Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2020, 02:10 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Tire installer recommendations

Have a MB Sprinter 3500 with dual rear wheels.
Should I go to a dedicated truck tire store or is a regular tire store good to go.
Somewhat worried a regular tire store will do the job right.
paddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 02:59 PM   #2
Platinum Member

I've got great service from Discount Tire, a regular tire store, with nationwide stores and top of the line Michelin tires. They also provide followup services like periodic free tire pressure checks and tread inspections. I've never got an out of balance tire from them. I haven't taken advantage of their tire rotation because I never had the need according to them or the Mercedes Benz dealer in their inspections.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 03:07 PM   #3
Site Team

I'm a Discount Tire fan as well. Of course, there is always the chance of stumbling onto a bad local franchise, but in general they are a very well-run chain.
avanti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 04:09 PM   #4
Platinum Member

I'm not sure what a dedicated truck tire store is. If that is for semi's and commercial vehicles I would probably not go there. I have bought three Sprinter RVs. There was once a time where Mercedes Benz dealers were not capable of servicing them in my area and I had to go to a Freightliner shop (my first Sprinter was badged as a Freightliner). Their attitude was treating RV owner's like an annoying step child and I didn't get great service in my estimation. For instance, they were suppose to check all fluid levels yet never topped off the windshield washer fluid and once less than 100 miles my DEF light came on and I had to add. I checked my receipt. It said they topped it off. So, I wondered then what else they didn't do. After that I drove 100 miles to an MB dealer in Rochester, MN, the first MB dealer in Minnesota to provide services for Sprinters. Now I have one much closer to home.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 05:17 PM   #5
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
I'm not sure what a dedicated truck tire store is. If that is for semi's and commercial vehicles I would probably not go there. I have bought three Sprinter RVs. There was once a time where Mercedes Benz dealers were not capable of servicing them in my area and I had to go to a Freightliner shop (my first Sprinter was badged as a Freightliner). Their attitude was treating RV owner's like an annoying step child and I didn't get great service in my estimation. For instance, they were suppose to check all fluid levels yet never topped off the windshield washer fluid and once less than 100 miles my DEF light came on and I had to add. I checked my receipt. It said they topped it off. So, I wondered then what else they didn't do. After that I drove 100 miles to an MB dealer in Rochester, MN, the first MB dealer in Minnesota to provide services for Sprinters. Now I have one much closer to home.
Yes was talking about a commercial/semi tire dealer.
Thought a regular tire store wouldn't do the job correctly.
I have had problems with my car not having the lug nuts torqued to specifications at regular tire stores.
Happy you had good service at Discount.
I will try them on your recommendation.

Thanks for the reply.

Patrick
Old 03-19-2020, 06:12 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddy View Post
Yes was talking about a commercial/semi tire dealer.
Thought a regular tire store wouldn't do the job correctly.
I have had problems with my car not having the lug nuts torqued to specifications at regular tire stores.
Happy you had good service at Discount.
I will try them on your recommendation.

Thanks for the reply.

Patrick
I have also had excellent service at our local Discount, and they always appear to use proper torqueing technique.

On a recent rotation visit they informed me one of the studs was cross-threaded. I told them that no one had touched the nuts except them (which was true). Without hesitation they sent me to a nearby shop to have the stud replaced... and they paid for it. They fixed a flat on my wife's new car at no charge, even though they had not sold the tires. They match any other quote for the same tires, and they have always converted manufacturers' Visa rebates to an instant rebate when requested. They immediately offered a 25% discount when I found out the trailer tires they were installing were over a year old.

Downside is they're pretty busy, but still faster than Costco.
Old 03-19-2020, 11:23 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Yes, Discount Tire has been amazing for me. They rotate my tires free, and replaced a faulty valve stem, all on tires I did not buy there. So I will give them my business.

One minor downside was they did not inflate the tires properly when rotated. So check your tires before you leave the lot.
peteco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 11:09 AM   #8
Platinum Member

Depending on what wheels are on your Sprinter, MB has required equipment for balancing. See attached.

They require Road Force balancing of 25 lbs or less for optimum ride.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Equipment_Release_September_17_2018 (1).pdf (107.6 KB, 20 views)
Old 03-20-2020, 11:21 AM   #9
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUTCH in Atlanta View Post
Depending on what wheels are on your Sprinter, MB has required equipment for balancing. See attached.

They require Road Force balancing of 25 lbs or less for optimum ride.
Thanks for the information.
My local MB dealer will not service my Sprinter class C because of the size.
They sent me to a MB authorized truck repair facility for service.
I have reached out to see if the truck repair facility can service tires.

Will see what their recommendation is.

Will inform the tire dealer selected of the "Road Force balancing requirement.

Thank you for your help,

Patrick
Old 03-20-2020, 02:16 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Our local Freightliner dealer in Wisconsin doesn't do tires but they have a relationship with a good local tire shop. They even arranged a good price for me on Michelin tires at that shop although we bought our Sprinter from that Freightliner dealer.

If you have a fairly close Freightliner dealer, I would first call them for suggestions. Freightliner has been great to us.
jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 07:39 PM   #11
Bronze Member

100% Discount / America Tire stores are the best. They are not only the best in their industry but the best customer service of any industry.
Old 03-26-2020, 03:55 PM   #12

Default Les Schwab?

Does anyone have a positive experience with Les Schwab? We are going to need new all around tires our 2015 Winn View, on the Sprinter 3500, sometime this year. I've looked at various locations as we've driven by, but wasn't sure they have bays tall enough for our rig.
Pacifica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 03:55 PM   #13

Discount/America's Tire is qualified to install dual rear tires and their service is always great. No need to go to a truck tire dealer. I retired from the tire business and have a great deal of tire knowledge.
JAB5111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 03:59 PM   #14

Discount Tire has a terrible reputation in central Florida. It is very well known around The Villages STAY AWAY from Discount Tire!
Down Sized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 04:05 PM   #15
Gold Member

Wherever you go just make sure you get the correct size and load index tire and that they use a torque wrench not an impact to tighten your Lugnuts
Brad1998RD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 04:28 PM   #16
Platinum Member

Default Go to an independent tire shop in this case.

I have a Sprinter 3500 with dual wheels. I thought about Costco, BUT, they don't do valve extensions...

You really need and want to have valve extensions...go to a local tires shop in your area that specializes in this.

I highly recommend a tire pressure monitoring system with dual wheels.
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 05:13 PM   #17
Platinum Member

My Sprinter weighs a little over 10k lbs fully loaded, which is too heavy for lifts at most consumer tire dealers, Costco etc.
Belzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 05:33 PM   #18
Bronze Member

everybody has their own favorites, I have had nothing but good luck with les schwab.
they may be a west side of us chain, not sure, they have done free flat repairs even if i didnt buy from them, good price on batteries as well. just my 2 cents good luck! PS we have duallys on our Great western van Titon 2009 based on Chevy 2500 cut off van.
jjustj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 05:50 PM   #19
Gold Member

You’ve got sufficient answers above about using a reputable regular tire shop in your area. Given the number of heavy duty pickups on the road these days, any shop that doesn’t cater to light truck “LT” sizes won’t be in business for much longer. National branded shops can be good, but I’m a fan of ‘Buy Local’ and also have found that small owner operated tire shops with a good Google or Yelp review are a good alternative (stressing that they specialize in tires)

Regardless of the shop you choose, I recommend going into Consumer reports or a tire review site and looking at light tire recommendations based on the driving you do. If you are forearmed with a few good tire model names before you go to the shop, you won’t be as subject to the latest deal.

LT tires have more sidewall plies than passenger tires, and you should choose the best combination for you in terms of ride quality, price, handling, braking, quietness, and rain or snow-worthiness On RV’s the mileage is less important for most of us, since tire life will expire in calendar years before we wear the treads down.

Good luck!
Bertiboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 06:08 PM   #20
Bronze Member

I have previously had my Foretravel diesel pushers tired at truck tire shops, full service shops. My local auto tire dealer has been more than helpful when I exchanged the stock wheels on my MB Sprinter for Alcoa wheels,and for installing my TPMS, fixing stems, etc.
I will buy my new tires from him, ordering them with new dates (less than 3months). Oh yes, he rotated my wheels when uneven wear was discovered and sent me to a reliable MB qualified alignment shop.
604eholston@charter.net is offline   Reply With Quote