Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2017, 08:29 PM   #21
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post

Blog post with details as to how I got the new segments manufactured:

REPLACING THE LP FLEX LINES IN AN AIRSTREAM INTERSTATE
Thanks for that. There was already a recall on my rig for a badly routed flexible propane line that leaked and was replaced. Unfortunately, the routing is still the same but perhaps the hose is better. Anyway, your posted reminded me to look underneath and wiggle it to see if it's still holding. It is but replacing all of them in a few years is really good advice, I think.

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
eric1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 11:15 AM   #22
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric1514 View Post
Thanks for that. There was already a recall on my rig for a badly routed flexible propane line that leaked and was replaced. Unfortunately, the routing is still the same but perhaps the hose is better. Anyway, your posted reminded me to look underneath and wiggle it to see if it's still holding. It is but replacing all of them in a few years is really good advice, I think.
I'd like to know how they did it, whether they used another spec hose, and why they approached the issue that way, if they did.

Our buddy got his leaking fill line replaced at an RV servicer - he did that before we had a chance to do the research on what was required for this job. Anyway, the shop used a different spec, and when I showed my hose-maker ("authorized Parker rep") JPGs of that job, he pitched a fit, declaring it unsafe. I'm not clear on the details, but the Parker hoses on our rig were apparently designed with some sort of safety feature intended to prevent them from essentially blowing up in someone's face if over-pressured. Rather than pressure-failing catastrophically in a way that can promote a BLEVE situation, they fail in a manner designed to dissipate the propane (or something like that). That same "engineered weakness" that minimizes the chances of an outright conventional rupture is apparently part of the reason why their corresponding life span is relatively short.

The bottom line as I currently understand it is, there are plenty of stronger hoses that could be placed on an RV, but by prevailing standards they might not be considered safe.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 01:11 AM   #23
Gold Member

Actually I know that place, I’ve gotten propane there several times. After the incident I tried to get some information out of them but they speak almost no English.

I have since switched to another place. They got into a heated “discussion” while the fill valve was open and overfilled my tank. I had to vent it out myself. Good thing I knew to do that.

If you are looking for contributing factors, I have to say that they are not exactly the epitome of professionalism that we have come to expect from the propane filling fraternity.

I always closed my propane valve and shut down the electric before I went over there but they never checked these things and they never asked about it. Not once. I could have had a water heater or a frig running easily.
CaDreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 02:58 AM   #24
Bronze Member

When I filled the other day I was asked:
Is everything turned off?
Is there anyone in the vehicle?
1992 Road Trex 190 Popular
"The Dog House"
NickK is offline   Reply With Quote