Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2018, 11:24 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Tire recommendations for a Roadtrek 200

Search is not helping me so here I am.

Just realized our tires are ten years old. I would appreciate recommendations for new tires. Our van is a 200 V built on a 2000 3500 Chevy Express Van chassis. Our criteria are:

* Quiet ride
* Smooth ride
* Good handling when towing (although I may be about done with towing a car)
* Some degree of snow traction

Having owned the van from new, I understand none of those criteria can actually be met!

A second question is what to do for a spare tire. We still have the original unused Firestone spare, now 18 years old. Do we keep it, do we keep one of the current tires, do we get a cheap new tire?

Thanks,

Bill
rtbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 11:47 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Bill... that's an easy question to answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbill View Post
Search is not helping me so here I am.

Just realized our tires are ten years old. I would appreciate recommendations for new tires. Our van is a 200 V built on a 2000 3500 Chevy Express Van chassis. Our criteria are:

* Quiet ride
* Smooth ride
* Good handling when towing (although I may be about done with towing a car)
* Some degree of snow traction

Having owned the van from new, I understand none of those criteria can actually be met!

A second question is what to do for a spare tire. We still have the original unused Firestone spare, now 18 years old. Do we keep it, do we keep one of the current tires, do we get a cheap new tire?

Thanks,

Bill
Bill.... get rid of all the old tires... I normally change mine every 6 years....no more than 7 ....
Go out and get Michelin Defender tires.... they are GREAT....

They're all season radial tires...it's not possible to have everything in one tire... snow tires are specific to the season.... don't know where you live...if it only snows a couple months a year....I wouldn't worry about it......

I live in Los Angeles...we don't worry about snow...but... I occasionally travel to areas with some snow...has not been a problem.....

if you join FMCA they have a tire deal... I found this out after I purchased my tires.... don't know how much you'll save...call around.. very competitive prices....

I've been using Michelin tires for years on my cars.... another fine tire is Continental... but I have Michelin Defender LTX on my 2012 Roadtrek RS Adventurous .....

Listen... tires are CHEAP compared to a blowout and accident..... I highly recommend a tire pressure monitoring system...I'm using Truck System Technologies.... wireless unit that sends a signal to the sensors on the tires....$300 ...the best investment you'll ever make....

----MARK
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote