Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-07-2021, 04:21 PM   #21
Platinum Member

Steering wander and wind sway are usually two different issues, although they can interact. All high top vehicles are subjected to getting pushed around by the wind.

My MB based class C was terrible in cross winds, until I added a heavier sway bar and Timbren polyurethane spring blocks.

Steering wander and poor directional tracking is from sloppy ball joints, worn out steering boxes, bad tires (and sometimes the driver), but these problems can usually be fixed.

I added steering stabilizers to two Dodge based class Bs to fix one, and prevent the other from getting sloppy.

The new 2020 and up Mercedes Sprinter chassis has a new system to compensate for crosswind.

Dual rear tires help a lot on class Cs, as does a stiffer suspension on any rig. But then it rides like a truck.

But then again, aren't small highly mobile RVs supposed to wander?����
Nic7320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 04:22 PM   #22
Gold Member

Driving a box on a windy day you will feel the wind, but after 20 years in the Army I have been exposed to many drivers and they are all not created equal. Some drivers saw back and forth on the wheel of a vehicle I just drove with minimal steering input my point being everyone reacts differently to the feedback of the vehicle. I believe some drivers learned to drive or do drive vehicles with a lot of play in the steering and drive all vehicles like they need constant steering input. Yes some vehicles do require constant steering input to drive straight on the hwy and some do not, but some drivers that do not drive their Class B RV's on a regular basis may have an adjustment period to get to "know" their rig again, and some never do get comfortable driving a vehicle that will require more steering input than a small car.
I rate shocks as number 1 improvement in both stability and handling of my 190, number 2 rear sway bars, and number 3 adding front black sumo springs together my rig handles so well I rarely drive with 2 hands on the wheel anymore.
Moto Metal M970 16x8
Buc22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 05:21 PM   #23
Platinum Member

I would agree about the driver differences. I usually compared it to sports car drivers vs big rear drive car drivers.

Some people would find our van "twitchy" along the same lines as a BMW would be to them, with small steering wheel movements needed to keep a straight line. Others, like me, would find it to be nice to drive. I am a lazy driver rarely with two hands gripping the wheel tightly, am more likely to have one or two hands near the bottom of the wheel so low effort small movements work great. In traffic it would more likely be two hands lightly down low. Our van is an easy drive even in windy conditions. The only time it gets harder is if you have a very high crosswind that gets randomly eliminated by things like big pine trees close to the road. Those winds can hit very quickly and hard, or be gone in an instant.

When I ride with someone who is moving the wheel two inches back and forth, is like "how do you stand to drive this thing?".
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 05:27 PM   #24
Bronze Member

We have the tow package, I took your advice and checked them. The temperature was 110 F. Thanks...
Hammernine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 05:30 PM   #25
Bronze Member

Not sure how the Dodge will react, but after Bilstein shocks and front end alignment... I installed 2" wheel spacers in the rear. Made a big difference for my Road trek 200 Popular.
Hammernine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 06:45 PM   #26
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97green View Post
is there any class b that does not wonder around? no left right left right bare knuckles driving? are the new dodge/Mercedes any better? we were behind one here on a windy day and it was all over the place
I have a 2012 Chevy. Roadtrek 210 popular that does not drift drives like a car very easy.
robert g is offline   Reply With Quote