Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2010, 09:00 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Sportsmobile

Anyone out there have a Sportsmobile van? Really thinking about saving for one with the penthouse roof, but would like to gather info. Been to their site and forums, but not sure how slanted they are. Looking for some more pros and cons and or the difference between that and the PleasureWay Traverse. Sportsmobile is more customizable than the PleasureWay or not?

Thanks all
Old 07-06-2010, 04:13 AM   #2
g1g
Platinum Member

Default Re: Sportsmobile

I don't have one but when I was looking for what I would want, Sportsmobile was on top of my list. I went to the Indiana facility which I believe is the smallest one of the three and spoke to the people and viewed their work. My conclusion is all the parts "refrigerator, toilet, gennerator, etc) are all bought and can be in many other vans so the quality isn't going to be better at a certain mfg. than the other. How it is put together can make a differance as well as the quality and duribility of some basic materials. From what I saw I don't think that is an issue as I believe most have a very good standard of quality. The chassie is all the same so that won't matter from one to the other bringing it down to floorplan and price.
One other factor when I was looking. many of the Bs were actually B+ and I think all of Sportsmobiles were straight Bs. I like the stealty appearance of a straight B. I'll also mention they were the first ones to make a 4X4 available too. I ended up buying a used Coachman because I couldn't pass on the deal I had going, but when my ship comes in I just may be calling Sportsmobile back.
g1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 12:09 AM   #3
Platinum Member

I've never read a Sportsmobile owner badmouth the company. Owners seem to be very happy and I suspect because just about every owner had a hand in the design of his/her Sportsmobile. Pleasure-Way also makes a good B. The one major difference is the Traverse comes in one flavor, one plan and roughly one price with a few options to adjust that price. Sportsmobile gives you infinite choices. I think it is that simple. You just have to decide what is important to you
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 03:11 PM   #4
Gold Member

I have a few friends that have them and after many years still love them! I agree that the fact they had a hand in designing them makes a big difference. Also have never heard a bad word about them. I am obviously pretty fond of our RT, especially after "adjusting" it to my liking, but I would have been just as happy if not more so to do the same to a nice Sportsmobile!

-Mike & Heidi
97 Roadtrek 170P "Taj Ma Trek"
http://WWW.VanTramps.Com
visionquest is offline   Reply With Quote