Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-05-2018, 07:11 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Technology innovation in the B-class

We often talk about the technology innovation in the B-class Camping vehicles and I wish to see comments about problems solved by technical, design or cost reduction innovations. Please don't post Lithium of any type on this thread due to the risk of dwarfing all other subjects, so no Lithium please. Posts should include a problem coupled with the corresponding innovative solution.

For example:
A headache of levelling requirement driven by absorption refrigerators, solution = compressor based fridges.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 07:08 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Would the problem of sway and buffeting caused by semi-truck "wash" and/or side-winds now addressed by the technology of VB Air Suspension qualify?
Old 03-06-2018, 07:34 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikes47 View Post
Would the problem of sway and buffeting caused by semi-truck "wash" and/or side-winds now addressed by the technology of VB Air Suspension qualify?

IIRC, the VB suspension is more focussed on mitigating the buck board ride in the rear of the Sprinter than addressing sway and buffeting.
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 07:55 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruising7388 View Post
IIRC, the VB suspension is more focussed on mitigating the buck board ride in the rear of the Sprinter than addressing sway and buffeting.
Agreed. However, the VB-Air Suspension website also includes this about driveability:
Motorhome
Camper
As a motorhome owner, you probably know the feeling of intense crosswinds while driving your motorhome. While overtaking lorries or buses, your motorhome can be unstable. At high speed, it can be dangerous for both your motorhome and your own safety. With the installation of air suspension, your motorhome is more stable on the road and less sensitive to crosswinds.
Here's the link to the rest of their Motorhome discussion: https://www.vbairsuspension.com/en/p...motorhome.html
Old 03-06-2018, 07:55 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruising7388 View Post
They do both. That's why I bought VB Air Suspension having direct experience with and without it with my 2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter and a test drive in an Advanced RV in the driver's seat and in the back sofa over the same route on side roads and highway. And, of course, since buying it and the experience in all conditions. It was a good investment. The bonus is you can adjust from front to back about 2" up or down leveling negating blocking in many instances. It self levels.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 08:00 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Being a softer ride, the air springs will have less rate than the original leaf springs, and that would normally indicate more sway in the wind. However, it is easy to correct just by adding the right size sway bar to match the weight and wind area of the vehicle. They likely have done a good job of the matching, as they should for the price they get.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 08:06 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Another problem that has been addressed by technology is the problem of limited energy storage and the technological solution has been the introduction of LED lighting. I'm not sure whether multiplex wiring would also fit under this energy conservation umbrella.
Old 03-07-2018, 12:15 AM   #8
Silver Member

The Truma Combi water heater/furnace takes up less space than the traditional 6 gallon water heater with separate furnace. It also has the ability to operate using propane or electric (or both!), so you can conserve your propane if you are camping with electric hookups.
gk&hc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 01:55 AM   #9
Platinum Member

Speaking of the Truma, Espar is another heating/hot-water technology solution that uses diesel fuel and/or electricity instead of propane.
Old 03-08-2018, 12:31 PM   #10
Platinum Member

What I said in this other post about low-cost innovations in cellular-based security options is relevant within the Class B context because it applies in situations where nobody would ever take a Class A or even a C. Urban areas pose risks and management challenges that are unlike those found in other places such as campgrounds, parks, and geographically remote locations.

The same thing is true of cellular connectivity generally. I haven't had much luck with MIMO hardware, but the booster technology that is on the market today is impressive. We hardly ever go anywhere without turning it on. It allows me to remain off-grid without being out of touch, which is essential given that I run my own small business.

And of course those same products are applied well beyond the Class B market, but other users tend to have different need scenarios for them.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 01:17 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
I haven't had much luck with MIMO hardware, but the booster technology that is on the market today is impressive.
I don't doubt your experience, but it puzzles me. I have had exceptionally good (and quantitatively documented) experience with MiMo. I have spent more time and money than I like to think about trying to make various cell-repeaters work. In my experience, many of them are worse than useless. The best of them pale in effectiveness to a properly designed and installed MiMo setup. At least that is what I have experienced, and I have a LOT of experience.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 07:27 PM   #12
Platinum Member

LOL it puzzles me, too. Technomadia sang the MIMO praises and so I bought one that was specific to the air card I was using (Netgear subsequently quit producing that kind of antenna altogether for reasons that are not clear). Maybe I have a defective unit. I don't know. I've never been able to get a peep out of the thing.

weBoost, on the other hand, kicks major butt.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 11:21 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
LOL it puzzles me, too. Technomadia sang the MIMO praises and so I bought one that was specific to the air card I was using (Netgear subsequently quit producing that kind of antenna altogether for reasons that are not clear). Maybe I have a defective unit. I don't know. I've never been able to get a peep out of the thing.

weBoost, on the other hand, kicks major butt.
You need a real MiMo antenna designed by somebody who knows what they are doing. I recommend the AntennaPlus AP-CC-M-SCSC-WH, which is a little more than $100. Installed on your roof with a proper ground plane, and you will be blown away. It will bring in your signal without amplifying the noise along with it.

IMG_7216.jpg
Old 03-09-2018, 01:54 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Would y'all mind backing up a step or two? I looked up MIMO on wikipedia and got a definition, but confess I'm not really sure I understand the practical application. Is this something that enhances a cell signal for your phone? Sorry to be so dense, but can't believe I'm the only one behind the electronic power curve...
Old 03-09-2018, 02:25 PM   #15
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoebe3 View Post
Would y'all mind backing up a step or two? I looked up MIMO on wikipedia and got a definition, but confess I'm not really sure I understand the practical application. Is this something that enhances a cell signal for your phone? Sorry to be so dense, but can't believe I'm the only one behind the electronic power curve...
It's an antenna, that's all I know.

Dense? This is geek stuff. Only geeks can understand this stuff.

Old 03-09-2018, 05:40 PM   #16
Site Team

MiMo is an antenna architecture that does semi-magical stuff by intelligent use of two or more physical antennas at one or both sides of a wireless link. The basic idea is that if you have two antennas on each end, you have FOUR potential signal paths among them. This is a big deal because one of those paths is often much better than the others (due to various kinds of interference caused by reflection interference and other phenomena). The radios constantly monitor all possible paths, and rapidly switch to whatever is best at any given instant. It works really, really well.

MiMo can be used in many RF applications (it is why most high-end WiFi base stations have two antennas these days). The particular application we are talking about here involves using it for cell signals. Most modern cell towers are MiMo equipped. I don't know if cell-phones do it, but you can get MiFi hot spots that have dual antenna ports. if you put a MiMo antenna on your roof and plug in both leads to the two antenna ports, you will be a happy person.

The problem with cell repeaters is that, although they do indeed amplify the signal, they also amplify the noise; and it is the signal-to-noise ratio that matters. Just looking at the bars will make you think it is working well, but often (but not always), putting your phone into maintenance mode where you can see the S/N ratio, will show a much less dramatic improvement. Most systematic measurements that I have seen have confirmed that MiMo significantly outperforms repeaters, and it is much simpler and cheaper.
Old 03-09-2018, 06:02 PM   #17
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
MiMo is an antenna architecture that does semi-magical stuff by intelligent use of two or more physical antennas at one or both sides of a wireless link. The basic idea is that if you have two antennas on each end, you have FOUR potential signal paths among them. This is a big deal because one of those paths is often much better than the others (due to various kinds of interference caused by reflection interference and other phenomena). The radios constantly monitor all possible paths, and rapidly switch to whatever is best at any given instant. It works really, really well.

MiMo can be used in many RF applications (it is why most high-end WiFi base stations have two antennas these days). The particular application we are talking about here involves using it for cell signals. Most modern cell towers are MiMo equipped. I don't know if cell-phones do it, but you can get MiFi hot spots that have dual antenna ports. if you put a MiMo antenna on your roof and plug in both leads to the two antenna ports, you will be a happy person.

The problem with cell repeaters is that, although they do indeed amplify the signal, they also amplify the noise; and it is the signal-to-noise ratio that matters. Just looking at the bars will make you think it is working well, but often (but not always), putting your phone into maintenance mode where you can see the S/N ratio, will show a much less dramatic improvement. Most systematic measurements that I have seen have confirmed that MiMo significantly outperforms repeaters, and it is much simpler and cheaper.
So after this mimo antenna system 'has the cell phone signal' what happens to it?

Bud
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 08:46 PM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
So after this mimo antenna system 'has the cell phone signal' what happens to it?

Bud
It creates a wifi hotspot. If you enable WiFi calling on your phone, you can make calls via the hotspot if the phone has no service.
Old 03-09-2018, 09:10 PM   #19
Site Team

Not all mobile hotspots have provisions for external MiMo antennas. The MiFi device I use is the Verizon Jetpack AC791L by Netgear.

One issue is that the tiny antenna jacks are kind of fragile. It is ok if they are left attached, but repeated connections/disconnections can cause them to fail eventually. I solved this by designing and 3-D printing a cradle:

IMG_7275.jpg

Works great. If anyone wants the model to print their own, send me a PM.
Old 03-09-2018, 09:31 PM   #20
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
Not all mobile hotspots have provisions for external MiMo antennas. The MiFi device I use is the Verizon Jetpack AC791L by Netgear.

One issue is that the tiny antenna jacks are kind of fragile. It is ok if they are left attached, but repeated connections/disconnections can cause them to fail eventually. I solved this by designing and 3-D printing a cradle:

Attachment 5443

Works great. If anyone wants the model to print their own, send me a PM.

I'm confused avanti, probably because of inattention, sorry.

Can you imagine using a cell phone booster With your version jet pack?

Thanks.

Bud
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
innovation