Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-07-2014, 06:33 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Sprinter four-bangers now standard with RTs?

I checked with the RT folks... I know the SS Agile gets the four banger, and I'm pretty sure the other models do as well.

Why the wholesale abandoning of the V6? It may have less MPG, but it definitely gives a smoother and more powerful ride, especially in hilly areas, and if towing something. Plus, the V6 has had most of its issues thrashed out, so it is fairly reliable.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 06:41 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: Sprinter four-bangers now standard with RTs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlts22
I checked with the RT folks... I know the SS Agile gets the four banger, and I'm pretty sure the other models do as well.

Why the wholesale abandoning of the V6? It may have less MPG, but it definitely gives a smoother and more powerful ride, especially in hilly areas, and if towing something. Plus, the V6 has had most of its issues thrashed out, so it is fairly reliable.

you are wrong mlts22. Roadtrek is upgrading the agile to 6 cyclinder and all roadtrek sprinters will keep the six. why you may ask-because the Roadtrek engine generator system requires the 6. Jim Hammill has said this. the agile is getting the six so it also can use engine generator

PS-roadtrek is using up the 4 cylinder Agile chassis they have.
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 07:02 PM   #3
Platinum Member

That is good news. When I asked the RT group on FB, I was told the SS had any choice of engine, as long as it was the OM651 four, so things changed for the better.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 07:10 PM   #4
Site Team

I am unaware of any TECHNICAL reason why RT needs to require the 6 in order to add the generator. Is this just a marketing decision, or is there an issue I don't know about?
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 07:17 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlts22
That is good news. When I asked the RT group on FB, I was told the SS had any choice of engine, as long as it was the OM651 four, so things changed for the better.

Jim Hammill has said that if someone wants a 4 cylinder in the agile after they use up the 4 cylinders they have they will special order one if some one wants a 4.

as far as why they want to stick with 6 for engine generator i don't know. the larger sprinter roadtreks are right up to weight max. could they engineer to put engine generator in a 4 -the answer is I don't know.
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 12:16 AM   #6
Platinum Member

Advanced RV is built around a second alternator as standard. The subject never came up that it couldn't be used with the 4 cylinder. The 4 cylinder will perform adequately and better than the old 5 cylinder from test driving it on a fully loaded extended body B and everything I could find. I eventually chose the 6 cylinder because mainly at the time there still wasn't a lot of reliable information out there when I ordered in May and got delivery for conversion in September. Every Advanced RV is special ordered to your desires.

I'd venture to guess at this time it is just a marketing decision by Roadtrek. They don't special order at that early stage level for customers so probably had to make a decision and decided to err on the more powerful side with fleet production ordering. Could it be an incompatibility with their second alternator design? Who knows? They don't tell you much how their system works.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote