Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-03-2018, 04:25 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadie View Post
I have been using a Tire Minder 66 for about 18 months. I have taken four trips 2k mi, 3k mi, 4k mi, 10k mi. It has failed on every trip, been sent back on warranty and replaced. But what a PIA! That is why I am looking.
I've had better luck with TireMinder; have 4 sets of 66's on my pickup and cars and an A1A on my 2011 Sprinter; thats 22 tolal sensors and 5 displays; in the last 30 month had one sensor fail and no displays; estimated average total mileage around 30k per year.

I had a tire failure on the pickup without TPMS, that prompted buying them on everthing I own.

Paul J
mck150stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 02:38 PM   #22

We have used a variety of the valve stem sensor TPMS systems on multiple vehicles (2 of them being Class B's). Our current system in the Rand McNally system which seems to be of limited availability but still shows up on RM's website at a very discounted price.

https://store.randmcnally.com/tire-p...ng-system.html

I have had good luck with this system for the past year. When it became discounted I purchased a second system to have spare valve stem sensors. What attracted me to this system is that it uses Bluetooth to connect to a phone. I use an old Android phone as the dash display sensor which works great.

My main complaint about the RM system is the Android app has no bells & whistles. It could have many more features which it will likely never get since RM seems to have discontinued the system. I did have some issues with valve stem sensors leaking which is a shortcoming of these types of systems. However, using carefully applied silicone grease on the valve stems I solved that problem. The batteries need to be replaced about twice per year and are very inexpensive and easy to replace.

As far as accuracy is concerned it seems reasonably accurate when compared to a tire pressure gauge (within +/- 2PSI). The main thing is watching for changes in the pressure to be alerted to a leak which the RM app will signal. I don't suppose the tire temperature is accurate since not measured internally yet that too is not a big deal since the main thing is watching for temperature stability while on the road. It is interesting to see the tire pressure increase as the tire temperature increases.

In all I am very happy with the inexpensive Rand McNally system. Wish they were still supporting it.
drober05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 06:36 AM   #23
Platinum Member

Default Highly desirable....and surprisingly not very expensive....

Quote:
I am wondering how many people have added on a TPMS system to the RV's that are older than 2008 when they became standard on all vehicles? But more important What brand are you using and what kind of problems have you had?
Truck Systems Technologies--- works great..
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 04:05 PM   #24
Silver Member

Default We like Tire Minder. We have used it for years.

We like Tire Minder. We have used it for years. First we used it our Class A Tiffin Phaeton to monitor the 6 coach tires and 4 on the Toad, and still use it our 2007 Roadtrek 210 and 4 on the trailer we pull. We have only had to replace the batteries now and then. You need to set the tire pressures according to a high quality tire gauge and then leave it alone. The pressure and temp (although I have never tested the temp) might vary slightly on the Tire Minder, but it will definitely let you know if something is going wrong once you are used to the normal operating ranges for tire pressure and heat for your coach. I have complete confidence in it.
jbucking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 04:08 PM   #25
Platinum Member

Has anyone had a problem with the valve mounted sensors leaking?
peteco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 04:13 PM   #26
Site Team

It is good to see all these testimonials as to the value of a TPMS. I think that beginners often fail to realize how important this feature is, especially when driving with duallies. It is too often described as a "nice to have" feature, but IMO it is much more than that.

The other thing that needs emphasis is the importance of upgrading to proper one-piece metal stems when installing externally-mounted TPMS sensors.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 04:14 PM   #27
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteco View Post
Has anyone had a problem with the valve mounted sensors leaking?
Not me. (We have TST).
Old 12-04-2018, 04:32 PM   #28
Silver Member

Not with Tire Minder
Old 12-04-2018, 05:23 PM   #29
Bronze Member

It is interesting to see the Tire Minders that many people have and apparently with some success with in many vehicles This is especially since I have had my 66 fail and need to be returned to be replaced on 4 straight trips. Now I am wondering how the A1A will be.
Roadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 06:07 PM   #30
Silver Member

What failed on your Tire Minder ? What kind of coach were you using it on ?
Old 12-04-2018, 11:39 PM   #31
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbucking View Post
What failed on your Tire Minder ? What kind of coach were you using it on ?
First failure was the monitor, it was not seeing a tire, so I had an additional sensor, I replaced original sensor. Then another sensor, I swapped sensor positions, that worked for a bit. Every time I was on the phone with Tire Minder. Finally I was getting so many alarms I had to turn it off. Called Tire Minder. they told me to send it in. When I returned from trip I sent the entire unit, they checked and replaced what they said was needed. I got it back and had an immediate failure, returned again. It was then returned two more times. All of this was over two years and about 24,000 miles on a Class B. Their Customer Service has been top notch, friendly, but come on 4 returns? I never completed a trip that it was working! I am now going with the A1A only because so many people tell me they like Tire Minder. If this fails, then I will part company forever and you will see it here too. If not you will still see me here telling everyone how good it is.
Old 12-05-2018, 01:27 PM   #32
Silver Member

Interesting. I know on our class A towing a Jeep that we had to use a signal booster (highly recommended by Tire Minder) due the length or we would occasional drop a signal from the tow vehicle. We do not need the booster on our Roadtrek and have never had any problems. Their customer service is excellent. If you mail them your dead batteries they will mail you back fresh ones.
Old 12-05-2018, 02:10 PM   #33

Quote:
First failure was the monitor, it was not seeing a tire, so I had an additional sensor, I replaced original sensor. Then another sensor, I swapped sensor positions, that worked for a bit. Every time I was on the phone with Tire Minder. Finally I was getting so many alarms I had to turn it off. Called Tire Minder. they told me to send it in. When I returned from trip I sent the entire unit, they checked and replaced what they said was needed. I got it back and had an immediate failure, returned again. It was then returned two more times. All of this was over two years and about 24,000 miles on a Class B. Their Customer Service has been top notch, friendly, but come on 4 returns? I never completed a trip that it was working! I am now going with the A1A only because so many people tell me they like Tire Minder. If this fails, then I will part company forever and you will see it here too. If not you will still see me here telling everyone how good it is.
When I put my A1A on my 3500 Sprinter I didn't install the booster that was came with it; it worked fine until I installed a Rosco backup camera and mounted display beside the A1A display; first trip I started getting intermittent "No Signal" alarms; not always on the same tire; installed the booster, solved the problem; The Rosco cameras (2) I installed are hardwired not wireless so I assume the interference was from proximity to the camera moniter;

Had a similar problem with my 66 on a '06 Toyota Sienna van when I put a Garimin Montana GPS to close; I separated them a no problems since;

I have a tandem axle trailer, when I pull it I transfer a set 66's from one of the cars (car stays parked as long as tpms are removed) to the trailer and put a booster on the hitch; never had a problem.

I've had a couple intermittent unexplained "No signal" incidents on my 66's but they have been few and far between; certainly not enough to create an issue; I just assume there is some local interference that temporarily defeats the magic.

Paul J
mck150stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 02:12 PM   #34
Bronze Member

Quote:
Interesting. I know on our class A towing a Jeep that we had to use a signal booster (highly recommended by Tire Minder) due the length or we would occasional drop a signal from the tow vehicle. We do not need the booster on our Roadtrek and have never had any problems. Their customer service is excellent. If you mail them your dead batteries they will mail you back fresh ones.
Yes, it was a funny thing, in our Roadtrek, it sometimes dropped the signal to one of the front wheels, then the other, sometimes either one of the back, but no pattern. Yes it does have the signal booster, but when the tire is less than 4' from the reading, who knows what causes that!
Old 12-05-2018, 02:17 PM   #35
Site Team

FWIW, I have never had signal problems with the TST unit. No repeater.

It doesn't have the world's greatest user interface, but functionally it seems very robust.
Old 12-05-2018, 02:18 PM   #36
Silver Member

It seems like there is some reference in the extensive Tire Minder owner's manual about potential interference from other electrical accessories. Perhaps moving the monitor to a new location would solve the problem, or at least experiment with moving it around and see what happens..
Old 12-05-2018, 03:32 PM   #37
Bronze Member

Quote:
It seems like there is some reference in the extensive Tire Minder owner's manual about potential interference from other electrical accessories. Perhaps moving the monitor to a new location would solve the problem, or at least experiment with moving it around and see what happens..
I did sit it on the 3rd seat of the RT while driving for a while, but still got the same alarms. The strange part on this last time was that it was always different tires loosing the signal. then finally it would not respond to the buttons as though they were disconnected. I let the battery go totally dead thinking like a computer that needed booted, but that was it for that one too.
Old 12-27-2018, 02:31 AM   #38

Hi, I also have the 2017 transit crossfit. How did you manage to get the inside rear sender on the stem? It's an awfully tight space. Is there a lot of room for the sensor?
rognadeau@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 02:33 PM   #39

The Paseo came with flexible valve extenders on the rear wheels and somewhat short valve stems on all of the wheels. I had all of the valve stems replaced with Duallyvalve one piece metal valve stems. Because these valves are made for specific vehicle type and wheel type this allowed for much easier adjustment of the air pressure. Then I installed the Tire Tracker TT-500 TPMS for all six wheels.
Bovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 05:59 PM   #40

Interesting. Until this topic came up I never knew that there were such monitors as "external" such as:

https://www.amazon.com/Tymate-Wirele...a-584960829768

^^^ This is referred to as being for an RV, along with other things.

My minivan has (internal sensor) TPMS from the factory (2011 Town & Country) so I just assumed that everything after 2006 / 2007 had TPMS as a standard installation.
Altster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air pressure, tire pressure monitor, tires, tpms