Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2020, 09:59 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Suburban water heater maintenance tip

Hi folks
For those of you who are winterizing their rig, now is the time to remove and inspect the anode (sacrificial rod) of your tank. This is what mine looks like after one season of operation since I’ve replaced my old SW6D heater by a new one last year. The corrosion is obvious and I’m glad that the material came out of the rod instead of the tank itself. Electrogalvanic corrosion occurs for various reasons, but mainly from high variations of mineral contents in the water we are using even though it is drinkable, but I do not want to start a thread on the matter, just to remind you guys to inspect and replace the rod once a year if it needs to, it will give your heater tank a longer life. By the way, this is a 20.00$C part, Camco #11563 for the Suburban SW6D.
Have a nice day
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2131.jpg (253.7 KB, 32 views)
Soyouz9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 10:27 PM   #2
Platinum Member

And do get the magnesium rod vs the aluminum. I get about three years out of a rod before it is down to about 1/3rd and time to replace.
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 11:12 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
And do get the magnesium rod vs the aluminum. I get about three years out of a rod before it is down to about 1/3rd and time to replace.
With the hard water at my home and where we've filled our tank during trips, I only get a year from a magnesium annode. And by then it's time to flush all the minerals out (which is almost a cup full).

Because of this, I tried an aluminum rod but it was nearly pristine after 3-4 months, so I was afraid it wasn't working. I went back to magnesium and it looked almost like the pic after 3 months.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 12:45 AM   #4
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
I do agree with your point about the magnesium rod.
Most Suburban water heaters comes with the magnesium anode as standard part #232767, but they do sell the aluminium option part #232768, and they suggest it should be used in hard water situation.
Camco #11563 is aluminium
Aluminium being very conductive, the degradation process occurs at a lower voltage, and the loss of material is then reduced.
As I said, and I’m sorry if I mislead anyone with my mention of the Camco part, the main issue here is to schedule a regular inspection of the part.
Soyouz9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 03:29 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soyouz9 View Post
As I said, and I’m sorry if I mislead anyone with my mention of the Camco part, the main issue here is to schedule a regular inspection of the part.
Not a problem and no need for apology. You raised a good issue regarding one of the most over-looked maintenance items in the rv world.
Old 10-09-2020, 04:36 AM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
Not a problem and no need for apology. You raised a good issue regarding one of the most over-looked maintenance items in the rv world.
I agree! I ordered a new anode just now. Thx for the reminder.
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 04:33 PM   #7
Platinum Member

I buy magnesium anodes two at a time on Amazon, and replace the one in the water heater every year. I don't think our water is especially hard, but it really does a number on the anodes.

Don't try this: forget to release the water pressure before removing the anode. Witness said anode shooting out like small rocket amid exciting spray of water.
rvsprinterguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 07:49 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvsprinterguy View Post
Don't try this: forget to release the water pressure before removing the anode. Witness said anode shooting out like small rocket amid exciting spray of water.
I've never forgotten, but certainly a good safety tip.

Does anyone know what becomes of all the white mineral deposits that are in the tank between flush outs? Why don't these deposits get picked up and clog water lines?
Old 10-09-2020, 08:00 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
I've never forgotten, but certainly a good safety tip.

Does anyone know what becomes of all the white mineral deposits that are in the tank between flush outs? Why don't these deposits get picked up and clog water lines?

The water enters the bottom and goes out the top, and the deposits are heavier than the water so they lay on the bottom of the tank until you pull the anode rod.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 02:42 AM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
The water enters the bottom and goes out the top, and the deposits are heavier than the water so they lay on the bottom of the tank until you pull the anode rod.
I've had two clogged cold water washer-screens that stopped water flow to my toilet and bath faucet but no clogged hot water washer-screens. So it must work.