Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2015, 03:15 PM   #41
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XROADTREK View Post
I did spend some time crawling underneath looking at the set up, and, solely based on what I could see, IMO the only thing proprietary appeared to be the unique handwriting of some factory worker who wrote "balancer" on a piece of masking tape and wrapped it around one of the cables.
No "magic box" sprinkled with fairy dust?????

I am devastated (but not all the surprised)
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 03:22 PM   #42
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
This higher voltage option will get more interesting in the future. Right now it looks like 48 volt start-stop systems will be in many vehicles starting in 2017 when the next level of new emissions standards in the EU and USA will take effect.

48-Volt Systems for Automotive Applications -- LONDON, June 8, 2015 /PRNewswire/ --

Editorial: High-voltage developments - SAE International

At the recent ARV Fest a rep from Mercedes vans confirmed that the new Sprinter in 2017 would have the 48 volt star-stop system. Some Mercedes car models in USA already have a system known as ECO Start/Stop, which is only 12volt.

In the telecommunications world 48 volt inverters are the norm for max efficiency.
I totally agree. We have talked about higher voltage systems here a couple of times, and to me it has always seemed logical to do a 36 or 48 volt system off a standalone engine generator for an RV. 48v inverter/charger and 48 to 12v voltage converter and you would be good to go, with way less huge cable strung all over.

I don't know if vehicle rules are the same, but in the industrial stuff I dealt with in the past we had a lot of rules cut in at 50 volts, and the charge voltage on a 48 volt system would get into the +50v area. That might do some limiting to 36v if the same rules apply.
Old 08-13-2015, 07:42 PM   #43
Platinum Member

You could probably just put in one of these, and totally take the coach off of the 12v split.

60 Amp 24 Volt - 13.8 Volt Non-Isolated Step-Down Converter | SDC-60

60 amps highly regulated, off of the full 24v battery pack.

I looked at the Victron balancer, and it appears it only evens out the batteries on recharge, not on the discharge side? Don't know if that is right or if others do the same, but it would not be particularly very good that way, for the use in tapped 12v system, I would think.
Old 08-13-2015, 08:02 PM   #44

Booster-Here is an email excerpt from the Roadtrek repair person in regards to fixing the balancing problem. Possibly you will know what he is talking about?

"Yes, the equalizer add would be under Roadtrek warranty.
The work requires mounting the equalizer & breakers, making floor penetrations, running the cable under the Roadtrek, making the battery bank connections and testing the operation."
XROADTREK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 08:07 PM   #45
Platinum Member

That sounds about right. The balancer would be a unit that needs to be inside the van for protection, and the wiring needs to be fused (breakers), so that would be a pretty good description of how it would go. It probably would take a bit of cable if they needed to go all the way to the front batteries.
Old 09-10-2015, 01:26 PM   #46
Platinum Member

This unit is now being transported to the Roadtrek factory for repairs:

BOSTON DEJA VU | The Etrek Blog

Fingers crossed that they get all the problems solved for the owners. It would be a good time to install a balancer or equalizer in the unit if it doesn't already have one.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 10:03 PM   #47
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo View Post
This unit is now being transported to the Roadtrek factory for repairs:

BOSTON DEJA VU | The Etrek Blog

Fingers crossed that they get all the problems solved for the owners. It would be a good time to install a balancer or equalizer in the unit if it doesn't already have one.
X2 on getting the balancer, they should get one without question.

On the blog they talked about it throwing the belt for the engine generator belt repeatedly, and later said the belt off made the engine heat up because the fan wasn't turning with the thrown belt (maybe no waterpump either).

Avanti just put on an add on generator, and his was standalone, on it's own belt, I think. I also think Davydd said his was on separate belt with an extra fan or ducting to cool the generator. It sounds like Roadftrek might have tagged onto the original serpentine belt setup? That would be a lot of load for a single belt, I would think. I know that Campskunk wrote up a belt changing procedure on the Roadtreking site, so belt failure must be pretty common.

Has anyone seen how they have it belted in an e-trek?
Old 09-10-2015, 11:35 PM   #48
Platinum Member

The E-Trek changes out the original Sprinter serpentine to a different size. Since MB shops are unlikely to have this belt, RoadTrek advises ETrek owners to carry a spare.

The spare is a standard NAPA size, easily found, mine was $20. My spare rides in the door pocket where the first aid kit is.
Old 09-10-2015, 11:50 PM   #49
Site Team

Yes, the Nations Alternator setup uses a separate belt and tensioner, plus an additional pulley that bolts onto the front of the OEM crankshaft pulley. Very high quality stuff. I think we have established that DavyDD's is indeed similar.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 05:58 PM   #50
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgraham View Post
The E-Trek changes out the original Sprinter serpentine to a different size. Since MB shops are unlikely to have this belt, RoadTrek advises ETrek owners to carry a spare.

The spare is a standard NAPA size, easily found, mine was $20. My spare rides in the door pocket where the first aid kit is.
So the new belt they put on drives everything?
Old 09-12-2015, 06:18 PM   #51
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
So the new belt they put on drives everything?
I look at it differently: the old belt drove everything. The new belt drives everything + the 2nd alternator!
Old 09-12-2015, 07:33 PM   #52
Platinum Member

the belt that is on a sprinter engine will not work on a sprinter engine that has been fitted with another pulley for the engine generator(2nd alternator)-it needs a different size belt replacing the standard serpentine beltt

this is done on all roadtreks except for zion which has a separate pulley and belt
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 08:05 PM   #53
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrym51 View Post
the belt that is on a sprinter engine will not work on a sprinter engine that has been fitted with another pulley for the engine generator(2nd alternator)-it needs a different size belt replacing the standard serpentine beltt

this is done on all roadtreks except for zion which has a separate pulley and belt
I don't understand what you are claiming. What is the difference between "fitted with another pulley" and "has a separate pulley"?

On the Nation's setup, a second pulley is bolted onto the front of the OEM crankcase pulley, and a second (separate) belt is used to drive the 2nd alternator. The OEM belt and its routing are not changed in any way.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 01:12 AM   #54
Platinum Member

i'm not explaining it correctly on models except the zion use one serpentine belt. the zion has 2 belts. the engine alternator has it's own
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 04:23 PM   #55
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgraham View Post
I look at it differently: the old belt drove everything. The new belt drives everything + the 2nd alternator!
From a simplicity standpoint, the single belt is great. From a cost point, it would also be much cheaper, also. My concern would be related to belt life because life is determined by age and load. Two big alternators, AC, power steering, etc is a lot of load. The one on Marko's post was running both AC units, so the belt was highly loaded, which can make belts run hot and pop off.
Old 09-13-2015, 11:30 PM   #56
Platinum Member

But there's nothing I can do about this. I just hope it holds up, and tells me when I need my spare.
Old 09-14-2015, 12:50 AM   #57
Platinum Member

Check to see if they make an extended service belt for yours. I think they are Gates and green in color. GM and others also private label them.
Old 09-14-2015, 05:31 AM   #58
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
Check to see if they make an extended service belt for yours. I think they are Gates and green in color. GM and others also private label them.
Indeed, my NAPA has these in stock. They cost twice the regular. I figured the regular one will get me home. (Or to the nearest NAPA!)
Old 09-14-2015, 03:10 PM   #59
Platinum Member

Does anyone have a sense of the expected life of a serpentine belt? Does it make sense to just replace it as part of a A or B service?
Arlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 07:02 PM   #60
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlo View Post
Does anyone have a sense of the expected life of a serpentine belt? Does it make sense to just replace it as part of a A or B service?
I would have them check it when you have the A or B service done & replace if needed, but I would expect it to last for many years.

My last two cars I had for about 10 years each, one I drove 150k miles, the other 190k, and I think I replaced the serpentine belt once on each of them. My current car has just over 100K & I had them check the belt at the 100K service & it didn't need replacing yet (it's just over 6 years old).

But those were cars, not RVs with an extra alternator, so maybe that has an effect on the belt lifespan. Even so, I wouldn't expect to have to change it anywhere near as frequently as the engine oil.