Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2015, 12:52 AM   #1

Default Still looking, decided not to by the 99 PW

Well we spent the whole afternoon looking and testing this 99 pw that we had our hearts set on. (pictures in my album)

Anyway it turned out to be a lemon. long list f things wrong, but notably are the bad rust all down both sides of the rear addition strips for the wide body. also needs all new tires. AC not working Roof fan not working ...

we will keep looking.. (PW with two rear beds)
BillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 01:29 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Well, extensive projects required in a 17 year old coach is not unexpected. You're going to have to kiss alot of frogs before you find your prince. Rust is the one almost impossible to overcome - I'd stick to the non-snow states in your search.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 02:09 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Did you try and figure out why the A/C or fan wasn't working? We have almost the same rig (Coach House) and as wincrasher states, they all need a little maintenance from time to time. Tires need to be replaced on all vehicles at some point so I don't know if you could count that as a minus. Was the rust superficial or extensive?

Depending on the mileage and maintenance records and of course price it might be a nice entry into the class B lifestyle.
AK49er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 10:18 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK49er View Post

Depending on the mileage and maintenance records and of course price it might be a nice entry into the class B lifestyle.
AK49er is right. There is always going to be something wrong (or not quite right) with a used RV. The questions then becomes what ($) will it take to fix and is that reflected in the asking price.

Now that assumes one has enough experience in estimating (1) is it fixable and (2) how much will it cost? It is all a bit like buying a house - you need to see as many as you can to get a sense of the "comps".

Wincrasher makes a good point about avoiding rust states, but then again, you might find a one owner RV, kept in a garage most of the winter. So you have to use some judgement. My '99 EVC was a Florida car - no rust, but the sun really beat up some of the trim and panel (mostly discoloration). But, I think, that was reflected in the price.

Everything is negotiable.
Old 08-14-2015, 04:35 PM   #5
Platinum Member

the PW wide bodies I have seen seem to be liable to rust at the upper rear where the panels join.
this would include 2 x 1999 models, one a dodge, the other a ford. the Ford is my neighbors and an Arizona model.

so something to look at along with a the list of other stuff.
any older vehicle will have issues- and the "chassis" part should be checked over well.

the "coach" part and systems should be checked by someone familiar with RV's

ad also any "owner mods" should be checked--- some are well-intentioned but poorly performed

for you in SK, PW is very responsive and will send out a manual or brochure for older models.
keep looking you'll find what will work for you.

mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote