Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-08-2020, 06:26 PM   #1

Default Thule Access and a cargo carrier

Hi all,
Wondering if anyone has bought and used the Thule Access ( swing away bracket ) and a cargo basket on their 1999 Roadtrek 190. If so was there any problems and how did the bracket perform. Thanks in advance.
Cheers, Mike.
copemanphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 07:12 PM   #2
Platinum Member

I toyed with using a swing away hitch bracket and a metal storage box. I probably would have used something like the links below instead of one designed for bike racks. It should work fine if it swings out far enough so you can still open the back doors. You would also have to make sure it didn't block the rear lights and the license plate.

https://wmastore.com/product/swing-a...rier-amcc5020/

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...uck-tool-boxes

In the end though I just spent the money and got an Aluminess rear bumper and a couple of their storage boxes. You get what you pay for and this still allows me to use my hitch. I am not sure how we would even manage without this extra storage space (for tools, our grill, lawn chairs, etc. etc. etc.).
jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 02:02 AM   #3

Thanks for the links and the help. Once I decide I will post a note and a photo or 2.
Cheers, Mike.
Old 02-12-2020, 04:45 PM   #4
Bronze Member

Hi, bunch of thanks for the attached link it's can give us wide range of inf.

https://wmastore.com/product/swing-a...rier-amcc5020/

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...uck-tool-boxes
Jill Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 04:12 PM   #5
Gold Member

Just remember any weight put out the back like that puts more force on the back wheels and can lighten the load on the front potentially causing steering issues. Also the further out you go finished the amount of weight (tongue weight) your hitch can safely carry
Brad1998RD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 06:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad1998RD View Post
Just remember any weight put out the back like that puts more force on the back wheels and can lighten the load on the front potentially causing steering issues. Also the further out you go finished the amount of weight (tongue weight) your hitch can safely carry
Thanks Brad, great points.I will be carrying 2 folding bikes, a small BBQ and 2 folding chairs so my total weight off the back on the carrier will be around 100 pounds plus the weight of the basket of 65 pounds, so well below the max tongue weight of 500 pounds.
Old 02-17-2020, 03:18 PM   #7
Platinum Member

I would really check to see how far it will swing versus your rear doors. A link in one of the posts claims a 600 lb swing away capacity and that you can swing it out of your way 360 degrees.

Realistically it will swing perhaps in the neighborhood of 90 degrees, depending on the pivot point position inside, at or beyond the end of the rear bumper. Depending on how far it actually swings with a cargo box or other items on the platform will let you know how much if any interference there will be with the max swing you can now achieve with the rear doors.

As for the 600 lb claim. Hmm. Maybe when the thing is not swung out and is latched. I haven't seen how it is constructed but heavier duty models utilizing spindle-type hinges spec about half that weight when latched. Any weight extended out as the carrier arm pivots outward lowers the realistic weight capability quickly, depending on the mount, pivot "hinge" and the pivoting arm construction.

I think I just read your estimating about 100 pounds so even a Harbor Freight version if they have one, should handle that. This is one of those things that might require some good research before you buy. Makes a case for brick and mortar store shopping versus buying off the Internet. Hopefully you have found good information and what you buy works out well for you. Oh, and for some other potential buyers with Class B motorhomes, if you have rear facing waste system gate valves or things like auxiliary propane ports, etc, some of the swing hitch systems will partially or completely block those.
Storysrvwego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 03:35 PM   #8
Bud
Platinum Member

"As for the 600 lb claim. Hmm. Maybe when the thing is not swung out and is latched."

I spoke with them, only NOT swung. You can't swing even parked with anything more than a Stowaway.
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 11:42 PM   #9

We purchased a Wilco swing hitch and later a thule cargo box. You can put anything that a with 2” hitch receiver.
Darrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 04:17 PM   #10
Silver Member

I've thought about mounting a box in front to carry inflatable kayak, etc. Not a lot of weight just bulk. Bikes are in back on a swing a-way rack I've had for years.

I was thinking of two receivers with long sliding 'L' shaped posts that could be pulled out for box and slid in when not using box, like nerf bars. Has anyone tried a front mounted box?
Asphalt Addict is offline   Reply With Quote