Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2022, 03:59 PM   #1

Default Speaker removal question for 07 Roadtrek Chevy 210Popular

Has anyone removed or related the upper front surround speakers and if so how are they removed?

It looks like I might have shorted/surged my surround sound speakers both front and rear. I can not figure out how to remove the front speakers that are built into the bulkhead. I tried prying the covers off with no success. I do see some screws beyond the cover but can't seem to get them off.

Once i figure out how to remove them next issue is are they repairable or what to replace them with.

I have a Pioneer 5.1 receiver that I was troubleshooting with a Pioneer technician. We went through all the speaker connections to determine which speakers were functioning when we found that the specific speakers were not functioning.
I am just trying to remove the built in speakers in the front bulkhead. The rear appear easy with 4 screws visible.
Rich (aka Travilnguy)
07C210P
Travilnguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 04:58 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Hi, I don't have that model. I work with audio/electronics-

your speaker cover doesnt push in and rotate counter-clockwise ?

you can do the check below and leave the speaker as is

to check speaker operation in place, find the speaker wires and disconnect from amp. apply briefly a 9 volt battery: + to +, - to -
the speaker should thump or click.
if so, you know that the speaker and wiring work.

if you are not sure which wire is which ( + or - ) apply the battery and the speaker should move out towards the speaker grill when the + is +
and you want all your speakers acting same ( "in phase" or working together)

so this test tells you that speaker and wiring are good.

it does not quantify the quality of the sound reproduction- for that you do need to play music into it.

but it will tell you if the problem is in your speaker or your amp/head unit.

car audio is crap... if they use RCA connectors to connect head unit to amp, rotate the plugs and listen for the sound to come back as the oxidisation is scrapped away. if this solves a problem, then remove plugs one at a time applying a little deoxit cleaner, then plug back in

hope this helps you
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 05:07 PM   #3

Thanks Mike. The speaker is a small cube speaker, There is no indication of what brand. The metal gill does not push in or spin.
With the technicians help(over phone) we went through all the speakers to verify which ones worked. We used the wires from what we knew had power and was working and connected to the terminals of the speakers in question. Based upon the results we found which speakers were not working. This installation is for the Entertainment center DVD/TV,etc.

Thanks,
Rich
Roadtrek C210Popular
Travilnguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 01:35 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Do you a Surround Sound system located in the cabinet where the TV antenna Amplifier is. If you do there is a switch on the top of the cabinet that you select Audio from the TV/Surround Sound Stereo or the Vehicle Audio. Also if you have the original Stereo that came with your RT210 you will have to adjust the FADE (Front to Rear ) to get the front speakers to come on. I found this out when i first got my 2007 RT 210V.
I drive with the Front and Rear cube speakers on with the Sub Woofer and just use the rear cube speakers with the Sub Woofer when we are watching TV or listening to the Surround Sound Stere3o.
Old 09-23-2022, 01:49 AM   #5
Platinum Member

On a 2007 it is very possible that the front speakers are wired incorrectly. Ours were on our 2007 190P and several others online said similarly. I spent a whole day testing and tracking wires because Roadtrek refused to send me a wiring diagram.

IIRC, as it was over 10 years ago, there was a connection problem under the board "tray above the driver's seat just above the door. I think it was +/- swap on on speakers with one of speakers mixed up at the splice. The whole thing was a royal PITA without a diagram.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 01:50 AM   #6
Platinum Member

Ours is a 2010 but maybe similar setup.
Left side (right is the same removal method)...open the access door and look at the left latch. Just to the rear of the latch there's a strip of wood. It's attached to the front fascia with 2 screws from the back. Just info , don't need to remove them. There's a square drive screw going thru that wood strip. It retains the speaker. Remove it and the speaker comes out.

PS Booster's right the entire setup is sort of a mess. When I installed a new entertainment unit I removed the speaker selector switch and traced all speaker leads. The new unit had zones A, B, C so I put rear cubes on A, center cubes and sub on B, front cubes on C. We can select zones to play.
TX-Trek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 03:20 AM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travilnguy View Post
We used the wires from what we knew had power and was working and connected to the terminals of the speakers in question.

this is kinda why I suggested a 9 volt battery.

another method may depend on an amp or head unit which is suffering intermittent operations.

for example an amp may shut down a channel if it senses an open or shorted circuit= self protection
if this is happening you chase your tail and have inconclusive results

when I refer to speaker phase, this requires looking at the speaker cone( flashlight) to observe whether the battery makes the speaker cne move forward or back
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote