Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2021, 04:19 PM   #21
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteco View Post
I could not get the plug in, even the smaller diameter one. I have done plugs many times before without problem. When I returned home I had the tire repaired properly, with a combination plug/patch from the inside.
Yikes. I carry a plug kit but I've only plugged a tire once before. If a situation like yours were to arise, what would be viable options since this is an emergency situation?

Could I drill out the hole to make it large enough for the smaller plug to insert?

Could I use a lubricant like liquid soap to help insert the plug, or would this cause the plug to not adhere?
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 05:58 PM   #22
Platinum Member

I have the Safety Seal kit. It is made in USA and very heavy duty and good quality. It has a reamer, small and large thickness plug, and lubricant. I just could not get the plug in even after reaming, lubricating and using the thinner plug. I worked it pretty hard and probably would have eventually got it in. But it was hot, and I already had the spare on. I was patching it to have a usable spare onboard for the rest of my trip. I was only 150 miles from home so I figured I would be OK, and just get the tire repaired properly when I got home.

I did learn that the patch kit should only be considered a temporary repair. The problem is that if water gets into the patch area it can rust the steel cords and result in a tire failure down the line. As I said I have patched several tires in the past (smaller car tires, not the big 16" Roadtrek tire) and never had a problem. I will still patch a tire if I can in an emergency, but will have that temporary patch replaced by the proper patch when I can. And I will still carry a spare.
peteco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 05:59 PM   #23
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GallenH View Post
Like mloganusda, had a rear tire separation on 2-lane in NW Arizona. Was able to pull into a cell tower access area. Sunday. The roadside assistance from my insurance estimated 3-4 hours. Took off cover to check spare. It was ok. AZ DOT truck pulled in at about same time. The guy had all the equipment and changed out the tire for me on the spot. Wouldn't accept any $$. I don't think that other states have that type of gov assistance, though. Glad I had the spare.
Arizona Nice.

A few years ago a Missouri State Park ranger stopped and helped me change a camper trailer tire. He recognized me from the park, insisted on changing the tire for me, had me follow him to the nearest Goodyear dealer and asked the dealer to make sure they took care of me -- 'cause I was from out of state.

Missouri Nice.

But changing a one-ton dually tire on the side of the road isn't going to be fun, so my first choice will be to call Coachmen.
Old 07-22-2021, 03:40 AM   #24
Silver Member

Quote:
I just could not get the plug in even after reaming, lubricating and using the thinner plug. I worked it pretty hard and probably would have eventually got it in.
I had one recently that was a bear like that. It was a small hole caused by a small screw. I used a hammer to help drive it in, and split a couple plugs before i was successful.Luckily, I was in my driveway so there was no urgent pressure on me, just stubbornness.
rogerstg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 02:45 PM   #25
Platinum Member

Quote:
I have the Safety Seal kit. It is made in USA and very heavy duty and good quality. It has a reamer, small and large thickness plug, and lubricant. I just could not get the plug in even after reaming, lubricating and using the thinner plug.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerstg View Post
I had one recently that was a bear like that. It was a small hole caused by a small screw. I used a hammer to help drive it in, and split a couple plugs before i was successful.Luckily, I was in my driveway so there was no urgent pressure on me, just stubbornness.
This thread has been a good discussion and made me realize my backup plan might not actually work.

I hadn't even looked at my kit closely to discover it has a reamer and lube included. The last plug I did was over 15 yrs. ago and on a scooter tire. It is now obvious to me that plugging a 6 ply truck tire is a totally different animal.

So I will continue to carry a spare and be content with "rather have it and not need it" peace of mind. I'd always intended to have the tires swapped by roadside serrvice rather than trying to change the tires myself. I might attempt it myself under perfect conditions (away from traffic on a level paved surface) but only if unable to get roadside help.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 04:31 PM   #26
Gold Member

I have lost the tread on 2 Mischlen tires I had on a new used MH that still had the tits on the tires (maby 200 miles on them), The spair was lopsided and unuseable. Mischlen said pound sand, the tires were 7 years old. The MH was a Lesharo a small class B.

The last time I had a flat on my newest Simplicity 2019 was from a nail. I pulled the nail and screwed in a screw that fit tight. That held air untill I made it home.

Im 76 and with a floor jack I rotated the tires this year myself. Not that bad if you dont plan on dead lifting the tire.

I would like to get a spair though, I have had several flats in the last 10 years. I do a lot of boon docking, maybe thats why.
larrylwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 04:43 PM   #27

Default Spare tire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donjackw View Post
Have Roadtrek Zion SRT 2021 and realize there is no spare tire. What is the smart thing to do? Flat fixer, or ?
I have a friend who is a Roadtrek owner and is also a roadside assistance truck driver. He says that it is really important to make sure that you have a spare tire because what if you get a blowout and your tire can’t be repaired? You would have to get a new tire but sometimes that isn’t always so easy. If you’re traveling somewhere out in the boonies and it’s a weekend it could be a couple of days until you could get a new tire.
Ygnacia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 04:53 PM   #28
Bronze Member

CA also has the DOT trucks cruising the main highways and freeways. They will change a tire, put a couple gallons of gas in the tank, wiggle wires under the hood, or tow you...whatever is needed. It's a great service.
MarkS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 05:23 PM   #29
Bronze Member

Forget the can-o-goo & buy a full sized spare & a rear door spare tire mount & have them install it while it's in the shop, & then get AAA, Good Sam or other RV Roadside Assistance coverage (add later if you have it on the new RT).

Even if you don't change it yourself as a Senior - you'll have a "real" spare tire for the service to change, & won't be limited by the 50-80 +/- range of either Goo or the collapsible spares, & can get the flat fixed or replaced at the next stop with the tire center covering your tires/brand.

PS - Make sure to rotate the spare into the road tires' rotations, so that they all wear evenly during their max 5-8 year life, then change them all at at the latest 7-8 years whether good tread or not, due to the unseen flaws/cracks that develop inside the tires. Spare as well, & regular rotation of the spare will get it moving to keep the rummer emollients spread around so it will last as long as the other 4.

Despite whatever the "lucky ones" said about no or few flats - the truth is that you never know when that random nail or debris will show up on the road you're running!

To not carry a spare, is like driving with no insurance (aside from legal requirements to do so) - and yet most naysayers on here would never drive their RVs without insurance for those few chances of getting hit, solo accident, etc. & yet will flaunt fate without a spare tire (or run flats, etc.).

The truth is that auto, truck & RV makers are trying to save both weight (for mpg ratings) & costs by eliminating spares - for a can of goo & air pump, run flats, or inferior collapsible spares. But you don't have to!

It's also a good idea to carry a good compact 12v air pump in your "tool & spares kit" to top up tire pressures on both your RV & bikes, jump start Lithium Battery unit &/or jumper cables, & any other known spare that you commonly may need on your RT.

Safe Travels & Happy Camping!
Tom
///////
1970 Eriba Puck, +/- 5th owner since 2018
1960 Avion T20, +/- 4th owner since 2012
Tom_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 05:47 PM   #30
Platinum Member

Default Spare tire is handy when and if you need it

I'm grateful for having a spare tire right underneath the vehicle, standard equipment.

I understand that a lot of new car manufacturers eliminated spare tires on a lot of vehicles and substituted a compact spare or just an inflatable can.

Although, to their credit, Subaru now has a full sized spare on the new Subaru Outback.

When you need it you'll find out really fast why having one is very advantageous. It's sad that manufacturers are cheaping out on this. They are probably also trying to save weight on the vehicle, but, no matter how you spin it, no spare tire is very inconvenient.
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 05:51 PM   #31
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_T View Post
To not carry a spare, is like driving with no insurance (aside from legal requirements to do so) - and yet most naysayers on here would never drive their RVs without insurance for those few chances of getting hit, solo accident, etc. & yet will flaunt fate without a spare tire (or run flats, etc.).
Interesting analogy.
As a matter of fact, not only do I not carry a spare, I also select the highest available deductible on vehicle insurance. (I'm certain that I am way, way ahead on that one over the years, "tempting fate" notwithstanding.)

There are dozens of important things that I might need on the road but don't carry. I doubt that a spare tire belongs in the top 10 when it comes to the probability of needing it, or the consequences of not having it. As I keep asking, do you carry a spare alternator? They are much harder to find, just as important, have a rather high failure rate, and take up less space. What is so special about spare tires over any other spare part?
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 07:17 PM   #32
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
Interesting analogy.
As a matter of fact, not only do I not carry a spare, I also select the highest available deductible on vehicle insurance. (I'm certain that I am way, way ahead on that one over the years, "tempting fate" notwithstanding.

There are dozens of important things that I might need on the road but don't carry. I doubt that a spare tire belongs in the top 10 when it comes to the probability of needing it, or the consequences of not having it. As I keep asking, do you carry a spare alternator? They are much harder to find, just as important, have a rather high failure rate, and take up less space. What is so special about spare tires over any other spare part?
Avanti -

What is so special, is that your alternator comparison is not subject to road hazards - whereas a tire can get a flat.

You'll need a new alternator far less likely, than a flat tire chances.

However, if you have classic cars where parts are hard to get or not available - then you may just carry a spare alternator & other hard to find parts for any long road trip

I have 3 classic cars - `73 Porsche 914, `85 BMW 325e E30 & `88 VW Westfalia (Class B on here) - the last 2 of which we tow our 1970 Eriba Puck - so I carry more critical spare parts now, than I ever did before.

FYI All - auto/truck makers are only required to support parts for their vehicles for 15 years, so after then its very hard to get factory/OEM quality parts, & I do suggest that you stock up on spare parts at 12-15 years old.

In fact we burnt out the `88 Westy's engine ECU/ECM in Feb. 2020, & were stuck with new ones being NLA (no longer available), & the ECU rebuilder closed & then slow during COVID, & they lacked any rebuilds ready to sell, but our ECU wasn't rebuildable & not a "core". I now have a spare ECU to carry, along with spare fan belts, spark plugs, etc. in my kit.

Do you carry spare parts on road trips for your Studebaker Avanti (if that's behind your screen name) &/or other classic car(s)/truck(s)?

Yours is not a good analogy nor reason for not carrying a spare tire - because the owner or AAA/etc will change the tire - but it will need to go to a shop for an alternator problem.

So it is apples & kumquats - and really not helpful to the OP's question, & theirs is a new 2021 - so their alternator would be covered by the Dodge/RAM warranty at any dealership, & thereby not an OP question factor in any case.

Hopefully you don't end up posting later that you wished you had a spare, after some road hazard flat incident.

Both of these need spare tires & spare parts & tools etc. in their kits:

PS Avanti -
I've stopped to help others many times with flats over my 54+ years of driving, & when they don't have a spare & the can-o-goo &/or air pump - then I offer to call or tell them to call AAA etc. to get towed to a local tire shop. So you & others choosing to travel without a reliable spare tire would be SOL with me & many other otherwise helpful drivers.

Cheers!
Tom
///////
Old 07-25-2021, 07:31 PM   #33

Sale it to me for 1/2 of what you paid for it and i can take care of the space tire for you you will not have to think about again. Lol
warm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 07:45 PM   #34

Default Spare tire

We have a Travato, no spare tire

I've messed with trying aftermarket tire carrier, no luck, back door blocks.

Decided on GOODSAM road service, they'll bring out a new tire if you break down

Given chances of an actual tire problem , think this option is best, plus UNLIMITED TOWING!
ODABASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 07:47 PM   #35

Default Spare tire

And don't forget the Weight of carrying a spare!
ODABASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 07:48 PM   #36

Smile Roadtrek roadside assistance

Will, Repair, replace tire at our cost of course, or tow..for two years? Whichever is needed. Also have progressive insurance thru usaa and don’t know what they cover.

Thank goodness for solar and lithium batteries.

Thanks all
Donjackw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 07:57 PM   #37
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODABASH View Post
We have a Travato, no spare tire

I've messed with trying aftermarket tire carrier, no luck, back door blocks.

Decided on GOODSAM road service, they'll bring out a new tire if you break down

Given chances of an actual tire problem , think this option is best, plus UNLIMITED TOWING!
Try a Dodge/RAM dealer &/or quality aftermarket REAR DOOR MOUNTED spare tire carrier - & they have some models that will unhook & swing away from the doors if you need clearance.

Mount it on the door with least interference, then you just need to open it most of the time, & can still open both sides when wanted, because it swings out of the way on the door.

BTW - I did not mean those after market bumper mounted spare carriers, which will get in the way of the doors opening. IMHO they're entirely inappropriate for any Class B or van camper or passenger van, because they will block door access.

However, if you prefer wasting extra time to be towed somewhere & then waiting to get the flat fixed - instead of having the spare mounted by Good Sam/etc. - then getting back on the road right away, & getting the flat fixed or tire replaced at your convenience at your next meal or overnight stop .... then you can deal with the irate spouse saying "I told you so!"

That's another tip for donjackw's spouse too!

Cheers!
Tom
///////
Old 07-25-2021, 08:47 PM   #38

As a retired law enforcement officer, I am concerned about a breakdown on a deserted country road. I think I would be stranded for less time if I had a spare tire for my airstream interstate 19. So, tomorrow I am driving to Burnet , Texas to buy a Wilco off-road swing away max xl spare tire carrier to attach to my rear hitch. It does not attach to the rear door or the hinges. It has a second receiver into which I can insert a box to carry hoses and the extra stuff we all need and carry.
jerrysimps@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 09:10 PM   #39
Bud
Platinum Member

So which is more reliable?

Express Van, Promaster, Transit Without a spare or a Sprinter With a spare?

OK, forum have fun figuring that one out.

Avanti may very well toss me off the forum for being a sh*t stir........, troublemaker or the like.................. Kinda fun though
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 12:55 AM   #40
Bronze Member

I have a tire plug kit as well as a can of Fix-A-Flat (for trucks/RV). Along with an air compressor that will pump tires to the required PSI. Regarding air compressors:

1. Not all air compressors will pump up to the 50-80 PSI you may be looking for.

2. If you have to plug into your cig adaptor and run the compressor to the rear tire, the standard 12' compressor cord won't cut it. Oddly, I picked up a cheap-o plug in the wall to female cigarette lighter adapter. No go. Something about the total power being drawn by the compressor that the adapter didn't like. Final solution was a heavy duty cigarette lighter extension cord. In the alternative, you *may* be able to run your compressor off your jump box. Mine worked at least (the newer lithium batt style jump box). What I didn't test is whether the battery would last long enough to pump the whole tire.

Anyhow, it may seem like overkill to have all that in the case of a flat. I am currently on my first trip out west and feel better for being prepared. Lot's of miles w/o cell service (read that: no roadside assistance); plus 100 degree temps do not make for a pleasurable tire change.
Kegan is offline   Reply With Quote