Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2015, 02:52 PM   #1

Default Suggestions, thoughts and opinions...

I have been debating the Vanlife for a couple of years now and would like to ask some experienced vanlifers and RV'ers a few opinions and suggestions:

1. Which micro or 18-20 footer would you suggest and why(i am in Canada if that makes a difference)?

a. Which would you suggest for one and a dog or two and a dog?
b. Which would you suggest that has a desk/work area as I would be
working remotely?
c. Which unlimited data plan wifi access provider for the majority of
U.S?
d. Few things that would be preferred, shower/washroom and solar for
to be able to keep internet and PC up for remote office
environment?
spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 03:45 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spike View Post
I have been debating the Vanlife for a couple of years now and would like to ask some experienced vanlifers and RV'ers a few opinions and suggestions:

1. Which micro or 18-20 footer would you suggest and why(i am in Canada if that makes a difference)?

a. Which would you suggest for one and a dog or two and a dog?
b. Which would you suggest that has a desk/work area as I would be
working remotely?
c. Which unlimited data plan wifi access provider for the majority of
U.S?
d. Few things that would be preferred, shower/washroom and solar for
to be able to keep internet and PC up for remote office
environment?
unless your grandfathered on a data plan there is no unlimited cellwifi data provider
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 04:51 PM   #3
Platinum Member

There have been some deals on cellular wifi. I got the AT&T 40 GB per month (with roll-over data) for $200 (includes my iPhone plan and the 2nd device). It uses the mifi device. Knowing what I know now, I would have not bought this device and just paired it with my iPhone. It works just as well and if you get a call, it doesn't break your data stream. I find 40GB a month plenty and many months roll over 10 GB or so.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 05:21 PM   #4

I guess I would not require unlimited data but 40+ gig per month would probably work well.
Old 07-07-2015, 05:48 PM   #5
Platinum Member

I think you are asking a lot.

2 people and a dog, in an 18-20 footer, with a desk and shower?
obgraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 05:55 PM   #6
Platinum Member

A Travato 59G fits the bill perfectly. You can read blog from a couple who full timed and traveled all over the US last year: https://travato2014.wordpress.com/
Old 07-07-2015, 06:24 PM   #7
Platinum Member

You also did not mention budget! That will help you narrow your choices, i.e. new or used, base vehicle, engine, etc.
BobB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 08:00 PM   #8

I am leaning towards a Travato 59G or the Roadtrek SS Agile!
Old 07-09-2015, 09:17 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
So budget seems not to be an issue (yet - for new there is a $27k USD base MSRP difference). They seem quite different to me:

59G - Long Promaster body, gas engine w/ diesel option, fairly unique floor plan layout (separate bed and dining area) very large bathroom, large LP/12V/110v Fridge, about $90K USD starting MSRP, probably can pretty good discounted price according to others on this forum.

SS Agile - Short Sprinter, diesel engine, no gas option, straightforward plan, lots of windows, smaller bathroom than 59G, small 12V/110V fridge, about $117k USD starting MSRP, reportedly not as heavily discounted as Winnebagos.

If you are 2 people, dog, desk and shower (assume larger is better) sounds like you should take a good look at 59G just for size. Others here have them and also good video reviews for both online. Best would be to find a dealer who has both, just to be able to see/experience both side by side.
Old 07-09-2015, 09:58 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
You definitely should read through the thread "Winnebago Travato thread here.." in the General Discussions section. Lots of good, interesting info there from recent owners.
Old 07-09-2015, 11:26 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
Cargo Volume:
Agile (Sprinter 144" high roof): 373.8 (cu ft)
Travato (Promaster 159" ext): 530 (cu ft)

Overall Length:
Agile (Sprinter 144" high roof): 233.3"
Travato (Promaster 159" ext): 250"

You asked for a "Micro or 18-20 footer". The Travato is 8" over your request but it is an enormous amount of space compared to others in that size range. Night and day, IMHO.

The Travato (Promaster 159" ext) has the same cargo volume as the Sprinter 170" ext.
Jostalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 01:20 PM   #12

I am gonna see the Travato 59G and the new 2016 Agile SS in two or three weeks!
Old 07-12-2015, 01:44 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Do your own homework. It's all about floor plans; what is going to work for you.

I went to 2 Winnebago dealers and 1 Roadtrek dealer (to see a Zion), and none of them were very knowledgeable about their products. I went to an RV show once and when asked I replied I wanted to see a Travato and the guy looked at me like I had three heads. I'm afraid they're not going to be very helpful when describing features. That's going to be your job. But only you can decide if the bed is comfortable or if the space seems cramped.

Good luck and have fun,
Eric

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
eric1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 01:40 PM   #14

I would like to ask a couple more questions with in my post as well. The more videos I watch I am not sure which is better for generator(LP,GAS,DIESEL), 3 way fridge or not, roof top AC or newer bottom ones?
Old 07-13-2015, 07:26 PM   #15
Platinum Member

Quote:
I would like to ask a couple more questions with in my post as well. The more videos I watch I am not sure which is better for generator(LP,GAS,DIESEL), 3 way fridge or not, roof top AC or newer bottom ones?
If you get a gas engine, you will get a gas generator. You'll use about .5 gal/hr. out of your vehicle gas tank. If you get a diesel MH, you'll more than likely get a propane generator. It'll use more gals/hr. and the tank is smaller. You might be able to option a diesel generator but they're big bucks. Thousands of diesel sprinters on the road with propane generators and not a lot of complaints about it that I'm aware of. The propane generator has the advantage of not failing because you left gas in the carb for too long.

3-way or 2-way propane fridges are OK, but not great. They'll run forever on a gallon of propane, but they're finicky about being level and ambient temps and some are just plain installed incorrectly and will never vent properly and thus won't cool well. I've only used them and I understand their limitations and they work well for me. Having one over the other is not a deal killer for me, but it is for some folks and understandably so. 12v compressor fridges are not as temperamental and cool more reliably, but they'll use up your battery if you don't manage electricity properly. It's not difficult, but you need to pay attention.

I've never seen a "bottom" A/C so I can't comment on them.

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
eric1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 07:52 PM   #16
Platinum Member

That is one thing that turned me off on the idea of the deisel Travato - the lp generator, cooktop, 3 way refer and furnace would all have to share that little 6 gallon lp tank.

It's pretty poor in my view that they didn't install a larger lp tank to accommodate the generator.

No word reported on LP consumption with the folks with the Truma system. It's supposed to be highly efficient.
Old 07-13-2015, 08:13 PM   #17
Platinum Member

My previous diesel pusher had the "basement airconditioning". Supposed to run like a home heat pump. I know I'm in the minority but I thought it was lousy. Very noisy, located right under my bed. I would have preferred the traditional couple of roof mounted a/c units, which are a known piece of equipment and most anyone can service them. And the "heat" portion of the basement air never really heated the coach -- I usually switched it to propane or used a space heater.

That said, you generally have to take what the manufacturer provides in the rig with the size, layout, and price that you want.

Likewise, the diesel powered generator in that rig ran like a charm -- never even a hiccup.
Old 07-14-2015, 09:50 PM   #18

Thanks for all the feed back, I think once my decision is made it will be a great one!
Old 07-28-2015, 09:22 PM   #19

Well now I found a PLEASURE WAY ASCENT and like it lots as well.
Old 07-28-2015, 09:24 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jostalli View Post
Cargo Volume:
Agile (Sprinter 144" high roof): 373.8 (cu ft)
Travato (Promaster 159" ext): 530 (cu ft)

Overall Length:
Agile (Sprinter 144" high roof): 233.3"
Travato (Promaster 159" ext): 250"

You asked for a "Micro or 18-20 footer". The Travato is 8" over your request but it is an enormous amount of space compared to others in that size range. Night and day, IMHO.

The Travato (Promaster 159" ext) has the same cargo volume as the Sprinter 170" ext.
I am not set on it being short but I like the Sprinter short box lots!