Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-04-2021, 02:18 PM   #61
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wny-pat View Post
The only rear seating I've seen in a RV that I consider safe for transport was some of what I've seen in large diesel pusher conversions. The RV industry seems to think it is okay to mount a seat cushion on a particle board box and call that passenger seating. Throw a seat belt around it and say it meets code.
The tri-fold sofa/bed in our GWV Legend comprises an integral mechanism made of steel. It has substantial automatic solenoid-activated latches to secure it in place in both positions. It has two proper chassis-anchored seat belts and a center lap-belt.

I'm sure that it hasn't been crash-tested, but short of that it seems pretty reasonable for at least two.
avanti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 08:19 PM   #62
Silver Member

Some B's do have safe seating. Some B's have metal framed strong seats in the rear, with head restraints and 3 point belts, at least on the outer positions. The ride all the way in the back may not be tolerable, but they are relatively safe. The side facing seats are far less safe, and I believe Canada won't certify those seats for use while traveling. A few B's have automotive seating with 3 point belts in a forward facing front lounge configuration, and a few others have captain's chairs, 1 or 2, in the forward area as well. Most of them appear to be compliant, but not always, as was seen with some Roadtrek seats. The forward seats also experience a better ride, and can more easily establish conversations with those in the cab, too.
mtmdatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 12:53 AM   #63

Well, here’s video of the Thor Rize with the rear bath option in a Promaster 1500...

https://youtu.be/sKVt0oy-cac
GeeMoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 02:44 AM   #64
Platinum Member

It's basically the Carado Axion... with better cabinetry. (which is actually the same as my 2004 GWV, which was longer and had even better cabinetry)
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 08:19 PM   #65

Default Rize 17M with cassette toilet video

Was posted in the Thor Tellaro facebook group.

AliceRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 09:13 PM   #66

Quote:
The only rear seating I've seen in a RV that I consider safe for transport was some of what I've seen in large diesel pusher conversions. The RV industry seems to think it is okay to mount a seat cushion on a particle board box and call that passenger seating. Throw a seat belt around it and say it meets code.
I've seen pics of a dismountable seatbelted seat that mounts in front of the fridge behind the cab area, originally made for the Ford Transit, but it fits a Carado Axion, so it should fit in a Rize. The rails have to be permanently mounted in the floor and you'd have to take the seat out of the van to use it for anything but transport. There's a discussion of this option on the Carado Axion Facebook forum.
LeeThe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 09:19 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkin View Post
It's basically the Carado Axion... with better cabinetry. (which is actually the same as my 2004 GWV, which was longer and had even better cabinetry)
Honestly the cheap cabinetry is why we could afford to buy it. We paid $70K for our Axion new, and that was at the extreme high end of our budget. The Rize cabinets certainly look better but it wouldn't be in our driveway. The Rize did seem to go cheap in some other areas, though. A 1,000 W inverter seems marginal. Ours is 2,000W And does it have 200W solar panel like ours? Also a cassette toilet is great if you want a cassette toilet. The Axion is fully plumbed--though that did mean removing the Promaster 1500's spare tire. Does the rize have a spare tire? And a full length awning? That's something else we've valued.
LeeThe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 01:13 AM   #68

Just found out about this new van this evening. The 18M (Old Carado Axion Studio) is exactly the floorplan I've been hoping would return. Has anyone been able to confirm if the pop-top will be an available option on the 18M floorplan? The only pictures I've seen have been of the pop-top have been on the 18T floorplan. the pop-top option was available on the Carado Axion Studio. Good luck trying to find a used one with that option.

Very much in agreement about the lack of quality on Thor products. My justification is that because the buy-in is so low, I have no problem with it and will upgrade if/when things break. Honestly, Thor has a lock on the 18M floorplan market as none of the higher quality brands are making that floor plan.

Lastly, while I really like the Sequence 20K for the added space, for the way we'll use the van, I prefer the shorter chassis. Makes using it as a daily driver much easier to live with.
kltk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 09:59 PM   #69
Bronze Member

Quote:
Need to look some more. The rear seating in the Great West Legend is up to task. Folding steel couch with seat and shoulder belts bolted to the solid steel Mercedes body.
parkgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 04:49 PM   #70

One big difference I noticed from that video, the Rize seems to have a normal generator, while I think the Axion had an "underhood generator" (second alternator).

Regardless of Thor's marginal reputation on build quality, I'm excited about this model because it fills a niche that is empty. I wanted an Axion when they debuted but just needed a bit more time to work the finances out (and convince the wife) then EHGNA went oob and so went the Axion. I was looking for a used one but CoVid hit and all the used Axions sell for more than they were new!
blackseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 05:34 PM   #71
Bronze Member

The 18M sounds great. I wish Thor would post more information about it. I'd love to see an 18' Class B.
skiMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 05:47 PM   #72

Thor looks like they will have a rather long introduction video for the Scope/Rize that premieres about 6 hours from time of post.

blackseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 01:54 AM   #73
Platinum Member

Nice to see attention to openness and windows.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 07:19 PM   #74
Platinum Member

That plan without the wet bath, and with the porta pottie, are they serious that you have open the back door to get to it or get it out to use? So where do you put it for night time use? Most people get up at night at least once.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 08:44 PM   #75
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
That plan without the wet bath, and with the porta pottie, are they serious that you have open the back door to get to it or get it out to use? So where do you put it for night time use? Most people get up at night at least once.
I think they are serious. Our two Westfalia Campers didn’t have toilets built in; with young kids we had a porta potty. These camper vans are designed for young family, likely a very different use pattern than yours or mine today.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 01:22 AM   #76
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
I would assume that you sit it in the front over night... for those of us who need it. This wouldn't work at all for me... night or day. lol
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 05:07 PM   #77
Platinum Member

I’m glad to see more options in the short van space. We liked the Tofino but it didn’t meet our use cases. Our 2020 Tellaro 20AT has been a solid purchase for us, with most issues due to supplier components and not Thor build quality.
W9TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 09:45 PM   #78
Bronze Member

Default Thor Rize and Scope

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymtnb View Post
Thor's Rize and Scout 18T models don't appear to have any bathroom at all. Even a Porta_Potti is BYOT. They appear to be targeted at the daily driver campervan market similar to Pleasureway's Tofino. Of course Thor may be planning other floorplans of these models in the future.

Thor Rize/Scout 18T walk-thru begins at 12:20 in this General RV video:
https://youtu.be/C_wKV2j1aik?t=743
The models with the bathroom are both 18M. Hope this helps.
falfal3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 05:16 PM   #79
Platinum Member

Default Winnebago Solis 18ft

Winnebago has previewed their entry into the 18' Promaster market with a shorter Solis 36 that deletes the bathroom (and pop-top).

Interestingly they've raised the rear Murphy bed which should allow room for bike storage underneath with front wheels off. That would be a nice addition to the regular Solis too.
rockymtnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 05:34 PM   #80
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymtnb View Post
Winnebago has previewed their entry into the 18' Promaster market with a shorter Solis 36 that deletes the bathroom (and pop-top).

Interestingly they've raised the rear Murphy bed which should allow room for bike storage underneath with front wheels off. That would be a nice addition to the regular Solis too.
No bathroom? No thanks.
falfal3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
thor rize recvan