Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2021, 01:29 AM   #1
Silver Member

Default stupid van tricks

Can someone please help a newby with some stupid, basic questions? I just bought a 2006 Roadtrek 190 and there are some things I just can't figure out. The manuals are no help at all.

1. How do you turn on the water heater to take a shower? The manual for the heater shows some sort of on-off switch, but I can't find it anywhere. It also talks about turning on the gas, which I'm not sure what they're talking about, unless it's the general on/off switch for the propane tank at the back of the van.

2. How does the pump that pumps water into the sink and the toilet operate? Is it automatic or do I need to turn something on? Again, don't see any switches anywhere. We haven't filled the tanks yet so I'm not sure if it's automatic or what.

3. I did find the hot water heater itself and saw the valves for warm and cold water are currently in the closed position. Should I leave them that way until we're ready to take a shower?

Thank you!
alwechs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 01:45 AM   #2
Silver Member

Update: i did find the hot water switch but the light nexr to the switch didnt turn on...does that mean its not working? Is there more to it than jist that switch?
Old 06-04-2021, 01:49 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwechs View Post
Update: i did find the hot water switch but the light nexr to the switch didnt turn on...does that mean its not working? Is there more to it than jist that switch?

The light will only come on with a fault, not when on. DON'T TURN IT ON UNTIL YOU ARE SURE THERE IS WATER IN THE TANK, WITH THE TWO VALVES AT THE TANK OPEN AND THE BYPASS ON BETWEEN THEM CLOSED. Take off the outside cover and see if the anode rod is in it near the bottom, and best to remove it a flush the tank out before use. Again don't try to use it until there is certain water in it.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 02:54 AM   #4
Silver Member

Thanks! But how can I be suire there is water in the tank?
Old 06-04-2021, 03:32 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Turn on hot water faucet, if water flows you got water heater tank filled.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 04:03 AM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
Turn on hot water faucet, if water flows you got water heater tank filled.
Sorry, George is usually right, but no, no, no this time. You can have no water in the water heater because the bypass system is in bypass mode, and that will feed water to the hot water faucets; that's why it is called "bypass".

Best to check:
1) positions of the bypass system valves
2) after turning off the pump, release the pressure in the water heater by using the pressure relief valve on the water heater (inside the outside grille), then pull the anode rod out

Lots of places on this Forum and the internet to find out what I'm talking about if you are not certain.

Good luck, Dick
dicktill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 04:14 AM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicktill View Post
Sorry, George is usually right, but no, no, no this time. You can have no water in the water heater because the bypass system is in bypass mode, and that will feed water to the hot water faucets; that's why it is called "bypass".

Best to check:
1) positions of the bypass system valves
2) after turning off the pump, release the pressure in the water heater by using the pressure relief valve on the water heater (inside the outside grille), then pull the anode rod out

Lots of places on this Forum and the internet to find out what I'm talking about if you are not certain.

Good luck, Dick
Thank you for correction, I forgot about the bypass valve. In my current van I don't have any bypass, just drain points. Cheers.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote