Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2012, 06:14 PM   #1

Default TELEVISION RECEPTION

I just purchased an American Cruiser Class B Van on a 2000 Dodge 2500 chassis with a 3 KW generator.

It has a 12" TV with a VCR (both 12 volt). It has no antenna , only a cable jack on the outside to use when in a RV park. We plan on mostly DRY CAMPING so this will not suit our needs.

What do I need as far as an antenna? I will mount one on the top if need be. Also I was told that I could take one of my Direct TV receivers and use it on the road with a dish (which I have). I know the receiver is 120 volts and could be a problem unless I use the generator.

Any suggestions on any of this. We also plan on upgrading to a larger flat screen TV with a DVD Player and this might be the time. Any thoughts on a 120 volt TV vs a 12 volt TV.

Any suggestions are welcome.
Sam
SAMGEORGEJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:41 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: TELEVISION RECEPTION

The specifications listed on this page: http://www.classbforum.com/phpBB2/vi...hp?f=11&t=1380 indicate that it has a "Built in TV antenna".

Inside your van, where the TV connects is there some type of signal source switch? Maybe labeled Cable / Air or simply A / B. There might be a signal amplifier there also.

Adding an inverter to your van will let you convert 12 volt DC battery power to the 120 volt AC needed by most TV's and your satellite receiver. A 500 or 750 watt inverter should be more than enough for what you describe. You won't need to run the generator to watch TV then.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:50 PM   #3
Platinum Member

I think you would need a digital converter box too if the TV is original. When all is said and done a new TV would be smarter as well with any investment you would make to get over the air TV.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:04 PM   #4
Platinum Member

I have a 99 American Cruiser. The prior owner had replaced the original analog TV with a small 120VAC flatscreen and installed a roof top Wingard amplified antenna. I have added a small 400 watt inverter and a cheap DVD player, both from WallyWorld. Here in rural Maine, the antenna is not very effective, in our dooryard I get a couple of channels. I suspect nearer cities rception will be better but I tend to avoid cities. Most of our trips are for a day or so the lack of reception hasn't been a problem, we simply borrow a couple of DVDs from my daughter extensive collection. We have both 12VDC and 120VAC in the original tv cabinet. When we are drycamping, we plug the inverter into the 12VDC socket to power both the TV & DVD player. Works greats. I took the TV and mounted it to the outside of one of the cabinet doors freing up the cabinet to store our sleeping bags.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Slide1.JPG (30.5 KB, 755 views)
File Type: jpg Slide2.JPG (29.2 KB, 755 views)
File Type: jpg Slide3.JPG (24.0 KB, 755 views)
File Type: jpg Slide4.JPG (24.0 KB, 755 views)
AmCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:59 PM   #5
Bronze Member

With the "new" digital TV precasts, I suggest you google JACK TV ANTENNA. We have one in our new Winnebago ERA and it's the best TV antenna we've ever had on any of our 10 RV's. One of the main benefits of the JACK antenna is the fact that it is omni directional with a built in booster and strength indicator. They cost in the $100-$150 range, are small, and function very well. Give the JACK a try, you won't be sorry.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:43 PM   #6
Platinum Member

I think I just might try one. Amazon has the Jack OA-8000 antenna for $47.99 US.
AmCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote