Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2021, 10:24 PM   #101
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich B View Post
Best I could get was 77k for 18m. Covid demand. For me, parking anywhere was key, some stealth, solo traveler, need possible remote work setup, craved the open layout up front, needed a wet bath. Nothing touches this right now new in 18' or less class b. Will consider trying another solar panel, upgrading inverter and batts after warranty period. Hoping for no quality issues. Thor doesn't have the best rep. For that. Also getting from La Mesa in next few weeks out of Florida.
Hey Rich, how's it going with your new 18M? Prices are still going up so you got a deal back then.

Any issues with
  • Awning
  • Water pump (not attached?)
  • Generator (clearance?)
  • Panels/doors/drawers (quality? opening while driving?)
  • Outlets
  • Weather stripping

Anything else broken or unexpected?

Thank you!
Urlauber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 02:47 PM   #102
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich B View Post
Best I could get was 77k for 18m. Covid demand. For me, parking anywhere was key, some stealth, solo traveler, need possible remote work setup, craved the open layout up front, needed a wet bath. Nothing touches this right now new in 18' or less class b. Will consider trying another solar panel, upgrading inverter and batts after warranty period. Hoping for no quality issues. Thor doesn't have the best rep. For that. Also getting from La Mesa in next few weeks out of Florida.
Supply is increasing, and demand has not, so you should be able to do a little bit better than $77K. I would contact them and tell them you are willing to travel to other dealers that are willing to sell for $75K, and tell them that is your final offer and for them to call you when they are ready to sell at that price. That’s exactly what I did when I bought my 20K. The first phone call I made was my offer of $83K. They called me five times over the next two weeks trying to haggle with me for a higher price, and I would not budge. Finally, they took my offer, took my deposit, and I paid exactly the price I had offered them weeks before. I’m so dumb though, because I registered it in California where taxes, title, and registration are ridiculous, lol. But, I’m glad I stuck to my guns because this 2022 model with what will be 13,000 Miles by the time I get back to California from this trip, I can now sell if I chose to, for what I paid for it. Prices have indeed gone up since Covid, and buyers are not willing to wait, or haggle, so they are paying more. don’t pay more, lol. For reference, the dealer I purchased from would not except anything lower than $93K, which then turned into $90K, and then over the next 4 calls from them came down to $83K. All I had to do was sit and wait two weeks for them to cave in to my offer . I just had to be patient.
Rec Van in California offered me the Rize for $73K, just FYI. And even though I did not purchase from them, I will give them props for being extremely nice, polite, professional, and about as honest as you can get for being glorified car salesman . Also, be aware that Rec Van is an arm of La Mesa RV. They created Rec Van just for Class B units, attempting to separate themselves from the poor La Mess RV reputation. But they are indeed La Mesa RV. But again, the folks over at Rec Van are super nice. For some, that is what is going to earn them their business. Being nice goes a long way .
OK, one other thing… I have had my quality issues with my unit, no more than the average new unit. Actually, I’ve probably had fewer things go wrong or not be correct upon purchase with this unit than the average new owner experiences. And we all know 99.9% of new RVs have at least a few issues. So I will say, I have had a different experience with Thor, in that they respond very quickly, with full intentions of resolving any issues. I’m on the road right now and they are finding an authorized repair shop or mobile RV repair to do a quick repair while I’m on the road, which I think is pretty damn good customer service. When you get your van, make a list of the initial issues after your shakedown trip, and then make sure to get in touch with Thor and find one single support rep to be your person and help you until issues are resolved. That’s the best advice I can give.

Good luck and very happy camping!
VocalVirgo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
thor rize recvan