Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-28-2020, 01:21 PM   #1

Default Storage a RV class B in a campground

We are planning to make a trip from Quebec Canada to Arizona next autumn.

Our goal is to finish the first part of our trip close to Phoenix Arizona, and let the RV there and come back home by plane for the winter.

We would like to let the RV in storage in the same campground we are going to stay in the last few days of this trip.

Storage for 4 or 5 months, until the time we will go back to Phoenix to continue our trip.

We would appreciate to get the name of campgrounds offering this opportunity.

Thank you
Alain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 02:19 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Hello Alain,

If you cannot find a campground- there are a large number of RV storage facilities in the area, some of which offer electricity for trickle chargers. some are outside, under a carport type roof, or stored inside.

When storing outside in AZ it is good to cover tires from the sun, also the windows ( reflectix, cut to size)- bags of mothballs under the hood can help to repel rodents, squirrels, pack rats etc from nesting/chewing wiring.

The area East of Phoenix; Mesa & Apache Junction have very large RV communities which in a normal year have a large CDN and Snowbird population

There are also many communities which do not allow RV parking, so homeowners make use of storage facilities for RV's, boats etc

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 03:05 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Campgrounds and RV parks are full in the winter and site rents at peak rates, so you really want a storage lot. You might find one that has separate on-site storage, but since most of them store RVs in the same sites (at reduced rates) over summer, I think it’s more likely you’ll have to go off-site for winter storage
Old 12-29-2020, 01:48 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Have you considered renting it out? Winter is when folks usually want to be in Arizona.

Build Site: msnomersvan.wordpress.com
Travel Site: woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 01:53 PM   #5

Thank your for those answers. We thought that the project to let the RV in storage in a campground was a good idea, but, we can also let it in storage anywhere, close to Phoenix. From where we could go to and go back from the airport easily. If you have any idea or name please let us know. Our RV is a Roadtrek popular 1999, maybe it could be a good idea to rent it during winter, but, we have to be sure that somebody would have a look on it during this period.
Old 12-30-2020, 12:23 PM   #6
Platinum Member

How long will you be storing it? I assume you plan to return to continue your travels in the SW, perhaps after the holidays?

If you’re only looking at a month or so, you might look into off-site airport parking. That would give maximum convenience, since they run shuttles to the airport.

Most of the campgrounds and RV parks are on the outer fringes of the metro area, so 20-30 miles from the airport or more.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 04:01 PM   #7
Platinum Member

From Mesa out to Apache Junction is one RV park after another... interspersed with dealerships and storage places. In a normal winter, the population of this area is about half Canadian, mostly from the western Provinces.

As to the rental idea, doing this long distance would be difficult IMHO. Who would handle problems? People who rent out their rigs parked in RV parks here are invariably large 5th wheels. I wouldn't consider it myself... especially with an older rig like yours.

One issue is that many, if not most, of the Mesa facilities have age and size restrictions for rigs (and humans), and yours wouldn't qualify. My park requires 22 ft and max of 10 years old for the rig and humans over 55. Apache Junction may be a better option.

I'm not sure of your plans, but you are doing it backwards... LOL... I winter in an RV park in Mesa. I get down here in October and run for cooler temps in May when it gets to 35C and then only go up to the 40s... until the next October.

I think your best option is to come down next autumn, head to... say Apache Junction which is more welcoming to smaller and older rigs... and hunt for a good storage facility for your months back in CA. It would be a fraction of the price.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 06:39 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Alain,

Post again closer to your trip- the paved area beside my house is cluttered with old Cadillacs

It's possible I may be putting one up for sale this year ( 72 Eldo conv) if so, I may have space to rent.
Mike
Old 12-30-2020, 06:49 PM   #9

Thank you for those information. Even if our RV does not qualify for many RV Parks, my wife and I qualifies, but we are still working. That is why we have to come back home in Québec for the winter time. If i well understand, Apache Junction is not a RV Park, but an area where there are many RV Park and campground without restriction. Am i understanding well? If yes, i will verify in this area and try to find what i am looking for. Thanks again
Old 12-30-2020, 09:11 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Yes, Apache Junction is a town on the far eastern end of the Phoenix area
Mike
Old 12-31-2020, 12:26 AM   #11
Platinum Member

I store ours at a Ameripark storage facility in Tempe, which is closer to the airport than Apache Junction. House on site where people are 24/7. Gated via keycard. Mostly uncovered but some covered. Google 9425 S. Hardy Drive, Tempe, AZ
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 05:00 AM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alain View Post
... If i well understand, Apache Junction is not a RV Park, but an area where there are many RV Park and campground without restriction. Am i understanding well? If yes, i will verify in this area and try to find what i am looking for. Thanks again
Yes, according to the Campendium App, there are over 83 campgrounds in Apache Junction, AZ... of varying costs, amenities, and rules.

https://www.campendium.com/arizona/apache-junction
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 10:52 AM   #13

Hi. I will verify with Ameripark storage facility in Tempe, for prices and availability etc. I will also have a look on 83 RV parks in Apache Junction. If somebody have the information on which RV Park offers Storage, it would be appreciate. Thank you
Old 01-02-2021, 03:55 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Alain, Here's another suggestion for storage in the east Mesa area. This is the small dealership we bought our LTV Free Spirit from. Always RV has a dependable service shop and offers storage. They may also be able to assist with transportation from the airport. https://www.alwaysrv.com/
Old 01-03-2021, 12:31 PM   #15

I am waiting for an answer from https://www.alwaysrv.com/, Thank you
Old 01-03-2021, 04:22 PM   #16

I suggest that you check with US Customs before planning to leave a Canadian registered vehicle down there. It is my understanding that as Canadians, we are not allowed to do that for periods exceeding our personal allowed time.
Ross Waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 07:28 PM   #17

Default Alain/ Quebec

Hi I am also from Quebec city and I have a Dodge road trek 20000 I live in California Huntington Beach I bought the vehicle two years ago I live in it full-time life is wonderful down here I just wanted to say hi to you Alain enjoy your Adventure be safe Ms.Tyrell
hbroadtrek2000 is offline   Reply With Quote