Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2018, 09:51 PM   #21
Silver Member

I would agree w you that a black water tank beats a caseete toilet. I've had every size and shape of class a, b, c and trailers and it is nice not to have to worry about emptying a tiny tank constantly.
If i was building new i would DEFINTELY set up with both a normal dump valve and a SEPERATE dump through a macerator PUMP(not just a macerator) to a long hose.
I also boat so a macerator pump is an excellent, easy, and not messy way to dump into any size container or even into a toilet, outhouse, or a hole dug into the ground(not near any water well of course.
You can even fill jugs and toss them into a dumpster for land filling in a pinch.
Camoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 12:36 AM   #22
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camoman View Post
I would agree w you that a black water tank beats a caseete toilet. I've had every size and shape of class a, b, c and trailers and it is nice not to have to worry about emptying a tiny tank constantly.

If i was building new i would DEFINTELY set up with both a normal dump valve and a SEPERATE dump through a macerator PUMP(not just a macerator) to a long hose.

I also boat so a macerator pump is an excellent, easy, and not messy way to dump into any size container or even into a toilet, outhouse, or a hole dug into the ground(not near any water well of course.

You can even fill jugs and toss them into a dumpster for land filling in a pinch.

Agree about having both a gravity and macerator dump capability. I added a T-fitting to my dump line just before the macerator as a back-up should the macerator pump fail. Advanced RV installs a similar dual mode dump system.
Old 07-30-2018, 01:06 AM   #23
jon
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
Agree about having both a gravity and macerator dump capability. I added a T-fitting to my dump line just before the macerator as a back-up should the macerator pump fail. Advanced RV installs a similar dual mode dump system.
The more I think about it I'll just do a gravity black tank and hook one of these macerator pumps when I want to pump the waste:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Flojet-18555-000A.jpg (11.0 KB, 112 views)
jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 02:33 AM   #24
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon View Post
I care.
My current campervan:
Would love to see photos of the inside of your van. I am leaning towards converting a transit passenger van...with a cassette or composting toilet.
Oliver2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 02:44 AM   #25
jon
Platinum Member

Here are a couple shots. Funny that your doing a transit because I just ordered a 148 MR to have converted. Then my 4x4 Sprinter will be for sale.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg camp_mode.jpg (162.3 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg cassette toilet.jpg (207.1 KB, 19 views)
Old 07-30-2018, 02:53 AM   #26
Platinum Member

Quote:
The more I think about it I'll just do a gravity black tank and hook one of these macerator pumps when I want to pump the waste:
That is the setup used by Advanced RV.
Old 07-30-2018, 03:19 AM   #27
Site Team

Quote:
You are missing most of the advantage of a macerator if your system isn't completely sealed under normal use. With a plumbed-in macerator that pumps into a stretchy 3/4" hose with a cap at the end, you never touch or smell anything nasty. I would never consider any other system.

I agree that having a back-up gravity dump option is important. This fitting makes it very easy:

It is Valterra T1037. The macerator connects to the rear connection.

Mine is set up like this:

This external compartment holds both the permanently-attached, sealed stretchy hose and the backup slinky (which I happily have so-far never had to use):

avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 04:15 AM   #28
Platinum Member

Quote:
Here are a couple shots. Funny that your doing a transit because I just ordered a 148 MR to have converted. Then my 4x4 Sprinter will be for sale.
Thank you! Love the set up!!!
Oliver2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 07:46 AM   #29
Gold Member

I put a very simple composting toilet in my camper van (read “glorified bucket”). I never want to deal with black/grey tanks again.
VocalVirgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 08:05 AM   #30
Platinum Member

One of the reasons for the 402C Cassette toilet in my van was a good road clearance. The marine hot water tank (Isotemp) is just over 1” below the lower rocker panel edge. The other picture shows fresh water tank with no road clearance impact.

While looking for a B-class the side skirts landed squarely on the no-no list, adding to the decision for the DIY conversion.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ZZGR0183.JPG (415.3 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg ZZGR0171.JPG (432.1 KB, 17 views)
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 03:39 PM   #31
jon
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
One of the reasons for the 402C Cassette toilet in my van was a good road clearance. The marine hot water tank (Isotemp) is just over 1” below the lower rocker panel edge. The other picture shows fresh water tank with no road clearance impact.

While looking for a B-class the side skirts landed squarely on the no-no list, adding to the decision for the DIY conversion.
This is my dilemma. I won't have any skirts to hide any fittings behind. I don't mind reaching under the van to connect. Maybe I can have a fitting half hidden behind rocker panel somewhere. Perhaps I can locate it directly behind a running board.

Mr GeorgeRa where is your grey water valve?

Thanks,
Jon
Old 07-30-2018, 05:17 PM   #32
Platinum Member

Quote:
This is my dilemma. I won't have any skirts to hide any fittings behind. I don't mind reaching under the van to connect. Maybe I can have a fitting half hidden behind rocker panel somewhere. Perhaps I can locate it directly behind a running board.

Mr GeorgeRa where is your grey water valve?

Thanks,
Jon
Here it is, the 14 gal. SS tank attached to the same steel angles as the water heater. We don’t wash dishes with a lot of food left over in the sink so ¾” gravity drain is sufficient. I have a short hose to easy aiming but am considering changing from barb fitting to garden a hose fitting and longer handle valve.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ZGR01015.JPG (390.5 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg 1-ZZGR0174.JPG (411.5 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg ZZGR0183.JPG (189.0 KB, 16 views)
Old 07-30-2018, 07:54 PM   #33
RKM

Quote:
I see you put in the Thetford C-220 cassette toilet. We had a composting toilet originally installed in our Promaster. We didn’t like emptying the pee bottle every day - next time I would have the liquids empty directly into the grey tank.
Next,we went to a porta potty.
Not bad but very heavy and awkward separating the two tanks in a small space.
Next, we thought of putting in the Thetford C-220 cassette toilet. At least the cassette is on wheels and has a handle. Putting a hole in the outside of our van is not an option...we think we could install it so the hole is on the interior bathroom wall as the aisle there should accommodate the length of the cassette as it is removed.
Any thought about this?
My husband wishes we had arranged the original build to accommodate a regular rv toilet emptying into a black or grey/black tank in case we didn’t like the composting toilet.
It’s not an option for us at this point.
For me, the nice thing about Rving is you don’t have to use a public toilet, you can sleep in your own bed with your own sheets/pillows etc.
May I ask what is the length of the cassette?
RKM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 08:43 PM   #34
jon
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKM View Post
I see you put in the Thetford C-220 cassette toilet. May I ask what is the length of the cassette?
Actually I have a C200 cassette. The cassette is 3 1/2 gallons, think, and it doesn't have wheels. It hasn't been bad to carry in the house and empty after every trip, but I would rather empty a black tank. I don't have a strategically located sewer clean out yet so this works fine.
My cassette is about 18.5 inches.
https://www.thetford.com/wp-content/...ion-Manual.pdf
Old 08-01-2018, 11:42 PM   #35
Platinum Member

The Russo's have posted a new video on cassette toilets. Good information.
https://youtu.be/VfeTpopJIKY
Old 08-02-2018, 12:01 AM   #36
jon
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
The Russo's have posted a new video on cassette toilets. Good information.
https://youtu.be/VfeTpopJIKY
Sorry, I had to turn it off when he started talking about plastic "pet waste bags" and worst lining the toilet with a bag. How hard is it to carry another cassette?

I've used a cassette toilet for over two years. They use it for number two because it's a lot harder to empty the cassette with toilet paper wads and other stuff that doesn't break down. First there is that narrow neck and 90 degree angle I have to rinse and shake to get "things" through that bottleneck. Also the stuff splashes when it hits the water. I've ever emptied in anything other than a toilet.

I really want a black tank but cassette toilets are so compact that I might have to get another one.
Old 08-02-2018, 06:49 AM   #37
Platinum Member

Definitely a summary video based on actual experience without biased like on FitRV video.

I agree with Jon about the plastic bags, why not a second cassette for situation when needed, way better option than dealing with plastic bags.

Another issue I have with this video is use of white vinegar, it is not disinfectant and at best it is a mild cleaning agent. Why not use chemicals designed for black tank or cassette systems which are engineered for high oxygen content instead Russo’s naïve invention. I could be wrong but I think formaldehyde is no longer used for this application. Thetford and many other company used oxygen-based chemicals like the one I used for years – Odorlos.
Old 08-03-2018, 03:14 PM   #38
Silver Member

Has anyone looked carefully at a Hymer Aktiv to gauge the practicality of replacing the cassette system with a black tank?
JeanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 04:05 PM   #39
jon
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanM View Post
Has anyone looked carefully at a Hymer Aktiv to gauge the practicality of replacing the cassette system with a black tank?
I wanted to get one of those.........But, I want real passenger seats for the second row, don't want a cassette hole cut in the van, and wanted a sofa bed in back. I know the 2.0 has a sofa but I want the shorter van.

So I looked into custom and learned that most of the custom RV converters won't put seats in the back of the promaster. That's why I ordered a transit.
Old 08-03-2018, 05:43 PM   #40
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanM View Post

I think the option is called 59G.