Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2017, 09:20 PM   #21
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
I think this conversation is interesting, but is not really about the original question and topic. ...

In a much shorter version, the question was if folk want to make their vans stealth to get away with something that is likely illegal at worst, or a likely inconvenience or irritation to the local population at best.
OK, I get it now - didn't grasp that you were looking for a philosophical/morality discussion.

So here's my two cents.

I think a very small percentage want to "get away with something." Mostly, I think it is about not attracting unwanted attention. When I was in France, it took me two days to figure out that wearing blue jeans was like wearing an American flag. Since I didn't want to stick out, I changed my attire. Doesn't mean I wanted to blend in so I could get around some rules - I just didn't want to attract attention.

Often, rules are black and white on paper, but pretty grey in application. Thus, your HOA may say no RVs, but what it really means is no giant Class A's parked permanently on the street in front of your home blocking line of sight for other drivers. A Class B, stealthy or not, that is only 18 ft long and parked in the drive may break the rules on paper, but comply with the intention of the HOA committee, which was to keep the sidewalks clear and maintain traffic safety. Thus, you're not really "getting away" with anything, but being nondescript avoids arguments with the Class A owner who is miffed that the rules don't seem to apply to everyone.

Likewise, I live in the County. Over the past year, our neighborhood has had two issues with motorhomes parked on the street. In one case, the owners/squatters? appeared to be doing and dealing drugs and someone called the sheriff to have them removed. In another case, a father has weekend visitation rights with his daughter but he lives out of town. He can't stay with his ex-wife and hotels are expensive so he parks in front of the house and his daughter camps with him on the weekend and two weeks in summer. Nobody cares. Yes, he is breaking the law, but the neighborhood doesn't see it as a problem.

I generally don't "plan" on parking lot or street camping and only do it if I can't find a better alternative. Because I'm not planning on it, I won't research the area's parking regulations (although I would certainly ask a store if I could use their parking lot overnight). I hope having a nice van that is well-cared for will ease the discomfort of local residents - it's pretty clear I'm not going to break into their house and I'm not living out of my van because I can't afford live anywhere else. With this in mind, I wonder if being LESS stealthy wouldn't be better because it's clear I'm NOT trying to get away with anything.

Is this the kind of input you were looking for?
Old 09-27-2017, 09:39 PM   #22
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoebe3 View Post
With this in mind, I wonder if being LESS stealthy wouldn't be better because it's clear I'm NOT trying to get away with anything.

Is this the kind of input you were looking for?
Yes it is the type I was hoping to see. I don't know about if most of the people who want stealth are planning on avoiding rules and ordinances or not, but that is the input that really never shows up in these threads. All we hear is that folks want to be stealthy so they can camp in "whatever description" places without attracting attention (or police?) in many cases.

I have also thought about the theory that if you are not trying to get away with anything, and want to convey that to people so they understand it, not going full stealthy might be more appropriate. It is a very interesting idea, I think. I don't think that having a plain van means you are trying to get away with something for all people, but I think it could certainly make one wonder, and not know.

Our patterns are very similar to what you describe.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 12:57 AM   #23
Silver Member

Speaking of stealth, I read a comment on this forum from a Travato owner who had de badged his vehicle. I thought it was an excellent idea. I searched for the comment but I can't seem to find it. Can anyone direct me to it? Thanks.
fruch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 02:39 AM   #24
Platinum Member

Default Stealth-when good or bad

My Airstream Interstate is certainly not stealth, but it is a subtle looking RV. I like the look because it doesn't attract attention from most people. I park it in the alley behind my townhouse in a development that does not allow RVs, but the rules have an exception for passenger vans and SUVs. My vans has belted seating for eight so I think I'm compliant, but since I keep it parked out of sight I'm not attracting unwanted attention. I've used it on several occasions to take couples in my neighborhood to dinner, on winery tours and other social functions. That helped people realize it is not your typical RV. Airstream labels it a touring coach.

Several years ago I was visiting friends in Cocoa Beach, FL that has restrictions on parking RVs in the streets. Their condo association did not allow RVs, vans or pickup trucks to park in their condo lot. There was an empty motel parking lot across the street. I asked them if I could park my van in their lot for a few days. They said no. I then talked to the condo association president and asked if I could leave the van in their lot for a few days while visiting our friends, condo residents, for two days. He said yes. We stayed for the Super Bowl game that year and then moved on.

Right after I bought this van I had parked on Pennsylvania Avenue in Washington DC. A nice elderly lady parked behind me in a Cadillac sedan. As I was leaving the van she asked me when Airstream bought Mercedes? I had to laugh and explained the van was a Mercedes cargo van converted by Airstream. Obviously many people have different impressions when they see a low profile B-van.

- - Mike
2012 Sprinter 3500 Extended converted B-Van by Airstream
Old 09-28-2017, 06:21 PM   #25
Silver Member

Found it! Check how stealthy this Travato looks de-baged!

http://www.classbforum.com/forums/f8...vato-6363.html
fruch is offline   Reply With Quote