Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2020, 03:02 PM   #21
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
It is my understanding that any manufacturer can add proprietary stuff and a 10,000 'scan gage' can see stuff I can't followed by the manufacturer of my Accord passenger car that only Honda can see.
In the case of the Sprinter, the issue isn't so much the availability of OBD codes--there are affordable scanners available that do a pretty good job with the MB-specific codes. Rather, it is the SCN codes that are needed for "critical" repairs, including emissions. These are one-off encrypted "keys" that have to be generated by MB for each individual repair. The service that does this is available to third-party shops, but it is expensive and requires special hardware and special skills, so few of them do it.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 03:50 PM   #22
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
In the case of the Sprinter, the issue isn't so much the availability of OBD codes--there are affordable scanners available that do a pretty good job with the MB-specific codes. Rather, it is the SCN codes that are needed for "critical" repairs, including emissions. These are one-off encrypted "keys" that have to be generated by MB for each individual repair. The service that does this is available to third-party shops, but it is expensive and requires special hardware and special skills, so few of them do it.

That works well for MB, make it extremely complex, proprietary, training intensive, equipment intensive, and ridiculously expensive to buy. May also be vehicle specific so multiple purchases needed. That certainly will keep independents out of it. I know GM has gone all online on their systems so independents need to buy a yearly subscription for access that is pricey, but not outrageous, I think. Making the support for the independents and public pay it's own way is not a problem for me unless they make it totally crazy expensive to keep the indies out of it.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 04:03 PM   #23
Bud
Platinum Member

ok, gm makes it available for less $'s. booster, you're surprised that mb costs more?

Nice to be within 50 miles of someone that my fix my van! ok, I exaggerate, 60 miles.
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 05:12 PM   #24
Platinum Member

Had a 2010 Sprinter. Too many issues and costly maintenance. Switched to a Ford e-450. No problems for 4 years. Just sold it. Looking at way-downsizing to a PM (Trofino).
ilmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 05:52 PM   #25
Platinum Member

Default kmessinger

Based on past posts I believe forum member kmessinger had previously made exactly this switch - from a Sportsmobile Sprinter to Promaster Travato.

I was looking forward to hearing kmessinger's first hand experiences with owning both types. Tried sending a PM message but it looks like those are blocked.

So kmessinger if you happen to see this post we'd love to get your first-hand feedback!
rockymtnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 05:03 AM   #26
Gold Member

you guys have definitely got me rethinking my class-b purchase i thought i was set on buying a sprinter platform. is there something comparable to sprinter platform class-B size that can seat7-9 people, with diesel gas consumption and yet higher reliability?
bumpersignal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 06:53 AM   #27
Platinum Member

What a spirited discussion.

Good points all around.

You can certainly trust the opinions of Class B Owners
Full Timer in a 2005 Roadtrek Versatile 190/Super Modified & Lifted, Two 220ah Lifeline 6 Volt AGMs in Series, 250 watts Solar, Victron BMV712 Meter & Victron MTTP 100V/30A Solar Controller, Magnum MMS1012 Inverter Charger, Onan 2.8 Generator, Novakool R3800 Fridge & more ...
themexicandoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 01:48 PM   #28
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpersignal View Post
you guys have definitely got me rethinking my class-b purchase i thought i was set on buying a sprinter platform. is there something comparable to sprinter platform class-B size that can seat7-9 people, with diesel gas consumption and yet higher reliability?
I’m having a hard time picturing that many belted seating positions in a camper conversion, as well as how you could berth that many and still have room for camper stuff like a galley or toilet. Can you elaborate?
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 01:55 PM   #29
Platinum Member

Quote:

One thing to be sure to consider with that many people is load capacity. 9 people could eat up 1500+ pounds of your load capacity.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 03:07 PM   #30
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
I’m having a hard time picturing that many belted seating positions in a camper conversion, as well as how you could berth that many and still have room for camper stuff like a galley or toilet. Can you elaborate?
I easily built out my son's 170” Sprinter to seat 8, sleep 2 with full garage under. Kitchen and toilet when seating 5. A 159”EXT Promaster would be even easier.

Build Site: msnomersvan.wordpress.com
Travel Site: woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 03:31 PM   #31
Platinum Member

So basically you can have it all, just not all at once...

What woukd you do about proper belted seats in a Promaster? Does it have crash-rated anchor points for aftermarket seats? I like the Tofino concept, but the rear seating has only a lap belt.
Old 09-15-2020, 05:12 PM   #32
Gold Member

Default interstate 24GL 9 passenger

Quote:
See attached pic
Attached Images
File Type: gif interestate_9passenger.gif (50.1 KB, 22 views)
Old 09-15-2020, 05:24 PM   #33
Platinum Member

Quote:
So basically you can have it all, just not all at once...

What woukd you do about proper belted seats in a Promaster? Does it have crash-rated anchor points for aftermarket seats? I like the Tofino concept, but the rear seating has only a lap belt.
PM is marked in the US only as a cargo van—no rear anchors. I personally would not DIY rear seats into the PM. If I needed them, I would only use an upfitter confident enough to warranty the work. I would not trust any seat with only a lap belt—one whiplash is enough for this lifetime. That said, I have seen DIY solutions that look like they could withstand anything.

Build Site: msnomersvan.wordpress.com
Travel Site: woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 07:02 PM   #34
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsNomer View Post
I personally would not DIY rear seats into the PM.
agreed, im not looking for any diy solutions, only made by reputable manufacturer such as winnebago or airstream
Old 09-16-2020, 09:59 PM   #35
RMo
Bronze Member

Quote:
I re-thought my loyalty to Sprinters so much that I just bought a used T@B 400 teardrop trailer! Admittedly the current inflation of B prices had an impact on the decision. We plan to see what we like about towing a trailer, and compare the two lifestyles. We assume at this point we’ll go back to a B when the prices reset, but who knows.

Guess I have to find another forum!
Old 09-16-2020, 10:21 PM   #36
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMo View Post
Admittedly the current inflation of B prices had an impact on the decision.
It seems to me the Inflation is most prominent on the low end of the market prices 70k ish and less. 80k and higher afaictl seems about the same value as it used to be but I could be wrong.
Old 09-16-2020, 11:08 PM   #37
Platinum Member

Quote:
I re-thought my loyalty to Sprinters so much that I just bought a used T@B 400 teardrop trailer! Admittedly the current inflation of B prices had an impact on the decision. We plan to see what we like about towing a trailer, and compare the two lifestyles. We assume at this point we’ll go back to a B when the prices reset, but who knows.

Guess I have to find another forum!

Its common knowledge among the RV Community that the greatest minds (yours truly excluded), live on this site so at the very least, keep participating please.

What are you going to.l be towing the rig with?

Any photos of the new purchase?
themexicandoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 01:00 PM   #38
RMo
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by themexicandoctor View Post
Its common knowledge among the RV Community that the greatest minds (yours truly excluded), live on this site so at the very least, keep participating please.

What are you going to.l be towing the rig with?

Any photos of the new purchase?
Haha, I’m always excluded when it comes to great minds, regardless of the group I belong to.

I have learned a lot from the group and will stick around as I play with my new toy. I’ve attached some pics of the T@B (sitting on the parking pad I recently extended to accommodate a 24 ft Sprinter!). It is really quite nice inside - much lighter and brighter than our Agile, and more roomy too, even with a permanent bed. Storage is more limited but we have the whole back of our Highlander to fill with stuff and a dog.

Will let you know how it goes.

Reed
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BAC1BB37-0299-4B38-BAA0-0176CFE48773.jpg (286.6 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 61F9D4A9-AED7-4F43-8515-A71FD174DC93.jpg (175.9 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 735E8286-7964-4A9B-AE31-656BB9A62374.jpg (144.3 KB, 14 views)
Old 09-17-2020, 02:06 PM   #39
Platinum Member

Quote:
Haha, I’m always excluded when it comes to great minds, regardless of the group I belong to.

I have learned a lot from the group and will stick around as I play with my new toy. I’ve attached some pics of the T@B (sitting on the parking pad I recently extended to accommodate a 24 ft Sprinter!). It is really quite nice inside - much lighter and brighter than our Agile, and more roomy too, even with a permanent bed. Storage is more limited but we have the whole back of our Highlander to fill with stuff and a dog.

Will let you know how it goes.

Reed
Nice, compact, easy-towing trailer. Low cost of entry too.

As one of the few who went class b to trailer (rather than the other way around), I'm interested in pros and cons vs. your short Sprinter Agile.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 04:44 PM   #40

Wow I have really enjoyed reading this thread! Super informative! As a soon-to-be-buyer of a Spinter Revel, I find this info priceless. Im a blog searcher before I buy anything, and the comment on bias is well taken!
We are sailboat cruisers and have the same issues but for boats. Im also an ADV motorcyclist and same for the plethora of bikes and their issues, where manufacturers cut corners to save bucks on a build.
sati8d is offline   Reply With Quote