Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2022, 05:04 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Timberline Gasoline Combo Heater

Thor's Jayco and Entegra divisions have released new propane-free lithium battery models of their Promaster based Ethos and Swift vans for 2022. Both models use Elwell's Timberline gasoline-fired combination hydronic heating and hot water system. To the best of my knowledge this represents the first widespread deployment of the gasoline-fired Timberline system.

Elwell's diesel-fired Timberline system found quick success in the higher end Class B market, having replaced Winnebago's original Espar/Rixen system in 2020 and later Revel 4wd vans. Since then it's also become standard on Airstream 24X, Jayco Terrain, Entegra Launch, and Tiffen Cahaba sprinter 4wd Class B's.

Winnebago switched their Travato 59GL and 59KL models to induction cooktops for 2022 but continued to use propane for furnace and water heating. It will be interesting to see if they also switch to Timberline's gasoline heater to eliminate propane in upcoming releases.
rockymtnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 08:34 PM   #2
Site Team

Hmm.
What do you think are the advantages and disadvantages over the Rixen's/Espar? I am inclined to stick with the devil I know, but am certainly openminded.
avanti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 11:07 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
Hmm.
What do you think are the advantages and disadvantages over the Rixen's/Espar? I am inclined to stick with the devil I know, but am certainly openminded.
I would also stay with German product; with the current global political situation you could, hopefully not, but could have problems with replacment parts. Timberline is using Russian product sold under names of Planar or Binar or Autoterm in Europe, all are manufactured by LLC ADVERS in Samara, Russia. www.advers.ru
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 07:00 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Elwell is targeting the Timberline towards OEM volume RV manufacturers, so sticking with Espar/Rixen for DIY and custom projects seems wise. It would be hard to beat the individual support provided by Jim Rixen.

RV manufacturers are particularly sensitive to supply chain issues these days so it will be interesting to see how Elwell handles the Russian sourced Binar B5 boiler. Perhaps Advers LLC will need to move some manufacturing to their Latvian based service and distribution center to supply Europe and North American customers.
rockymtnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 07:12 PM   #5
Platinum Member

You definitely need access to the maintenance parts for these heaters. The Espar fuel filters and atomizer screens are readily available including on Amazon and Esparparts.com. I wouldn't want to own one of these heaters without parts access or if I was forced to search for and pay someone to do the simple routine maintenance.
jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 07:39 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrobe View Post
You definitely need access to the maintenance parts for these heaters. The Espar fuel filters and atomizer screens are readily available including on Amazon and Esparparts.com. I wouldn't want to own one of these heaters without parts access or if I was forced to search for and pay someone to do the simple routine maintenance.
Advers just invested in 2021 in Samara region – “… a new production site was opened and production began in Novokuibyshevsk with new, high-tech equipment.”, could be difficult to justify a new assembly line or to share production know how with “adversaries”
Old 04-01-2022, 07:48 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymtnb View Post
Elwell is targeting the Timberline towards OEM volume RV manufacturers, so sticking with Espar/Rixen for DIY and custom projects seems wise. It would be hard to beat the individual support provided by Jim Rixen.

RV manufacturers are particularly sensitive to supply chain issues these days so it will be interesting to see how Elwell handles the Russian sourced Binar B5 boiler. Perhaps Advers LLC will need to move some manufacturing to their Latvian based service and distribution center to supply Europe and North American customers.
Advers just invested in 2021 in Samara region – “… a new production site was opened and production began in Novokuibyshevsk with new, high-tech equipment.”, could be difficult to justify a new assembly line or to share production know how to Latvia or another EU location.