Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2007, 01:20 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Storage

I just got my RV out of storage. It's been there since August 2005. Gas prices kept us from using it last year.

I'm curious how everyone stores their RV. Do you store it outdoors, in your driveway, at a storage lot, in a garage, etc? I've had mine in a storage lot. $12 a month storage isn't too bad. My property isn't large enough to store it here.

I'm also curious what kind of preparation people do to store their RV. I blast all the water lines out with compressed air and put antifreeze in the holding tanks. Winters get cold here. We got down to -40 a few times this past winter with wind chills below -50. A little oil in each engine cylinder helps for long storage. It helps prevent the cylinder rings from sticking to the walls. I also try to drain all the gas from the tank. It isn't very good after a winter in storage. I realize some people use their RV's all year round. I wish I had the time to do that.

The only problem I've had with storage is mice. I've had my RV for 10 years now but had mice get in it about 3 times. They love the furnace and furnace pipes. They also like the power supply under the one bunk. We also left toilet paper in the washroom and paper towel in the RV once too. Not good because mice love that kind of stuff for making nests. At least we had no mice this year.
renrut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 03:54 AM   #2
Platinum Member

One of the reasons I got a Class B was because it was the biggest I could keep in my driveway at my last place.

We moved into this house last year and put in a gravel area next to my carport for my van. It stays there all winter with a cover on and under one of those Costco 20' car shelters that I raised up a bit. I have photos here:

http://classbforum.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=54

$12 per month sounds very reasonable to me. We probably got down to about -6 C.

I use RV antifreeze in my tanks, pipes & traps. I keep the house batteries and the chassis battery on BatteryMINDers.

I haven't had any mice show up but it is a very common problem. Here's an article by Mark Polk:

http://classbforum.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=182
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 11:34 PM   #3

I am looking for space to store my van also. I found this company, called Formose covers, on the internet, and I was wondering if anyone has used their covers and has an opinion about their quality? The price sure seems good.

http://shopnow.secureonlinecart.com/est ... affiliate=
Old 07-18-2007, 01:15 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Wow! The price is great!

I got these photos from Amazon:

I suggest going to a discount store that sells car covers like Wal-mart and seeing if they offer the brands: Formosa or Sun-Mart - if so, you'll be able to see one.

It might be worth pricing Adco covers as well. I ordered one for my B+. I should get it tomorrow and will post what I think of the quality compared to the Roadtrek cover I had.
Old 08-09-2007, 03:07 PM   #5
Platinum Member

The quality of the Adco "Tyvek" cover looks very good.

It's way too big for my B+ even though I followed the fitting guide.

It must have been vacuum packed because I'll never be able to squeeze it into the box it came in.