Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2015, 05:17 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkin View Post
Isn't that rather what Sportsmobile is already doing?
Sort of. I'm not sure Sportsmobile has the "elegant design DNA" to pull it off, at least with their current staff, nor to market it correctly.

Someone in another thread commented that their brand new units feel dated. I've only seen a few SMB builds because they're so hard to come by, so most of my opinion is based on their Web site and photos. If those are representative, the builds are really utilitarian, probably too utilitarian. For example, the wood paneling just doesn't look as good as others on the market.

Maybe this is a byproduct of having a lot of customers who want gear haulers (not SMB's preference) or of bad photos. Even the Web site feels like it was created by someone who values utility above clean design lines, though.

Sportsmobile does have fantastic market knowledge and an appreciation for order process, though.

I think it would be more likely that Advanced RV did this as a lower priced product which could deliver the same profit margin %. Advanced gets elegant design and build quality. A less expensive model that's a customer-reconfigurable shell might let them consider every inbound lead a prospective customer, and then build goodwill to sell them a totally custom Advanced model in 5-10 years.

Troy
troyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 06:52 PM   #62
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jostalli View Post
Not sustainable long term but that's what you do to crush the competition.
Well, call me a "joiner", but I wouldn't mind doing my part to help to "crush the competition"
Scottbaldassari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 07:22 PM   #63
Platinum Member

Talking

who's the competition
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 08:20 PM   #64
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrym51 View Post
who's the competition
I'm not sure and don't really care

I just meant I would be glad to do my part by paying a lower price (whether real or fabricated) to Winnebago...

Old 06-24-2015, 02:04 AM   #65
Platinum Member

According to some, the competition for a brand new Travato is a brand new Chevy Suburban. Believe it or not, they are close in price. State of the automotive industry today - all models are much more expensive and gaining fast.

As I've said before, most of the people that show interest in my van and want to look inside are not elderly or retired touring types. They tend to be middle aged folks.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 10:33 AM   #66
Platinum Member

lol. Yes, the Travato is definitely an "alternative" sort of RV, The floorplan may not be all that much different from from some 20 years old class C's, but the fact that its all crammed into a 21' front wheel drive van with standing room is.

I was at a RV dealer who was located next door to a harley dealer. Last summer the Harley dealer was having some kind of customer appreciation show, and had a "tricked out" Chevy Suburban (with Harley logos embroidered on the seats). The sticker price on the suburban was 10% MORE than the Travato parked not so far away. As a matter of fact, some of the motorcycles were more than HALF of the price of the Travato. Motorcycles you could PARK INSIDE the Travato!
When looked at in that light, it's kind of hard to complain about the price of a Travato. Neither the Suburban or the Harley had a bed, a toilet, or hot running water...