Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-13-2019, 07:33 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Thor Sunlight ?

Interesting to see a Sunlight branding on the B Van on this page at Thor:

https://www.thorindustries.com/rv-ty...orhome-class-b

Thor Sunlight.JPG
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 07:44 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Interesting that the show Erwin Hymer under the Thor brands and then Sunlight as a brand under that with a "history" to 2004. It appears the NA Sunlight must have been using the Sunlight Hymer trade mark or something like that so Thor still owns the name. Sunlight had various products with the Sunlight name on them, so not just a particular model, it looked like.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 07:55 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Yes, I believe that's a Sunlight Cliff 600 (or 601) model from Hymer's original European entry level Sunlight brand. I assume (or hope) those were better quality than the EHGNA Sunlight units that Jim Hammill's crew tried to foist off on us North Americans.

Now that Thor owns all the remaining EHG assets they'll apparently be rebranding under Thor Industries.
rockymtnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 10:27 PM   #4
Platinum Member

If you follow that link above to the "Thor Brands" page, you will find Erwin Hymer Group, click on that and you will find: Sunlight, Carado, Hymer (and the other EHG brands in Europe). All names from Europe that EHG was building in Canada.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 05:27 PM   #5
Silver Member

Default Sunlight by Erwin Hymer Sold at Camping World

I've seen "Sunlight by Erwin Hymer" brand at Camping World for a couple of years now.

Ray B.
PW Plateau
Ormond-by-the-Sea, FL
Ray B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 06:52 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray B View Post
I've seen "Sunlight by Erwin Hymer" brand at Camping World for a couple of years now.

Ray B.
Just to be clear those Camping World Sunlight vans are COMPLETELY different than the European Hymer Sunlight Cliff 600 series units pictured on the Thor website.

The Camping World Sunlight units were the result of the unholy (and now bankrupt) alliance of Roadtrek/Erwin Hymer Group North America in Canada. They were designed to be built in four hours; and presumably fall apart in x? hours...

Hymer's original German Sunlight division produced those Cliff 600 units pictured on the Thor site. According to Practical Motorhome's review of the Cliff 601 it's a 'hugely impressive' van, other than a somewhat cramped bathroom, and won their Best Budget Motorhome category for 2018 with a selling price just under 40k GBP (about $52k US).

Oh, we are so lucky here in North America... /s
rockymtnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 07:02 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymtnb View Post
Just to be clear those Camping World Sunlight vans are COMPLETELY different than the European Hymer Sunlight Cliff 600 series units pictured on the Thor website.

The Camping World Sunlight units were the result of the unholy (and now bankrupt) alliance of Roadtrek/Erwin Hymer Group North America in Canada. They were designed to be built in four hours; and presumably fall apart in x? hours...

Hymer's original German Sunlight division produced those Cliff 600 units pictured on the Thor site. According to Practical Motorhome's review of the Cliff 601 it's a 'hugely impressive' van, other than a somewhat cramped bathroom, and won their Best Budget Motorhome category for 2018.

Oh, we are so lucky here in North America... /s
"Sunlight" as used in Europe describes a whole family of Hymer RVs. We rented a 2013 Sunlight T64 (a small C), built on a Fiat Ducato diesel chassis for our Iceland Ring Road adventure. It was truly great.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 12:12 AM   #8
Gold Member

From the RVX event they're announcing the new Thor Sequence, a Promaster B Van with a layout similar to a Winnebago 59K.

https://newatlas.com/thor-sequence-c...concept/58960/
tmshih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 12:31 AM   #9

I have come to the conclusion that I will probably build out my own. Everything is out of my price range now.
blueridgetraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 01:48 PM   #10
Gold Member

Consider purchasing a used B-Van and renovating it. Check out the videos from Xplorer Steve who paid around $20K for his Xplorer Van and posted a bunch of videos of his restoration process.

tmshih is offline   Reply With Quote