Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2021, 11:56 PM   #1

Question Thor Rize class B

I live in the SF Bay area and a place call Rec Van is heavily advertising on TV. Since COVID, thought we should get a RV and travel (like everyone else). So we went to visit in person and saw a very small 17.5' van made by Thor called the Rize that will soon have a bathroom in the back. I tried to find out more about this Rize and the salesperson said it's exclusive to the Rec Van (I think it's part of La Mesa RV). So anyone else have any info. We are graduating from tent camping so luxury isn't a necessity but I want a toilet and my husband a shower but that's really about it. Would like it small because it will be our 2nd drive around vehicle and we live in the suburbs of SF but parking is still an issue.
AliceRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 12:32 AM   #2
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceRV View Post
I live in the SF Bay area and a place call Rec Van is heavily advertising on TV. Since COVID, thought we should get a RV and travel (like everyone else). So we went to visit in person and saw a very small 17.5' van made by Thor called the Rize that will soon have a bathroom in the back. I tried to find out more about this Rize and the salesperson said it's exclusive to the Rec Van (I think it's part of La Mesa RV). So anyone else have any info. We are graduating from tent camping so luxury isn't a necessity but I want a toilet and my husband a shower but that's really about it. Would like it small because it will be our 2nd drive around vehicle and we live in the suburbs of SF but parking is still an issue.
"Rize", a Thor trademark I think.

If you are really serious about "We are graduating from tent camping so luxury isn't a necessity but I want a toilet and my husband a shower but that's really about it." you could create that and more for not many dollars. But I'll bet that you will want and spend more. Might lose the bet though.

Bud
Bud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 03:55 AM   #3
Platinum Member

There seems to be nothing on the net as yet. The Thor websites have only the Sequence and Tellaro which are both near 21 feet. I checked this dealer's website and they don't have it on their website either.

The only model that I know of that is 17'9" is the Pleasureway Tofino, which has a pop top, but no bathroom.

If it's so exclusive to that dealer, I would suggest that you go back and get him to show it to you. We would be curious to see photos. I highly doubt that Thor is making any model that is "exclusive" to one obscure CA dealer. And I am pretty sure that they have nothing to do with La Mesa. (not mentioned in either their website info or La Mesa's locations on their website) This makes me a bit leery of this dealer's honesty.

Go look at all the different van campers. Of course, dealer lots are very empty right now, so it is hard to even find some to look at.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 06:15 PM   #4
Silver Member

This could be a copy of the recent Carado Axion. It was built on the shortest Promaster chassis, yet due to clever packaging had a rear bath, generous counter space, and sleeping for two (though tight for two). It is even better as a van for one camper, but seems to have decent storage, and is under 18 feet long! The biggest issue was poor build quality, and also the sketchy electronics from Roadtrek. The brand disappeared when Roadtrek went bankrupt, but the design was really clever, I thought.
mtmdatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 05:04 AM   #5

Default Thor has trademarked "Rize"

And that's all I found. It's $75K. Also the current Rize model looks a lot like the Tofino. I guess we'll will wait.
Old 03-02-2021, 12:52 PM   #6
Gold Member

Default Also Thor Scope

About a month ago someone on the FB Sequence/Tellaro page posted photos taken at a General RV dealership of a couple of Thor Scope models on the Promaster 1500. It supports a pop top and seems to have a cassette toilet on the driver side forward of the rear wheel. One of the rigs posted was sans pop top and looked to have a fan and roof air conditioner while the other just had a roof hatch at the front of the pop top.

"Scope" and "Rize" trademarks were both registered by Thor last year, along with "Tranquility" and "Sanctuary" in the Class B category.
Old 03-02-2021, 03:43 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmdatlanta View Post
This could be a copy of the recent Carado Axion. It was built on the shortest Promaster chassis, yet due to clever packaging had a rear bath, generous counter space, and sleeping for two (though tight for two). It is even better as a van for one camper, but seems to have decent storage, and is under 18 feet long! The biggest issue was poor build quality, and also the sketchy electronics from Roadtrek. The brand disappeared when Roadtrek went bankrupt, but the design was really clever, I thought.
Certainly a possibility since it was a Hymer model, not Roadtrek. I looked at the Carado with the idea of switching it over to an AGM system. But the cabinetry was soooo cheap looking... and I would have wanted to strip and redesign the whole galley side.

BTW, there is an even shorter Ram Promaster... the 1500 with 118" wheelbase. It is 16'3." I actually have one on order to be converted. It will be shorter than my old Toyota Sienna. lol
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
Old 03-02-2021, 06:12 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInWoods View Post
...registered by Thor last year, along with "Tranquility" and "Sanctuary" in the Class B category.
Sanctuary is built on the shorter Sprinter 144 chassis and appears targeted at the Winnebago Revel market with 4wd, cassette toilet, and all-terrain wheels and tires. In place of the Revel's dinette seat it features a full height cabinet behind the driver with microwave and tall fridge. Heating and hot water is the propane Truma Combi instead of the Revel's diesel fired Timberline system.

Thor usually markets an identical (or near identical) twin model for the same RV with a different name, to provide dealer model exclusives for urban markets. Presumably the Sanctuary/Tranquility and Scope/Rize are such marketing twins.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sanctuary_small.jpg (275.0 KB, 42 views)
rockymtnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 08:56 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkin View Post
Certainly a possibility since it was a Hymer model, not Roadtrek. I looked at the Carado with the idea of switching it over to an AGM system. But the cabinetry was soooo cheap looking... and I would have wanted to strip and redesign the whole galley side.

BTW, there is an even shorter Ram Promaster... the 1500 with 118" wheelbase. It is 16'3." I actually have one on order to be converted. It will be shorter than my old Toyota Sienna. lol
Longer than VW T3 Westfalia at 15'.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 06:03 AM   #10

Default thanks for all the info

The dealer said they won't have a Rize model to look at for quite a while.
Old 03-03-2021, 02:55 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
Longer than VW T3 Westfalia at 15'.
Been a couple years since one could buy a new one of those. lol

There is the City, of course, but I wanted a van I could stand up in...

Quote:
The dealer said they won't have a Rize model to look at for quite a while.
Thanks... since there was nothing to see online about it, that is what I figured.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
Old 03-03-2021, 08:16 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
Been a couple years since one could buy a new one of those. lol

A little more than a couple, but memories are is vivid as it was just weeks ago.
Old 03-03-2021, 08:29 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote:
There is the City, of course, but I wanted a van I could stand up in...
To get stand-up height in the Promaster 118 will you get a pop-top installed? I thought the 118 only came in the short height roof.
rockymtnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 03:35 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymtnb View Post
To get stand-up height in the Promaster 118 will you get a pop-top installed? I thought the 118 only came in the short height roof.
It does only come in the short roof, but I'm short too. Actually the interior height from the factory is 5'6" and with the basic flooring and ceiling added, it will be 5'4" which happens to be exactly how tall I am. Yes... cutting it close, but I also figure that I am reaching the age of shrinkage. Actually a tiny bit of stooping is fine by me... rather like how the 6'4" guys deal with the standard high top heights.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
Old 03-04-2021, 03:55 PM   #15
Silver Member

My tech person tells me that Thor's products are poorly built. You would be better off, in my opinion, looking for an Axion or a Banff, which, despite Hymer NA's problems and demise, are better constructed than a Thor. Hymer's European products are also supposed to be better quality, but they now belong to Thor, too.
stevegoldfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 06:30 PM   #16
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmdatlanta View Post
RoadTrek was purchased by Hymer, and Hymer went under pretty fast. So, RoadTrek went with it. But, T=the brand has recently resurfaced. Hymer however is gone, thank goodness. Their Carado, Sunlight, Banff, and Axion had the worst build quality. BTW, the Axion was not on the shortest 118" WB, it was on the 136".
VocalVirgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 06:33 PM   #17
Gold Member

I just called Thor. No one knew anything about having a deal with La Mesa RV, lol. Then I called La Mesa RV and they said they have many exclusive deals with several manufacturers. That's all they would say. I find it hard to believe Thor would build a van for 1 dealership. I know they, and other companies build exclusively for Camping World, but they are a network of dealerships.
VocalVirgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 07:03 PM   #18
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VocalVirgo View Post
RoadTrek was purchased by Hymer, and Hymer went under pretty fast. So, RoadTrek went with it. But, T=the brand has recently resurfaced. Hymer however is gone, thank goodness. Their Carado, Sunlight, Banff, and Axion had the worst build quality. BTW, the Axion was not on the shortest 118" WB, it was on the 136".
Hymer didn’t go under, Hymer North America / Roadtrek division went under thanks to Roadtrek management and lack of overview by Hymer. Hymer EU was sold to Thor with exception of Hymer North America / Roadtrek. Hymer North America / Roadtrek remains were purchased by French Rapido which owns Westfalia.

https://rvlifestyle.com/roadtrek-hymer-scandal/
Old 03-04-2021, 08:21 PM   #19
Silver Member

A great gal from La Mesa RV in San Diego is now a salesperson at Rec Van, Melissa Bertell and she has told me about their dealership, sounds amazing.

We bought a 2021 Solis Winnebago in November. Its 19'9" and is our second vehicle and driven most days. We love everything about it! We have the pop top however they are in production for the non pop tops as well. Our van seats and sleeps 4 people. The bathroom is easy for my husband a 6'1" to shower and we love the cassette toilet. We have a great Facebook group of Winnebago Wannabees and Owners you should come check us out. Lot's of encouragement, modifications and positive folks.

We had a Toyota Tundra with a cab over camper and sold it to buy the Solis. Check it out I think you will like it and tell Melissa at Rec Van I told you about the Solis.

Best of everything in your search!
pacificstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 01:21 AM   #20

Default Thanks for the encouragement

Solis was what we are interested in but then we found even a shorter van. There will probably be only 2 of us, our 20 something kids probably won't join us. But I am glad you are driving the Solis daily, we plan to use it as a 2nd car.

Tags
thor rize recvan