Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-07-2012, 10:51 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Storage of RoadTrek in Vegas

I am thinking of keeping our 2006 RoadTrek RS Adventerous in Las Vegas. We would use this as our base of operation to explore the parks in southern Utah, Arizona and California.

Should I be concerned about the heat in the summer causing damage? Some places offer covered storage, is it necessary? All opinions, recommendations, experiences are appreciated.
Old 01-07-2012, 10:55 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: Storage of RoadTrek in Vegas

Maybe to clarify a little more, we live in Kansas City and plead ignorance to things "desert" related. We like to run around for about 2 weeks at a time, when we fire the B up. Living in KC, we find ourselves traveling for 2-3 days, before we venture into the really cool stuff. We think we could fly into Vegas and then be fairly close to a plethora of cool parks.That is our motivation for storing the B in Vegas.
Old 01-07-2012, 11:45 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

How far is it to drive from KC to Las Vegas? I'd be more concerned about break ins and theft.
I would assume the storage facility has security, takes responsibility for your vehicle, and offers shaded
parking or inside storage? I have experience with the heat (it's hot) there, but wouldn't think about storing
our van there.
We did consider buying an older small C or maybe a trailer, and keeping it there. Neither would be moved
much, but we decided the headaches which go with leaving personal property thousands of miles away
weren't worth it.
just my 2 cents.
Old 01-08-2012, 03:07 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Kansas City is almost in the geographical center of the United States so in theory you could drive, on the average, almost anywhere in the United States equally. In reality you generally still have a long drive to get anywhere. Still it is better than Minneapolis where I live unless you want to include Canadian travel. Then that puts Minneapolis closer to the center of North America. Some people would prefer to be in a location that is less than a day's drive to the amenities if that means giving up the east for the Rocky Mountains or vice versa.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 10:35 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Mike/Davydd, thanks for your feedback.

Yes KC is smack dab in the middle of the country. Over the last 15 months we have taken 4 trips to the southeast and three to the southwest. We live on a Lake and love the water. That having been said, we really like the parks in the west....Like Arches, Canyonlands, Zion, etc. In my humble opinion that the B really shines is in the western national Parks. We think that if we have more time to explore and less time just getting there, that in the next five years we can really investigate the nooks and crannies in the western parks we have already been to, and have a better opportunity to see the ones we have not. So Davydd, your point is well taken, we will be giving up the east for the west. We have lived in the Southeast portion of the US on several occasions and have seen a lot (but of course not all) of the cool stuff. So, other than having some regrets on not visiting the maritimes, we are willing to make that trade off.

In addition with the property prices being as low as they are in Vegas, we are considering a second home in there. If that is the case we would spend the winter months there. It appears that most of the communities that have HOA's will not allow the van to be parked in the subdivision...hence even if we do purchase a home in Vegas, we will need storage.

In KC I store the van in a limestone cave. I believe that is a somewhat unique offering in this part of the country. The caves are mined out limestone and are huge. The one that we store the van in is over 1,000 acres. The temp is a constant 55 degrees. I am not too concerned about property damage at a storage facility. Most are gated and secured. In addition the van is well insured.

I was wondering more about the effect of the high summer temps on the vehicles interior components. I have never lived in a hot desert climate and have no experience with that. Also, if someone has specific recommendations of specific facilities to use or avoid that would be appreciated.