Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2018, 04:50 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Sun Roof/Fan

Yesterday I opened the sun roof to let in some air. After a few minutes, it came back down on its own. The handle in the upper right corner is used to open and close the sun roof.

When I tried to open it again, the handle just spun. I then tried to tighten the screw in the handle to no avail.

Any ideas how I can fix this so it can be opened and also so I can be sure it's closed enough not to let rain in?

This is a 1997 Coach House.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fan.jpg (62.8 KB, 7 views)
soohma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 10:01 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Not too big a deal, probably the common problem of stripped gears. Depending on your brand (Fantastic Fan or Maxxfan), parts can be found and replaced without removing the fan.

First, I'd recommend removing the knob to determine it isn't spinning freely on the shaft. If it's not loose and is spinning the shaft when turned, then most likely it is the gearset that is bad.

If you don't have a parts manual for your fan, I would call tech support for the company who made it and ask them for the correct part number. You can ask to order it directly from them, or just search Amazon, Ebay, etc. for the best price.

Good luck.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 11:22 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Thanks so much. The fan I have is a Jensen. I'm trying to track them down, but have also called Coach House to see if they can help.
soohma is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
broken, handle, sun roof