Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2016, 06:19 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Stabil has been changed, it appears

We have been used to the big 3, regular red Stabil for the non ethanol gas we use in non vehicles, green Stabil for the vehicle tanks if stored, and Seafoam for occasional cleaning in anything, except when we had the genny in, it got it in storage and use also.

Went to Fleetfarm today and the green was gone, and the red was now Stabil Storage and said to good for both pure and ethanol fuels. If true, that minimizes stuff around the house and is good, if it does less of a job on either or both, not so good. Probably time to start watching Bob is the Oil Guy for a while, as I am sure someone there will be all over the change with analysis and such.

Nice for us as I usually have a mix of the pure premium from cans, and ethanol fuel left over from the last trip, in the van over the winter. The old Roadmaster I would just treat with the red most of the time, even though it was ethanol fuel in it, and it has done OK, too.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 09:32 PM   #2
Platinum Member

I've had good luck with stabil- but I did notice recently that my 2001 GMC p/u and my 2009 Harley both had an off idle stumble when in open loop operation... cold motor.
This is a current formulation which they sent me as samples

I asked stabil about this and they couldn;t suggest anything.

ran through fresh gas and all better.

Unhappy previous experience w/ seafoam. I dont use it

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 02:17 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Mike; what was your bad exp. W/ seafoam? We use it a lot here in Yav. Co.
Especially in Motos, both road & dirt bikes. Thnx, Ric.
AZ ADVenturist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 03:22 PM   #4
Gold Member

I had used Stabil (with good results) for as long as I can remember. What got me though was Stabil having their usual red Stabil and their Ethanol Stabil, which apparently were the same mixtures (as reported when I contacted Stabil), however the ethanol branded one was much more expensive. Liked the product just not how they marketed it. Have slowly switch just about all of my gear oils, stabilizers (for both gas and diesel) over to Amsoil. Ha, and I don’t like the marketing bs...
sheral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 04:13 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bobojay

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheral View Post
I had used Stabil (with good results) for as long as I can remember. What got me though was Stabil having their usual red Stabil and their Ethanol Stabil, which apparently were the same mixtures (as reported when I contacted Stabil), however the ethanol branded one was much more expensive. Liked the product just not how they marketed it. Have slowly switch just about all of my gear oils, stabilizers (for both gas and diesel) over to Amsoil. Ha, and I don’t like the marketing bs...
The same here...

Past RV's: 2013 WGO ERA 70A, Chevy PW Lexor
Itasca Navion, 29' Jayco 5th Wheel
bobojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 04:36 PM   #6
Platinum Member

I had also called Stabil and was told the regular red and the ethanol green were different mixtures. I don't have an old bottle of green around, but IIRC the green mixed at about 1/2 the rate of the red, so even if more expensive about the same in use.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 12:02 AM   #7

I mainly use stabil to keep gas from going bad while in storage. I've always used whichever was cheaper based on how many gallons it treats but there is a difference between the two. The new packaging online shows the pink version keeping fuel fresh for up to 24 months but it does not list any corrosion inhibitors (the pink bottle in my garage says 12 months). The blue-green marine formula contains a 12 month freshener plus corrosion resistance, they claim that it releases a gas which coats areas not submerged in the gas with anti corrosion inhibitors. In either case I usually get whichever is on sale based on how many gallons it treats.
SteveNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 10:24 PM   #8
Platinum Member

I have moved from Stabil to Star-Tron, and have found Star-Tron able to do an extremely good job preserving fuel, especially with a portable generator that is fussy about its fuel (anything other than Techron Supreme, it doesn't like.)

I would consider SeaFoam more of a way to fix carb issues, as opposed to a fuel stabilizer. If I "overmedicate" SeaFoam, I definitely know it, for the worse. If I dump an entire bottle of Star-Tron into a gas tank... doesn't cause any issues, so I wind up using the recommended amount normally, and when I'm about to store stuff, twice that amount.

However, any fuel additive is better than none, especially here in Texas, where you can't find anything less than E-10 anywhere (and trust me, I've tried... other than fuel wholesalers, it is nowhere to be found, barring those insanely priced one liter fuel cans at hardware stores.)
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote