Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2020, 02:05 PM   #1

Default Spare or not

A year ago I purchased a 2011 Pleasure-way Lexor 15,000 original miles since then we have put on another 12,000 miles, 27,000 miles on the 10 yr old tires, the tires still look great no cracking and a lot of tread left. I know that tires should be replaced after so many years regardless of condition, with that said and already having a few trips planned I do plan on new tires. Suggestions/ideas I am looking for is should I replace 5 tires including the spare (which has never been used) or just 4 and remove the unused spare and in its place add a storage box for outdoor chairs and table. ( not much storage space under the sofa bed in this model)
As I am a guy that wears suspenders and a belt at the same time, I am concerned about getting a flat with no spare in the middle of no where, so any suggestions regarding outside storage while still carrying the spare on this model. Not really interested in a hitch mounted storage system, Thanks in advance.
rpns51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 03:51 PM   #2
Platinum Member

From what I've read, you've already stretched the 10 yr. old tires beyond all prudent recommendations. So, I applaud your decision to replace them.

I wouldn't, however, have a problem with a 10 yr. old spare since it is unlikely to be used more than 50-100 miles at most and just to get you to a tire shop.

That being said, I purchased 5 new tires recently due to the fact I got one of the last sets of Michelin Defender LTX M/S (now discontinued) in my size. My thinking was that I had a matching tread pattern should I ruin one of other four. Plus, I too had a 10 yr. old original spare and now have the peace of mind that I won't need to worry about my spare age for at least another 10 yrs.

As an aside, when I first read your title, I thought it would be a question on whether to carry a spare at all. Some new "b's" do not come with a spare and given I've not had a tire failure in over 40 years, I've thought it would be nice to remove 100lbs., 8 inches of length, and a major obstruction to accessing the rear storage. But like you, I'm a belt & suspenders guy. Plus, I've always superstitiously felt that fate would show me who's boss if I ever cut corners on preparedness.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 05:03 PM   #3
Platinum Member

With nine years in I would replace 5. wit 5-7 years in I would replace 4. I don’t mind having an aged out spare but there are limits.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 10:05 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Do a 5 tire rotation with the new set of 5 tires.
peteco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 05:20 PM   #5
Platinum Member

We kept our Roadtrek's unused spare for about twelve years. When we replaced the tires two years ago with Michelin Defenders we replaced the spare with a less expensive tire.
rtbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 07:17 PM   #6
Bronze Member

When I bought my RT, my mechanic told me to replace the tires. They had great tread and no cracking, so I decided to one more trip first. That was when I had a blowout, what an idiot I was, it saved nothing! I bought 5 Michelin’s and I now rotate all 5, with 40,000 miles on the new 5 tires, and 3 years old. But my most important decision was to add TPMS. It has saved me once too, worth every cent!
Roadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 07:32 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Default Spare Tire

JMHO, I got rid of mine, 08 Lexor TS. If I get a flat, I'll pick up the phone. I travel about 3-4 months and never that far off the beaten path. Something about jacking up 9200 pounds and messing with lug nuts makes me nuts.
ChicagoTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 09:44 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoTom View Post
JMHO, I got rid of mine, 08 Lexor TS. If I get a flat, I'll pick up the phone. I travel about 3-4 months and never that far off the beaten path. Something about jacking up 9200 pounds and messing with lug nuts makes me nuts.
Agree. And I've always worked on cars. In the original paperwork from the dealer for my 97 PW, one of the bullets said "Don't change a tire; call for roadside assistance." Which brings up my question:

Is there an app where you can type in your location and have it give you various close places to call for roadside assistance for a RV?
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 10:45 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Default Waze and Allstays

If I got a flat I would first try the number on my insurance card. I also use GPS like most. My TomTom and Waze (Free GPS) have search features too and with Waze I can even text the exact location.
Old 02-14-2020, 06:28 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Here are the choices for me. I can get on the phone and try to call AAA or my insurance company for help, assuming I am even in an area with cell coverage. If not, I have to hitch hike to the nearest town just to use my phone. Then when I finally get ahold of them I have to wait for them to find the nearest towing service. Then I have to wait for the towing service to finish with the other 3 people on their list. Then if I don't even have a spare tire for them to use, I have to wait for them to find the correct tire and wheel combination. Then I probably have to pay them myself up front and file a claim with my insurance company later. Since they probably don't take a credit card, I have to have enough cash to cover it. Knowing that they have me completely over the barrel, I have to hope that they don't take advantage of the situation to help them pay for their upcoming Hawaii trip .

The other option is that I take 20 minutes out of my day and change the tire. Luckily I planned ahead for this situation and made sure my jack works properly and the lug nuts are hand tightened so I know that I can get them off.

It doesn't really seem like a difficult decision for me but to each his own.
jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 06:42 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Like I said, JMO, you do it your way and I'll do it mine. I full timed and traveled for well over a year, and never ever was I unable to get a signal. I got my tires at Discount Tire, a brand that's easy to replace. You posted hand tightened lug nuts, assuming on the spare. LOL How about getting the lug nuts off the flat tire? Nice to know that you can change a tire in 20 minutes on an approximate 10,000 pound vehicle. Good luck! LOL
Old 02-14-2020, 07:10 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Understandably, some people are not capable of a tire change. Of course, there are no lug nuts on the spare and the jack does the lifting and doesn't really care if it is 2000 lbs or 10,000 lbs.

My simple point is that electing to get rid of a spare tire can easily turn a 20 min repair into an all day nightmare and it is even worse if you travel in places like the mountains where there often is no cell coverage. The simple solution - I will just call the insurance company - may not be very simple at all.
jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 07:24 PM   #13
Platinum Member

You worry too much...JMHO Trust me, I'm more than capable, but chose not to. As another mentioned the same as me, I spent some years, as a kid, working in a gas/service station, and have changed many tires over the years. So you loosen up the lugs. Wow! Good bye, and feel free to get the last word/reply in. I suspect that's how you live your life.
Old 02-14-2020, 07:58 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Well, I didn't "choose" not to have a spare, that is how my nw PW Plateau came. Most likely, if I did not already have a bike rack and a cargo rack on the back, I would have bought a tire carriet to mount on teh back door or hitch.

But even there, I am not sure -as it is, my van "Just" fits our driveway, with a tire mounted on the back, technically it would encroach on the the city sidewalk. Not by much, but we have some very picky bylaw officers we we live - so far I am pushing my luck just keeping the RV in the drive year round!

On the other hand tires are a whole lot better than they use to be I believe. We drove our 30 foot dual axle trailer and 3/4 ton truck back and forth across the continent for the last ten years with never a flat.

I do what I can to mitigate the chances of a major tire failure.

I have always been a big believer in TPMS - always had that on our tow vehicles and trailers. Experts say that the largest casue of blowouts is ectensive running of tires in an under-inflated state.

With TPMS not only do I know my tire pressures constantly, but if ever I should develop a slow leak due to a nail or similar, I will know that in plenty of time to deal with a small problem before it becomes a big one. I carry three different types of tire plugging kit in addition to the equipment that PW provided.

As well, I have learned over the years that just because a tire looks good and has adequate tread remaining you must also consider its age - and I do that.

I always do a complete walk around of the van at every stop en route, fuel, rest, etc. I focus mainly on examining teh tires but also look for any other issues, especially with the racks on the rear.

I still would probably prefer to have a spare - even if, at my age I might not want to change it myself, but at least just to have it on hand.

But thinking about my past history, and the way I now travel, I am not terribly worried about not having one!

Sure I may have a problem one day, but I will deal with it if it happens! I think if I get a blow out, the worst that could happen is I get teh AAA to drive me and my wheel to a tire shop and then - though it likely will cost me more - get them, or the tore shop tp drive me back to the van.

We don't ever get far from major roads so that is a factor too!

If I get too many blowouts (never had one in my 77 years!) I'll change my views!

Brian.
<<B-Guy>> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 08:16 PM   #15
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpns51 View Post
A year ago I purchased a 2011 Pleasure-way Lexor 15,000 original miles since then we have put on another 12,000 miles, 27,000 miles on the 10 yr old tires, the tires still look great no cracking and a lot of tread left. I know that tires should be replaced after so many years regardless of condition, with that said and already having a few trips planned I do plan on new tires. Suggestions/ideas I am looking for is should I replace 5 tires including the spare (which has never been used) or just 4 and remove the unused spare and in its place add a storage box for outdoor chairs and table. ( not much storage space under the sofa bed in this model)
As I am a guy that wears suspenders and a belt at the same time, I am concerned about getting a flat with no spare in the middle of no where, so any suggestions regarding outside storage while still carrying the spare on this model. Not really interested in a hitch mounted storage system, Thanks in advance.
I recently replaced a leaking rear tire with spare that I keep at S/B, then had Costco repair the leaking tire, then remounted to replace the spare. This was the first tire issue in 5 years of RV ownership and over 20 years of intermittent RV rental. Was not that difficult as I had the appropriate tools: breaker bar & pipe to increase leverage, 21 mm socket. 3' socket extension and torque wrench (all 1/2" drive). Also, factory scissors jack, wheel chocks, and bottle jack to use as jack stand. All of these now fit into the driver's side rear storage compartment of my Travato 59G. I also carry a 120 VAC tire inflator and Fix-a-Flat. I now plan to carry the spare, once I determine how to mount, from the many available options, on the Travato.
AreCF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 08:21 PM   #16
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AreCF View Post
I recently replaced a leaking rear tire with spare that I keep at S/B....
What or where is "S/B"?
Old 03-12-2020, 08:28 PM   #17
Platinum Member

I haven't had a spare in my last two class B's driving 155,000 miles including Alaska and back without an incident. If it happens, it happens. No different than an accident or other failed parts. It would just be an inconvenience vs. not having to deal with carrying a spare tire for 155,000 miles. I had a spare for the first 61,000 miles of a total of 216,000 miles and never used it. ::k, knock on wood:::
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 09:19 PM   #18
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
What or where is "S/B"?
S/B = "Sticks & Bricks" home.
AreCF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 11:48 PM   #19
Platinum Member

in my household we have 4 vehicles, including the RV.

In the past... let's say 7 years, not one spare tire has ever been needed. (it took me a while to learn to stop hitting potholes when I went from a truck to a Kia Soul).

I still keep a spare in every vehicle.

Replace 5, and do the 5-tire rotation mentioned above.
-Winnie ERA 170M ("906" 3500 Sprinter, 6cyl Diesel)
BigFatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 10:41 AM   #20
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
I haven't had a spare in my last two class B's driving 155,000 miles including Alaska and back without an incident. If it happens, it happens. No different than an accident or other failed parts. It would just be an inconvenience vs. not having to deal with carrying a spare tire for 155,000 miles. I had a spare for the first 61,000 miles of a total of 216,000 miles and never used it. ::k, knock on wood:::
Good to hear since our B+ did not come with a spare.
paddy is offline   Reply With Quote