Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2021, 04:46 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Stainless-Steel Continental tire Ring,,HELP

Yep me again,,,
I can tell we are getting close to hitting the road for the summer ,,,,IT'S panic time!
I don't know how we have missed this for 2 years but, we do not have the key for the Stainless-Steel Continental Tire Ring.
Any Iders ??? local locksmith can pick it but unless we plan on taking him along this summer ???? He says he can't cut or make a key or change out the cylinder.
HELP!
Thanks
Michael
mangomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 05:03 PM   #2
Platinum Member

UPDATE
Well, maybe on the right track . Just got off the phone with roadtrek. They think Boomarange Inc. made the ring for them ,,,, sent Boomarang a pic waiting to hear,
any other ideas????
thanks
m
Old 06-01-2021, 05:22 PM   #3
Platinum Member

I have similar on my pleasure way

the lock itself looks like a generic cabinet style lock, similar to the locks for the storage.

picking a lock is easy it requires a right angled tool inserted and tensioned clockwise ( the direction the key turns)

a tool called a "rake" is moved in and out on top of the pins- where the cut out area on the key would be

the idea is that the pins are moved by the rake, the tension you keep will hold the pin in place and once all the pins are knocked into position the lock will release

the rake on the pins is a "random" action and it could take 10 seconds, or 2 minutes

mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 05:42 PM   #4
Platinum Member

If the picking is done to open ,,,, can it be reversed, so that if I learned to pick it open.I could pick it closed to close the whole thing back up ????
Thamls for the reply
m
Old 06-01-2021, 09:54 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Take the latch/lock off by loosening the tension bolts and take it to your locksmith.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 10:19 PM   #6
Platinum Member

We have had ours unlocked for years even though we have the key with us in the van. Locks out in the weather like that and never used are very prone to corroding and crudding up so you can't get them open with key anyway. The lock only slows the bad guys down a little as the can still get the ring off anyway, I think, as Bud stated, or just punch the lock. If they want my cheap spare that bad, they can have it.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 12:11 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangomike View Post
If the picking is done to open ,,,, can it be reversed, so that if I learned to pick it open.I could pick it closed to close the whole thing back up ????
Thamls for the reply
m

unlock it

& replace the lock

or leave the ring at home during your trip

don't be held hostage by a $7 lock

you could take your lock to an old-timey locksmith shop ( if you can find one)
old timey Guys fix stuff rather than replace and have dusty bins full of old parts

I used to have a shop near me where the owner supplied perfect correct and original "Presto" keys for 1956 Harley saddlebags and perfect correct Briggs and Stratton key for my 1953 H-D ignition

sadly he's gone, I'm sure all his treasures were landfilled- but I bought a bunch of old blanks from him for my stash

mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 12:57 PM   #8
Platinum Member

MK .... yep ,,,no hostage taking here.. worst case we'll take it off and go with fabric/vinyl.
Yes,, those old guys like that are disappearing ,,, I guess I can be counted in that group!
Stashes are good ....if you can remember where the stash is ..LOL
Boomerang thinks they made the ring ,, and they are sending a set of keys.
Thanks
Michael
Old 06-06-2021, 06:48 PM   #9
Gold Member

Default Chrome spare tire cover latch key

If you once get it unlocked consider leaving it unlocked. The latch just knuckles over and ours has stayed latched for probably 150,000 miles.
Next option, borrow another Roadtrek owner's key when you are in a camp ground, try it, run out and make a duplicate, do something nice for your brother RT owner
BJ
Bjones7788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 12:39 AM   #10
Gold Member

Push the two ends of the U-clip (arrows in pic) and the lock should fall out. I obtained a new lock (7/16" cam lock) from Mr. Lock locksmith (ESP Multi-Purpose Cam Lock #ULR437STD-FL217 - hudsonlock.com) and was able to make it work on my Continental Spare Tire.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Spare Tire Lock.JPG (38.9 KB, 6 views)
bwatters60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 09:58 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Mine had 602 stamped on the key and would not budge. I sprayed some blast, let it sit for awhile, then put the key in and turned with a pliers and it unlocked. BTW, I removed the spare and the 75 or so pound support. Everything is sitting in my garage. JMO so don't blast me for not having a spare. That's my choice...
ChicagoTom is offline   Reply With Quote