Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2019, 12:42 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Default T1N Sprinter 2006040001 Recall

Hi Everybody,

According to a California DMV renewal letter, to register my 2004 LTV Free Spirit, I must provide proof that Daimler AG Campaign No. 201604001 recall work has been performed on my Sprinter. The recall fixes a problem where the Mass Air Flow sensor fails to trigger a Check Engine Light when certain error conditions occur.

I took my van to the local Mercedes dealer, which sells lots of Sprinters. Even though my Sprinter is a Freightliner and a Chrysler product according to the VIN, all Sprinters are made in the same factory, so a Mercedes dealer will do the work.

After the recall work was performed, all seemed well except maybe the odometer light failed to shut off when I turned off the engine when I got home. Later, when walking the dogs, as we passed by the van I noticed a faint high-pitched squeal coming from the engine compartment. The next morning, my battery was dead. I jump started it and drove it a bit, and determined that after driving it, if I toggled the ignition back on and off a few times, the odometer light would stay off and the squeal (determined to be the EGR valve stuck on some kind of cleaning cycle) would stop, too.

I put the van on a battery charger, then started it the next day, and the check engine light appeared.

Meanwhile, I took the opportunity to respond to the dealer's "How Did We Do?" email to detail the issues I was having. The service advisor telephoned and I made an appointment to have the problems addressed.

The status right now is the Sprinter is at the dealer. The symptoms I described are being handled under warranty.

Looking elsewhere on the web I read several horror stories related to this recall, with the same problems I'm dealing with. The general tenor of the comments is, if you don't have to do this recall, don't. Being in California I don't have that luxury, but compared to the experience of other people, I feel fortunate in that I'm working with a service advisor at a dealer that is owning the problem.

I'll post an update when I have one.

Anyone else on this forum dealt with this?

-Bob
rvsprinterguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 03:59 AM   #2
Platinum Member

You need a new instrument cluster, it will be covered under the recall. It should fix the problem, some people have needed MAF sensors too.

This is the same as the T21 recall for Dodge Sprinters. You can find more information on the Sprinter Source Forum, under T1N, there are 2 sticky posts (one for Dodge, one for Freightliner) and another regular post T21 Emissions Recall Notice which has around 60+ pages and at least 600 posts. The recall seems to go ok for 2006 and most 2005 but 2004 model is a problem and I don't know if there is a single 2004 that didn't require a new instrument cluster. You can stop it from draining your battery by cycling the key on and off but it won't stop you from getting errors. I suggest you check out the website above for more information.
Lennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 06:54 PM   #3
Platinum Member

A quick follow up... My van did need a new instrument cluster. The dealer replaced it at no charge. Kudos to Autobahn Motors in Belmont, California!
Old 03-01-2019, 06:59 PM   #4
Bud
Platinum Member

Good for you Bob, and thanks for posting.
Bud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 04:58 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvsprinterguy View Post
A quick follow up... My van did need a new instrument cluster. The dealer replaced it at no charge. Kudos to Autobahn Motors in Belmont, California!
How long after the recall was done did you have the instrument cluster replaced? Thanks
miquinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 08:08 PM   #6
Platinum Member

The next day after the recall work was done (flashing the ECU or whatever), my battery was dead because of the EGR valve being continuously energized. I reported the problem two days after the recall work was completed and got a service appointment immediately. It took the dealer about a week to source the new instrument cluster. I've had no other problems in the year-plus since then.
Old 07-23-2020, 09:34 PM   #7

That makes sense. The recall was done two years ago now before I owned the van. The dealership says that has been too long for them to cover the problems caused by it.
miquinn is offline   Reply With Quote