Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-20-2018, 11:21 PM   #21
Platinum Member

Default Sprinter TPMS?

I installed the rubber stabilizers. They are not that hard to install. When my shop installed mine with a new set of tires they didn't have the rear valves opposite each other. I re-clocked them myself so the valve stems and TMPS sensors were opposite each other on the rear duals.

I didn't have them balanced with the sensors on, but if I do this again I'll probably have them balanced together. I've not had any unusual wear on the rears. But after 60,000 miles the fronts have a slight amount of "cupping" that normally means they are slightly out of balance. It's not enough to notice while driving.
Old 11-21-2018, 12:50 AM   #22
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
I installed the rubber stabilizers. They are not that hard to install. When my shop installed mine with a new set of tires they didn't have the rear valves opposite each other. I re-clocked them myself so the valve stems and TMPS sensors were opposite each other on the rear duals.

I didn't have them balanced with the sensors on, but if I do this again I'll probably have them balanced together. I've not had any unusual wear on the rears. But after 60,000 miles the fronts have a slight amount of "cupping" that normally means they are slightly out of balance. It's not enough to notice while driving.

Boxster - many thanks for the response! I am going to ask my tire shop guy to please do his best to put those rubber stabilisers in as I really do want them there!

I think he was trying to talk me out of it as he maybe anticipates that it will not be easy!

A person I emailed at Borg with a few questions did say that installing of the stabilisers was the most difficult on the the Alcoa wheels compared to other styles.

They said it is best to get the installation started at the ends of the hand hold slot and to push on the rubber flange in with a screwdriver or similar to get the insert in place, and that heating the rubber would help.

I'm thinking maybe a little liquid soap applied around the hand hole might help too.

I will at least ask the garage guy to please at least centre the inner wheel valve up well with the outer wheel hand hole while the wheels are stacked on the ground - Ill even bring him a suitable sized pipe to bend the stem as outlined in the Borg instructions!

I imagine this could be a "Bend, check, repeat" thing, so needs to be done with the wheels off the van

I already did give him the Borg instructions and went over them, noting about having the stems opposite each other on the duals - and also using loctite on the stem nuts.

Tried to do this diplomatically so he wouldn't get too p*ssed off with me for being such a smart ass - and he surely knows a lot more about tires and wheels than I do!!

He seemed a decent guy actually, and didn't argue when I told him the folks at Borg told that it was important that the stabilisers be in place!

If despite all this and I still get the van back without the rubber inserts installed along with whatever excuses I may be given (!), then I will do what I can to get them in place myself!

If I have no better luck, then I have my own thoughts of making a simple aluminum clamp arrangement to stabilise those long valve stems to the outer wheels. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't weigh any more than the rubber stabilisers and think would serve the purpose just as well - and should be a lot easier to install!

Hopefully there won't be an issue with the rubber stabilisers!

Brian.
<<B-Guy>> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 05:46 PM   #23

Default Sprinter 3500 (rear dualies) - Window Sticker says TPMS

We have a 2017 Sprinter 3500 chassis (extended length 24 feet) with dual rear wheels camper van purchased new in 2018 after upfitting.

The Mercedes window sticker specifically lists TPMS as a safety feature included.

However, I am unable to find the TPMS information on the Sprinter dashboard info screens despite following all the steps in the manual. Based on the various postings on this forum, I can only assume that TPMS was not included despite the reference on the window sticker, or as part of the uplifting process it was removed.

Information/recommendations on a third party system for six wheels appreciated!
GTSeattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 07:05 PM   #24
Site Team

For MY2014, TPMS was not available on the 3500. I don't know if that has changed.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 10:45 PM   #25
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTSeattle View Post
We have a 2017 Sprinter 3500 chassis (extended length 24 feet) with dual rear wheels camper van purchased new in 2018 after upfitting.

The Mercedes window sticker specifically lists TPMS as a safety feature included.

However, I am unable to find the TPMS information on the Sprinter dashboard info screens despite following all the steps in the manual. Based on the various postings on this forum, I can only assume that TPMS was not included despite the reference on the window sticker, or as part of the uplifting process it was removed.

Information/recommendations on a third party system for six wheels appreciated!
USA 3500 Sprinters with dual rear wheels have never had TPMS. Mostly because they are not required by USDOT Regulations for vehicle over 10,000 lbs. GVWR or with Dual Rear Wheels (DRW). The 3500 Sprinters with the Super Single rear wheels do have TPMS as it is required by USDOT.

I added the TST system on my Sprinter.
https://tsttruck.com/507-series-6-fl...r-display.html

They also make an internal sensor model. . .
https://tsttruck.com/507-series-6-in...or-system.html

On a side note I notice that Ford is now offering a TPMS as standard on all 2020 Transits, single or dual rear wheels. Just another example of Ford outdoing Mercedes for vans in USA.
Old 02-12-2020, 07:38 PM   #26
Platinum Member

the dual-wheel 3500 gets screwed out of two good systems:

1: TPMS integration with the dashboard
2: the "how far away is that parking meter from my rear bumper" 8-direction distance warning "park assist" system... which, I've been told, works better than almost any after-market part.

And, your dealership will tell you it's "impossible" to install after the fact.
-Winnie ERA 170M ("906" 3500 Sprinter, 6cyl Diesel)
BigFatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 09:06 PM   #27
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatGuy View Post
the dual-wheel 3500 gets screwed out of two good systems:

1: TPMS integration with the dashboard
2: the "how far away is that parking meter from my rear bumper" 8-direction distance warning "park assist" system... which, I've been told, works better than almost any after-market part.

And, your dealership will tell you it's "impossible" to install after the fact.
I only got screwed out of the integrated TPMS. I have the Mercedes Parktronic system on my 3500 EXT Sprinter - works great.
Old 02-12-2020, 09:22 PM   #28
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
I only got screwed out of the integrated TPMS. I have the Mercedes Parktronic system on my 3500 EXT Sprinter - works great.
Freakin' cheap winnibago...
Old 02-12-2020, 10:12 PM   #29
Platinum Member

You shop and buy on the cheap but yet you criticize when you don’t get something?
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 03:33 PM   #30
Platinum Member

Received our 2020 Galleria on a M-B 2019 3500 chassis, in February 2020. No factory TPMS on our unit.

I'll eventually add an aftermarket unit.
Old 03-22-2020, 03:39 PM   #31
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmb496 View Post
Received our 2020 Galleria on a M-B 2019 3500 chassis, in February 2020. No factory TPMS on our unit.

I'll eventually add an aftermarket unit.
Congrats! Hope you get to use it sometime soon.

Don't tarry on getting a TPMS. IMO it is absolutely essential with any 3500. Otherwise, you risk driving for long distances with a failed rear tire, which will soon fail catastrophically, probably taking the other tire with it. Lack of a TPMS can turn a minor failure into a catastrophe.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 06:07 PM   #32
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
Congrats! Hope you get to use it sometime soon.

Don't tarry on getting a TPMS. IMO it is absolutely essential with any 3500. Otherwise, you risk driving for long distances with a failed rear tire, which will soon fail catastrophically, probably taking the other tire with it. Lack of a TPMS can turn a minor failure into a catastrophe.
I agree with you regarding the importance of the TPMS, but its not needed now.

When we first brought the RV home, both of us were eager to begin roaming, but with the nation's social structure changing so quickly, we conformed early on to the suggested self-imposed restrictions. This was substantially prior to any mandates that were put in place. We parked the RV at a storage lot before there was a first trip.

Maybe 2021 will become a gateway year for travel.
Old 07-07-2020, 03:21 PM   #33

The inner duals have some sort of rubber extension stems and so they are not suitable for TPMS sensors.

I have found a kit that offers four replacement metal stems - two reverse curved stems to fix the problem with the outer wheels, and two long all metal stems for the inner duals to replace the rubber extensions.

Looks to be just what I need, so I plan to order the kit and hopefully have a local tire shop install them for me.

Before I order the valve stems, I wonder if anyone else has used them and can advise if there are any issues, or if any different stems are better to use.

Any comments much appreciated!

The stems I found on Amazon are identified as DL1SPAL and I will try to add a link below,

Thanks ......... Brian

https://www.amazon.com/DL1SPAL-Duall...70_&dpSrc=srch

B-Guy:

Did you end up installing the TPMS and the replacement valve stems system? Everything work ok?
Old 07-07-2020, 04:45 PM   #34
Platinum Member

Quote:

B-Guy:

Did you end up installing the TPMS and the replacement valve stems system? Everything work ok?
We haven't got it yet. I had some steel valve extensions installed, but other improvements and life issues have sucked up all my disposable income lately.

Sadly, I have way more plans than money right now.
-Winnie ERA 170M ("906" 3500 Sprinter, 6cyl Diesel)
Old 07-07-2020, 05:13 PM   #35
Platinum Member

Quote:
The inner duals have some sort of rubber extension stems and so they are not suitable for TPMS sensors.

I have found a kit that offers four replacement metal stems - two reverse curved stems to fix the problem with the outer wheels, and two long all metal stems for the inner duals to replace the rubber extensions.

Looks to be just what I need, so I plan to order the kit and hopefully have a local tire shop install them for me.

Before I order the valve stems, I wonder if anyone else has used them and can advise if there are any issues, or if any different stems are better to use.

Any comments much appreciated!

The stems I found on Amazon are identified as DL1SPAL and I will try to add a link below,

Thanks ......... Brian

https://www.amazon.com/DL1SPAL-Duall...70_&dpSrc=srch

B-Guy:

Hi GTSeattle - if your query was directed to me, yes, we bought the Borg stem kit and I already had the TPMS equipt from using it on our previous Airstream trailer.

I had the stems installed by a local tire shop. They tried to talk me out of bothering to use the large rubber filler pieces that fit in the opening in the outer rim where the long valve stem from the inner wheel passes through. I told the shop that I really preferred them to install the rubber pieces (I imagine they can be a bit tricky to get on) because the supplier said they were important to stabilise the long valve stem.

We have made two long trips from Canada to Florida and several shorter trips with the TPMS equipt and all is fine.

I really do appreciate having the TPMS for a bit of peace of mind since I have no spare tire. I believe it considerably increases my chance to find a small leak before it goes undetected (especially on the rear duals) and possibly results in a destroyed tire.

Cheers ........... Brian.
<<B-Guy>> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 05:40 PM   #36

Quote:
Hi GTSeattle - if your query was directed to me, yes, we bought the Borg stem kit and I already had the TPMS equipt from using it on our previous Airstream trailer.

I had the stems installed by a local tire shop. They tried to talk me out of bothering to use the large rubber filler pieces that fit in the opening in the outer rim where the long valve stem from the inner wheel passes through. I told the shop that I really preferred them to install the rubber pieces (I imagine they can be a bit tricky to get on) because the supplier said they were important to stabilise the long valve stem.

We have made two long trips from Canada to Florida and several shorter trips with the TPMS equipt and all is fine.

I really do appreciate having the TPMS for a bit of peace of mind since I have no spare tire. I believe it considerably increases my chance to find a small leak before it goes undetected (especially on the rear duals) and possibly results in a destroyed tire.

Cheers ........... Brian.

Thanks much B-Guy for the updated report. Glad they are working. I'm going to undertake your approach. Appreciate your detailed posts and information!
Old 08-11-2020, 05:04 PM   #37
Silver Member

I'm looking at this system from tire rack. Anyone had any experience with it? I like the installation of the sensors and I think I can still use my flexible valve extensions.
https://www.tirerack.com/tpms/detail...market+Systems
Nspekter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 09:17 PM   #38
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nspekter View Post
I'm looking at this system from tire rack.

This is a long thread with many options

I took the easy way out with a $40 set from amazon, 4 sensor

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It works, it's not costly

I have had a similar set ( same brand name) on my pickup for years

mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote