Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2018, 03:29 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Stolen?

Has anyone had their shore power cord stolen while at a camp site?
Deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 11:32 AM   #2
Platinum Member

I haven't heard much on cords, but have heard of numerous power conditioners getting taken.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 01:14 PM   #3
Platinum Member

I never have, but we just had someone on Facebook who reported that they had left a sign and their power cord at their space while running an errand. Someone grabbed both, but they were seen and dropped both in the woods nearby. The thieves license number was also reported to the rangers.

But leaving something like that on an unoccupied spot is pretty much an invitation.

Generators and surge protectors seem to be the most common targets.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 05:03 PM   #4
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano View Post
Has anyone had their shore power cord stolen while at a camp site?
I have had my Technology Research Surge Guard Adapter stolen. It was a $300 item at the time. I now lock the shore power cover lid with a combo lock. They all have a little tab you can slide a lock through. Dave W
DWorrell3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 03:25 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Camping at a State Park along Oregon's coast this spring in our class B. Left a chair and our water hose and filter at the site so others would not take the site (sites are first come with self registration). Returned several hours later and everything except our hose nozzle and "Y" at the faucet was gone (I always screw a plastic (cheap) nozzle on the water line when I D/C it from the van to keep dirt and bugs out). There is no doubt in my mind that if I left the cord, which we usually do at KOAs and GS places, it would have vanished as well. First time in 50 years of camping; times are changing.

Host stated that there are quite a few transients living out of their cars that frequent the State Parks; but, it could have been anyone. She suggested flagging tape across the entrance of the site to mark it. I now carry a small roll.

Had a second hose, so no problems (carry 2- 25 foot), the filter needed replaced anyway, and if someone needed a hose and chair that badly, well God bless them. If they would have asked, I would have given them money or the items they took anyway.

Will definitely not leave my cord again...anywhere; and maybe the hose at certain places.
Hatteras Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 04:08 PM   #6
Platinum Member

I recently witnessed someone in the next campsite over securing a surge suppressor with a cable lock. Made me wonder how often such devices get stolen. I don't use one, but if I did, I think I'd rather have it be part of the RV instead of something plugged into the pedestal. Thievery aside, it's just one more thing to forget and lose.

I like the idea of crime scene tape to mark my campsite when we leave for the day, although mostly we camp in assigned sites at KOAs.

Packing everything up prior to going out exploring is a pain. I've thought about using a long cable run through left behind chairs, etc. to discourage theft. Haven't done it yet, and haven't had anything stolen so far.
rvsprinterguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 05:45 PM   #7
Platinum Member

To deter skulkers looking for "ground scores", I padlock everything. Even if it is secured by an el cheapo steel cable intended as a cat leash, with a 50 cent warded lock, it keeps honest people honest.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 06:28 PM   #8
Platinum Member

I picked up a 30' Master brand security cable at my local going out of business Orchard Supply (Hey Lowes! I live 15 miles from the nearest Lowes (one is across a $5 toll bridge), and two miles from the soon-to-be-closed OSH. There are two closer Home Depots. Sorry, but every dollar I spend for this category of products will be lost to you! What are you thinking?) that I'll be using with a good padlock to loop in my chairs, table, fire pit, etc.
rvsprinterguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 09:38 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Sad statement, eh? My surge is a Progressive Industries internal. I do chain my solar suitcase to the trailer hitch at night. Always take it with me during the day. Thieves took relatives bikes off the rear bike rack in their A when they were sleeping at night. Never heard them! Will follow advice and buy that roll of tape.
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 09:21 AM   #10
Gold Member

No, it's never happened.
Monica998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 11:57 AM   #11
Platinum Member

Sorry to hear about the bikes. That's really brazen. Maybe the days of leaving all of your Coleman equipment spread over your picnic table are gone? I also noticed that picnic tables have also disappeared in a few campgrounds so they can squeeze a few more vehicles in as well. I just keep reminding myself that it's only a handful of folks that are despicable.
Hatteras Jim is offline   Reply With Quote