Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2017, 12:03 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Tips? - First trip with fam

About to embark on my first road trip with the fam. Since I am new to this, I was wondering if you guys had any tips I should consider?
Like:
Meals for a week - fridge won't hold that much so I am thinking we have to take an extra cooler. Separate box for dry foods.

We will be plugged in a different RV sites through out the trip and plan on using their showers and toilets, but should I carry a little water while traveling to use the restroom?

Just wondering about different things to consider.

Thanks,
Mark
saenzm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 02:45 PM   #2
BBQ
Platinum Member

#1 Rule (esp for families) -- use the Loo for #1 only.

Save the important stuff for McD or wherever.

BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 02:46 PM   #3
BBQ
Platinum Member

If you are within 1 hour of civilization,
you don't have to stock up too much on food.
Maybe 2 days' worth max.

Save the space for drinks.

BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 03:32 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post

#1 Rule (esp for families) -- use the Loo for #1 only.

Save the important stuff for McD or wherever.
I couldn't disagree more. Use all the technology at your disposal to keep everybody happy. That is what it is for. At least in our case, the proposed "Rule #1" would be death to family harmony.

And, if people prefer the on-board shower to those..."other" facilities, they should be praised for their personal hygiene and totally supported.
avanti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 04:11 PM   #5
Platinum Member

good mechanical condition?- tires!

smoke/co/lp gas detectors?

do not overpack...space is tight -agree how many days before laundry
carry water- after dinner do dishes right away and store everything

figure out menus in advance- we have found that pasta dishes are super easy.
I am a coffee snob and we have a perc- but instant coffee is pretty good and the clean up and time is easier.
If someone is in the galley- everybody else out!- space is tight.
we carry a cassette feu- a $20 single burner that takes butane tanks- allows cooking our doors and keeps odors and moisture out

test the power at campground before plugging in- I have never found an error- but I have heard stories.
you can buy a tester cheap or a meter - harbor freight has free

we don;t put solids in the toilet- paper goes in the trash.

I wear flip flops in the showers

clean freshwater tank ( I use pool shock- look online) carry enough water for flushing etc.
be SURE you are going to have a water supply where you are going.
we also carry a couple of 1 gal jugs in the van with us with known good water.
our water tanks get over 100º this time of year.

campgrounds- look for those which cater to vacationers- not those who are "home" to people

we are you going?

we had one good night at mustang state park at padre- but the national seashore was nicer ( no power though) & $8 a night

figure out where you are going to dump- not all camps have then and there are sometimes free public facilities ( TX mm415 rest stop on I-10 for one)- OR state parks you don;t have to camp to dump

mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 06:36 PM   #6
Platinum Member

I just took my 2nd trip on my 2000 Roadtrek this Memorial day weekend. Cooper Lake, Sulphur Springs, Texas. I still consider myself in the "shakedown" phase of the rig.

There is only my wife and myself, we are in our 60-s
We poo in the loo
We shower at shower
I cook mainly outdoors on a tiny coleman Fold N Go grill
Brought some DVD movies, had 1 1/2 days of rain! (no TV reception)
Unsure about the small fridge reliability, we put food in a small cooler, and bottled water in the fridge for now.
Pack light. 1 pair of shoes each. I change clothes daily EXCEPT for my cargo shorts (which I wear for about 3 days unless they get soiled)
I travel with about 10 gallons of fresh water maximum.
coach has a co detector and a propane detector, but I purchased another co detector for safety.
gklugie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 07:00 PM   #7
Platinum Member

"SHOWER AT THE SHOWER" means at a bath house, NOT inside the rig.
Old 05-31-2017, 07:41 PM   #8
Platinum Member

when using the burners, open the roof vent and the window by the cooker- afterwards close the window if your fridge vent is under like mine is- other wise you draw heat into the van

for comfort at night open windows by the bed and the roof vent- close other windows- that'll keep air moving by you
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 04:32 AM   #9
Platinum Member

All great tips. Thank you!
Old 06-01-2017, 12:48 PM   #10
Platinum Member

How many in your family?
Old 06-01-2017, 01:31 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gklugie View Post
How many in your family?
2 bigs and 2 littles.
Old 06-01-2017, 02:45 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Holy Cow. Take a small tent. Little ones can tent camp..... these vans get cramped very quickly.
Old 06-01-2017, 06:49 PM   #13

Now in my 4th season with a family of 4 in a B, the one thing I've not seen mentioned in this thread is packing cubes for clothes.

A must for 4 people in the cramped Van space... That is best thing I've found to make it easier for us, but far.

Everyone gets their own. Keeps things organized. You can shove them anywhere and your clothes are still togethers and organized (ours get piled in the large (by B van standards) closet in the rear bathroom of our unit. Along with coats/rain gear/swimsuits/whatnot).

Took me a bit to convince my wife it was the way to go, but now we use them anytime we travel, in the B Van or not.

The other thing that has proven of use is the "shoe bin". Footwear for 4 takes up loads of space, and it gets in the way a lot. We have a smallish collapsable hamper that all of the shoes/boots go in while we're camping. Its kept between the passenger/driver seats while we're camping, as the passenger seat is turned 180 and faces the back of the van; Its the staging area for shoes/boots on/off when people are coming and going.

We use the toilet for "all services", but if we have other options we will avail ourselves of those but not to the extreme. We very rarely shower inside. We all sleep in the van. Our spec 30 Gal Fresh/10 Gal black/20 gal grey last us 3 days, being careful. So with us, thats my max duration before a dump/refill.

Good luck, its tricky at first but with practice it works, and despite the fact the van is steadily shrinking (or is it the kids are growing?) we're still sticking with the B.
Turbowhiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 02:08 AM   #14
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbowhiz View Post
Now in my 4th season with a family of 4 in a B, the one thing I've not seen mentioned in this thread is packing cubes for clothes.

A must for 4 people in the cramped Van space... That is best thing I've found to make it easier for us, but far.

Everyone gets their own. Keeps things organized. You can shove them anywhere and your clothes are still togethers and organized (ours get piled in the large (by B van standards) closet in the rear bathroom of our unit. Along with coats/rain gear/swimsuits/whatnot).

Took me a bit to convince my wife it was the way to go, but now we use them anytime we travel, in the B Van or not.

The other thing that has proven of use is the "shoe bin". Footwear for 4 takes up loads of space, and it gets in the way a lot. We have a smallish collapsable hamper that all of the shoes/boots go in while we're camping. Its kept between the passenger/driver seats while we're camping, as the passenger seat is turned 180 and faces the back of the van; Its the staging area for shoes/boots on/off when people are coming and going.

We use the toilet for "all services", but if we have other options we will avail ourselves of those but not to the extreme. We very rarely shower inside. We all sleep in the van. Our spec 30 Gal Fresh/10 Gal black/20 gal grey last us 3 days, being careful. So with us, thats my max duration before a dump/refill.

Good luck, its tricky at first but with practice it works, and despite the fact the van is steadily shrinking (or is it the kids are growing?) we're still sticking with the B.

I totally FEEL this post. I bought 4 duffels for everyone to use, similar concept to the bins. I like your shoe idea. My van has full-Queen in the back with two twin beds up front...ideal for my situation. I think we have it all figured out. Going on a 1 week trip...so I am sure we will learn many lessons.

Will likely use the loo for #1 only.

Looking good so far...but we haven't left yet...LOL!!!!