No. 85 in power distribution center for ASD relay. Perform TEST VER-2A .
Bruceper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 11:35 PM   #16

Thank you for this. The problem seemed to go away, but back again (of course). I've printed this out and will look into it- many thanks!

Tags
won't start