Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-27-2015, 02:32 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Default This is why I love my class B

We recently returned from a 2 week holiday, we started on route 66 heading south as far as Grand canyon, then up through Hoover dam on our way to Las Vegas for 2 nights, we then continued up into Utah to visit Zion, Bryce and Capitol Reef national, parks, we ended in the Arches, then came home through the Rocky mountains , Denver, and the Plains of Omaha, it was trully the greatest holiday I have ever taken, we boondocked the whole 2 weeks, not even once did we stay in a campground, we cooked all our own healthy and nutritous meals, we saw every sunset, and every sunrise, from the comfort of our Class B, we had plenty of food, lots of snacks, we are getting better at not packing tooo much clothes and accesories, while we saw alot of different types of rv's, I really believe the class ;B is perfect for our style of touring, easy to park anywhere, great on gas, bed, bathroom, shower, fridge, we have it all, I only regret not doing this sooner, there are so many places I still want to go and see, and it seems we get better with each trip,,,,,,,, chhers , and hope you all have a great trip in the near future,,,,,,,,,,,, take care,,,,,,,,,, Josef,,,,,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20151011_142231.jpg (164.6 KB, 42 views)
peppster66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 03:17 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

We just returned (just over a week ago) along some of the same routes as you. Did we wave to you? What make/model is your B? I bet we saw you stuck in traffic along I-70 in Colorado due to the construction lane closures.
The places you visited are among our favorites. We spent several days/nights at Bryce Canyon NP and some time at Grand Canyon SR NP, before heading home through New Mexico, Colorado along I-25, and then east on I-80. That's where the outlet malls live......
Old 10-27-2015, 10:28 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Hi Mike, we have an older 1997 Roatrek 190, white with blue stripes, we try and wave at the fellow rv's, what a beautifull part of the country to visit, it sounds like we had a similar route planned out, truly one of my best holidays ever,,,,,take care,,,
Old 10-28-2015, 12:22 AM   #4

Hello peppster66, that sounds like a fun drive! I am newbie/wannabe RV owner, Question for you and the group. I am looking to go to Las Vegas later this year. I got many suggestions over in the Class B forum on facebook for places to visit. I have narrowed it down to Grand Canyon Hoover Dam Zion NP and Bryce Canyon. Is this practical for 6-7 days( I am thinking of renting an RV in Vegas and doing the drive ) I realize this may be a little ambitious but I want to get my feet wet and see what RV'ing is really like
jad787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 01:22 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Hi Jad787, you will love it, the Hoover dam was only about 40 min. From Las Vegas, and the rest are easily doable in your 6 to 7 day holiday, lots of great things to see and do, I would highly reccomend buying the America the beautifull pass, its $80.00, for a year long pass into all the national parks,, you will save money already by just visiting the parks you mentioned, please let me know if you need help with your trip plans, it is a amazing part of the country,,,, take care,,,,
Old 10-28-2015, 01:30 AM   #6
Site Team

And, of course, if anyone in your party is 62 or older, he or she is eligible for the Senior Pass. $10 for lifetime. Free admission of your whole party to all Parks and many other federal properties. 50% off camping and more.
avanti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 03:08 AM   #7

peppster66 and avanti thanks for info, I had been online the other looking for prices and general information about the Parks. (Not 62 years old yet so I have to pay full price).
I called a company called campervan which has a branch in vegas (recommended by someone on facebook) they seem to be willing to work on pricing. If I can't rent an RV then I will have to do it by car and hotel. Stay tuned I may take you up on your offer of assistance lol!
Old 10-28-2015, 03:18 AM   #8
Platinum Member

Hey Jad,
You might want to check out JUCY rentals. We saw quite a few of these micro-RV rentals on our last trip out, and they might be an inexpensive option for RV rentals, although I wouldn't think for more than 2 people.
They are essentially a Chrysler/Fiat mini-van popup conversion, like a micro-Sportsmobile or a small Safari Condo. Or a VW Vanagon popup. You get the idea?
Here's a link to their website. I think they're based in Las Vegas.
Welcome to Jucy Rentals United States - RV and Campervan Hire
Which ever way you go, best of luck and enjoy the area. It is truly awesome.
Old 10-28-2015, 12:16 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Advanced RV has a rental fleet out of Southern California and Ohio. Warning. Renting one could spoil you.

Home - RV Rental By Advanced

Reservations - RV Rental By Advanced
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 12:23 PM   #10
Platinum Member

This is a Jucy rental i saw in Utah.

Another one I saw in Utah. A bit off the wall.

Old 10-28-2015, 01:20 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Saw a few of those Escape Campervans out there, too. Quite decorative and unusual exterior paint on some of them. Their pricing is in line with JUCY, at first glance. In addition to their do it yourself quote estimate pages on each website, I think both budget rental outfits give quotes over the phone/email, based on your requirements.
Campervan Rental USA - Escape Campervans

Had a look at the A-RV rental website. Renting one will certainly spoil your finances......
Old 10-28-2015, 01:24 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad787 View Post
(Not 62 years old yet so I have to pay full price).
OK, then, how about this:

As part of the White House's "Every Kind in the Park" program, any kid in the 4th grade gets a free pass for them and their family:

https://www.everykidinapark.gov
avanti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 02:39 AM   #13

The Jucy vans look interesting I will have to check them out. Anyone here know if the campgrounds are open in December at Zion/Bryce NP and the Grand Canyon? I would need a Bathroom and shower.
Old 10-29-2015, 02:52 AM   #14
Platinum Member

I believe Zion is open year round. The area nearer to Springdale will be warmer because it's desert terrain. Not sure about the showers situation at Zion, but I don't think any of the NPS campgrounds there have showers. You can usually find a commercial campground with showers somewhere nearby. Or ask at a commercial cg if they have a "shower rate" for walk ins.
Bryce is open all year round, but camping in the 2 NPS campgrounds is weather dependent. If it snows, they'll usually clear out as many campsites as are necessary for the demand. The North CG is usually the one that stays open in the snow, with the Sunset CG usually closed first when the weather turns cold. No guarantees, though. The showers are at the General Store, are pay per use, and I think they shut down once the temps regularly dip below freezing. That could already have happened. We were there 2 weeks ago and the showers were open, but it was unusually warm.
I think Grand Canyon South Rim has year round showers at the Mather Campground. We've been there in November and March and the showers were open.
Most of this is from memory, experience, and looking at the individual parks NPS websites. Very useful. Try them.
Old 10-31-2015, 04:43 PM   #15
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad787 View Post
The Jucy vans look interesting I will have to check them out. I would need a Bathroom and shower.
If you need a self-contained bath and shower, Jucy has none.

Here is a link to an article that pretty much tells it like it is for a family RV.

How We Slept in Our "Car" for Two Weeks

BTW: We own one, and we love it - after two trips in excess of three weeks each.
Old 10-31-2015, 09:01 PM   #16
Platinum Member

I used to call my last campervan with a Sportsmobile poptop a B minus but it had all sleeping, cooking and portapotti inside with the ability to stand up. I would have to categorize the Juicy as a B minus minus. Not putting them down just letting people know how far away from what most here consider a Class B.
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 10:06 PM   #17
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanw909 View Post
I used to call my last campervan with a Sportsmobile poptop a B minus but it had all sleeping, cooking and portapotti inside with the ability to stand up. I would have to categorize the Juicy as a B minus minus. Not putting them down just letting people know how far away from what most here consider a Class B.
No offense taken. I had the same thought. Take away size; take away amenities. That's the trade off, and we knew and accepted that going in. I view it as transportation with a convenient and comfortable place to sleep. That's all I ask. Don't need a microwave or oven.
Old 11-02-2015, 11:58 AM   #18
Platinum Member

I really think that is the greatest part of RV lifestyle, is that there are so many different types, sizes, brands, that there will be one that is the right fit for you and your family, For me when I was searching for my first RV , I had to think of storage and parking, good gas mileage was important to me, and still have full amenties from stove sink bathroom and a comfortable bed, l went to several RV shows, went inside and got a feel for each style and make. My original plan was to buy a volkswagen Westfalia, but no bathroom was a deal breaker for me, I then sreiously looked at a class C, but I would not be able to store it in my driveway, and when they average 8 to 10 miles per gallon, that was hard to take, when I really look forward to long style roadtrips. When I went to see this used Roadtrek, class B, I knew it had everthing that was important to us, I can store it in my driveway, good gas mileage, and full of amenities that we enjoy, So in the end, all of us have different needs and wants, and not to mention different budgets, because in the end , money will steer many of our choices, the RV you buy will hopefully bring you years of happiness and bring you to places and experiences that you wouldnt otherwise get to experience.So far for me, my class B is a perfect fit...........Take care,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Old 11-02-2015, 05:14 PM   #19
Platinum Member

Pepp, your plans and ours paralleled one another, and I suspect others', too.

My in-laws are longtime full-timers with a 35 foot class A. DW and I agreed we did not want that. As I approached retirement, we began to look around at shows. We liked the van-based Road Treks and Pleasure Ways, among others. And they generally represented investments we were unwilling to make, new or used. Spoke to some folks who were Westfalia aficionados, and considered one until I considered the initial cost, neverending upkeep and their power train shortcomings, even with the Subaru swap, etc. Then we met our first Jucy in California, and the light went on - except they were rentals and none were on the market for sale. I had thought about replicating one. Months later we stumbled across a Jucy for sale, and here we are. Yeah, it lacks certain amenities and is a bit garish, which has advantages, but the thing is functional as a Swiss army knife.

The minivan RV met/meets all our meager criteria, especially the ability to use as an uncomplicated, economical daily driver, seating five. And its price was substantially less than a well-used RT or PW. So far it has proven a happy purchase at all levels.

Now, I will admit some envy seeing some of the beautiful B rigs out there. DW is already talking of a replacement for Jucy. She has wants a larger unit can provide. And that's fine. I can see the day coming.

Until then, we'll just enjoy ourselves and our ability to get out to see the world...and meet all these interesting people in their class Bs.
Old 11-02-2015, 05:24 PM   #20
Platinum Member

A Jucy looks like a meld of a tear drop trailer with a minivan. That's not all bad.