Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2020, 01:14 AM   #21
Platinum Member

And then there’s this:

https://fox13now.com/2019/12/05/a-fa...cross-america/

Build Site: msnomersvan.wordpress.com
Travel Site: woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 01:20 AM   #22
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van_Dreams View Post
Yeah, those evil people. Hopefully society will eventually reintroduce the idea of a class system so that the upper crust doesn’t need to have any unnecessary interactions with the lower classes.
Well, this discussion isn't intended to be about the sociopolitical aspects of van life. It is about "stealth" van build vs. existing class b rv purchase and upgrade. My response was simply to say that worrying about trying to be stealthy is pointless at this time since van life has exploded in popularity...and we haven't even seen the extent of just how much it is going to be. Kinda like e-bikes.

Trust me, I am on the side of the van lifers. I am typing this message from high in the misty snowy mountains in my 4x4 Roadtrek class b, of which my wife an I live in full time. This is my second Roadtrek and have owned and used one continuously for 18 years now.

To recap, stealth is a myth. Van life is a beautiful.
MrMyagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 01:54 AM   #23
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMyagi View Post
Stealth is definitely a myth. You can spot the "stealth vans" easily and law enforcement is very savvy to what people are trying to do. With the explosion of van life, it is out in the open.
Stealth isn't so much as a myth as you might have us believe. It is all in how you outfit your van to make it work and look like a work van none or only one possibly 2 small windows..service antenna and satellite locator mounted on cab. Throw a rack and a ladder or two and a plumbing tube on the outside and make up some magnet signs like dicks plumbing were there 24/7. Or John's electric we'll buzz right over.
Brad1998RD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 02:07 AM   #24
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad1998RD View Post
Stealth isn't so much as a myth as you might have us believe. It is all in how you outfit your van to make it work and look like a work van none or only one possibly 2 small windows..service antenna and satellite locator mounted on cab. Throw a rack and a ladder or two and a plumbing tube on the outside and make up some magnet signs like dicks plumbing were there 24/7. Or John's electric we'll buzz right over.

That sounds like an awful lot of work and hassle to do to go "camping". If it gets to the point where we would have to go that far, I think we would just hang it up. I can tell you that in a lot blue collar neighborhoods if a non recognized trade van sat on the street or in a business parking lot, it would likely get a visit from the residents or the local officials. Those type of "stealth" vehicles are are also very commonly used for robberies by pretending to be trade people at a home or place of business and everyone now knows that.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 02:35 AM   #25
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
That sounds like an awful lot of work and hassle to do to go "camping". If it gets to the point where we would have to go that far, I think we would just hang it up. I can tell you that in a lot blue collar neighborhoods if a non recognized trade van sat on the street or in a business parking lot, it would likely get a visit from the residents or the local officials. Those type of "stealth" vehicles are are also very commonly used for robberies by pretending to be trade people at a home or place of business and everyone now knows that.
Ditto.

Desire for a stealthy van is intended to hide someone’s presence by the van’s look, by silence, by no motion, it is the intent to stay where it is not permitted, it is the intent to pretend to be someone else, it is the intent to bend a rule of law. It is far, very far away from my understanding of camping.

There are many places you can stay legally for free or for charge without the need for a stealthy van.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 03:26 AM   #26
Platinum Member

I’m not sure that’s what the OP is looking for in any case. I think the thread title is a bit misleading. He seems to be comparing a home built camping van vs. a manufactured unit.

The former doesn’t necessarily mean actually doing the conversion yourself. I see used DIY camping conversions for sale from time to time. Since they’re rarely fully complete, self-contained units, it’s important to know going in where and how you plan to use the van, and what features are essential.

You can always add missing features, but the closer your needs to a complete manufactured unit, the more it makes sense to start there.
Old 01-22-2020, 09:27 AM   #27
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
Ditto.

Desire for a stealthy van is intended to hide someone’s presence by the van’s look, by silence, by no motion, it is the intent to stay where it is not permitted, it is the intent to pretend to be someone else, it is the intent to bend a rule of law. It is far, very far away from my understanding of camping.

There are many places you can stay legally for free or for charge without the need for a stealthy van.
Stealth is more about people living in them and moving frequently in the urban environmentnot camping as per say. You don't need stealth to go camping
Brad1998RD is offline   Reply With Quote