Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2022, 11:37 PM   #1

Default Tire replacement

It's time to replace the Michelin Lt 245/75R16 tires on our 07/08 RT190.

That tire is now replaced with the "Agilis", and Booster has previously posted a great review on his purchase of these for his RT. (thank you again).

Has anyone had experience with Kumho Crugen H51, (load E) tires? My mechanic is suggesting these as a slightly more economical purchase with similar results, and it has a $60 rebate as well at the moment!.

I will be purchasing 5 tires to include the spare, which desparately needs to say its final hurrah!

Many thanks,

Arvie1
Arvie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 12:29 AM   #2
Platinum Member

I bought the Agilis almost 2 years ago
( Pleasure Way on a chev)

A hearty thumbs up

Notable in my experience was the shedding of water/resistance to hydroplaning in standing water on the road

something you might think about as Spring comes to Ontario

noise- I was unhappy with mine "flapping" on expansion joints

then I realised that after about 500 miles that noise was gone

see if your local costco carries the Agilis and save a buck- my price after rebates n stuff was about 750 USD for all 4

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 01:19 AM   #3

Many thanks Mike,

I have purchased from Costco for our cars, but when I asked about the Roadtrek, they would not put it up on their hoists. (too heavy, or too much going on underneath??)

Anyway, I should inquire again, maybe my mechanic would put them on.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Paul
Old 03-19-2022, 01:52 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arvie1 View Post
Many thanks Mike,

I have purchased from Costco for our cars, but when I asked about the Roadtrek, they would not put it up on their hoists. (too heavy, or too much going on underneath??)

Anyway, I should inquire again, maybe my mechanic would put them on.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Paul

Here in Minnesota I have found Discount Tire to always be less expensive than Costco, and they have a very good price match policy if they aren't lowest.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 02:38 AM   #5

Thank you Booster, I will check that out tomorrow.
Cheers,
Paul
Old 03-22-2022, 09:40 PM   #6
Bronze Member

My rig (1996 Dodge B3500 PW) runs fine on Michelin Defender LT245/75/16
Blueboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 04:14 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Another thumbs up for Agilis all climate. 2020 Thor Tellaro/RAM Promaster 3500ext.
W9TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 04:27 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arvie1 View Post
It's time to replace the Michelin Lt 245/75R16 tires on our 07/08 RT190.

That tire is now replaced with the "Agilis", and Booster has previously posted a great review on his purchase of these for his RT. (thank you again).

Has anyone had experience with Kumho Crugen H51, (load E) tires? My mechanic is suggesting these as a slightly more economical purchase with similar results, and it has a $60 rebate as well at the moment!.

I will be purchasing 5 tires to include the spare, which desparately needs to say its final hurrah!

Many thanks,

Arvie1
Just got Michelin XPS tires on my 2005/190/Popular. Not economy tires but like riding on a cloud. Low road noise, less tire lean & less bump noise with steel belted sidewalls. Worth the $$.
georgeherberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 05:01 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeherberger View Post
Just got Michelin XPS tires on my 2005/190/Popular. Not economy tires but like riding on a cloud. Low road noise, less tire lean & less bump noise with steel belted sidewalls. Worth the $$.

I am surprised they ride decently as they are a commercial/fleet tire with very stiff sidewalls. They were the go to on the Dodges for a long time to help reduce wander and wind push, but had lots of comments about rough ride with them. I think most of Dodges have moved to other tires now as they have gotten better for handling. They also were said to have very bad and snow and also not very good on wet roads traction.

The spec sheet at Michelin say they have a 75 mph speed maximum.
Old 03-27-2022, 05:13 PM   #10

Looking for Advice & Opinions.

I have a 07C210P. I replaced the tires in 2018 with Michelin Defenders. They have 22000 miles on them with tread depths ranging from 11/32" to 9/32" of wear. I like the tire but as we know it is no longer available and it held up to gravel roads. I am planning on a trip of about 13000 miles with plenty of gravel roads (Alaska).
I understand that the Agilis Cross climate is a good tire but reports that it does not do well with wear especially on gravel roads.

Should I keep the present low mileage tire or replace now? TIA
Travilnguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 05:52 PM   #11
Platinum Member

We went to Alaska and we did not encounter any gravel roads other than some repair areas from the Alaska Highway up to Fairbanks and south and all the Kenai Peninsula. We didn't attempt to go up to Prudhoe Bay for instance. We did go to Chicken, Alaska and then beyond to Dawson City, Yukon and that's when we encountered "On Top of the World" highway which was about a 90 mile stretch in Canada of fantastic view gravel road. I figure if you travel 200 miles or so out of 13,000 miles you would not have to worry about tire wear. My Defenders were good for 70,000 miles under warranty. I figure that is testimony for me and every indicator and inspection led me to believe they would last that long though I traded my vans in before that mileage. My current van had upgraded Agilis tires already mounted so didn't have to worry about the crappy Vanco factory tires that never reached 35,000 miles twice. I haven't bothered to inquire about the Agilis tire capability. If that is Michelin's replacement for the Defenders, I'm good. I would take those gravel roads comments with a grain of salt.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 06:04 PM   #12

Thanks Davydd. We had the Defenders on when we went to Alaska in 2019, planning a return this year. While there we didn't take many gravel roads but plan on taking a few this trip including the 'Top of the World', the road to Kennicott McCarthy and a few mines for gold panning. I have been on the fence about replacing the Defenders now because of the low mileage and age knowing that I intentionally will be hitting some more gravel roads. Good to know your Defenders lasted that long.
Old 03-27-2022, 06:09 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travilnguy View Post
Looking for Advice & Opinions.

I have a 07C210P. I replaced the tires in 2018 with Michelin Defenders. They have 22000 miles on them with tread depths ranging from 11/32" to 9/32" of wear. I like the tire but as we know it is no longer available and it held up to gravel roads. I am planning on a trip of about 13000 miles with plenty of gravel roads (Alaska).
I understand that the Agilis Cross climate is a good tire but reports that it does not do well with wear especially on gravel roads.

Should I keep the present low mileage tire or replace now? TIA

I think I would stay with what you have as they are only 4 years for a couple of years. The Agilis are claimed to have strong/stiffer sidewalls, but we saw no real difference in ride when we put them on after our LTXMS2 tires, which were the near identical predecessor to the Defenders. Perhaps the Agilis would be a bit stronger against big rock damage and such, but not certain.

Tough choice.

I think you toughest issue will be ground clearance and load capacity for a long trip to wilderness.
Old 03-27-2022, 07:14 PM   #14

Thanks Booster, working on lighting the load now. Ground clearance has always been an issue. I have improved the ride a bit with new Sumo bump stops in the front and rear air bags. My biggest issue for this trip is probably the gas prices. They are about double from when we went in 2019. We were reconsidering going but we are not getting any younger. We originally had an Alaska trip planned in 2018 but after I fell off a ladder washing the RT three days before departure, I was bed ridden for a few months. Then when Covid hit in '20, '21 we had to hold off again. No one is ever sure what tomorrow will bring!
I guess I will hold off on the tires this year and use the money not spent for gas.
Old 03-27-2022, 09:38 PM   #15
Gold Member

Not to "muddy" the issue here, but i bought a set (6 tires, had a great almost new Michelin spare) of Yokohama YK-HTX LT245/75R 16's M+S load range E tires with 3 polyester sidewall plies and 3 polyester+ 2 steel+ 1 nylon tread plies from Discount Tire for my Dodge about three years and 30,000 miles ago. They were around 25 or 30% cheaper than the equivalent Michelin tires (can't remember which ones they were). Just driving out of the store and going over a lip of concrete to the road shocked me as to how compliant they are in comparison to my old Michelins. I was afraid that as a result that they might handle like mush in the corners but no, and, they have been very quiet and are still balanced. Track great too, and although I haven't checked with a depth gauge, wear has been extremely minimal and I'll bet I can get another 30K miles out of them. I haven't had them in snow, but traction has been acceptable in wet conditions and mud/dirt as well. I don't know if they still sell these things but if you like buying from Discount (I won't buy tires from anyone else) these are certainly a lower cost great tire to choose.
nicaland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 10:13 PM   #16
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travilnguy View Post
Thanks Davydd. We had the Defenders on when we went to Alaska in 2019, planning a return this year. While there we didn't take many gravel roads but plan on taking a few this trip including the 'Top of the World', the road to Kennicott McCarthy and a few mines for gold panning. I have been on the fence about replacing the Defenders now because of the low mileage and age knowing that I intentionally will be hitting some more gravel roads. Good to know your Defenders lasted that long.
You will love The One Top of the World Highway. There is nothing like it with 360 degree views as far as the eye can see in mountains not flat plains. It is more dirt pan smooth clay than gravel when were on it and you had to avoid the potholes which was kind of easy to do because there was little traffic.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 12:52 PM   #17
Platinum Member

Alaska is an awesome trip. We did it in 2019 in our 36' Foretravel pulling our Silverado. I might add to anyone planning this trip to make sure your suspension and brakes are in top condition. The road heaves aren't to be taken lightly. Some are marked, most aren't but you get used to seeing them in advance. Well, most of them. Some of them will surprise you!
Top of the world highway was fun. We also drove the truck up the Dalton, spent a couple nights in Wiseman. And drove up past Atigun pass to experience the tundra. Expect wet roads and cold rain up there. Didn't get to Tuktoyaktuk to jump in the Arctic sea. Maybe in a couple years.
Previously: 1999 36' Foretravel, 1998 Newell, 1993 Newell
folivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 05:59 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
I am surprised they ride decently as they are a commercial/fleet tire with very stiff sidewalls. They were the go to on the Dodges for a long time to help reduce wander and wind push, but had lots of comments about rough ride with them. I think most of Dodges have moved to other tires now as they have gotten better for handling. They also were said to have very bad and snow and also not very good on wet roads traction.

The spec sheet at Michelin say they have a 75 mph speed maximum.
I believe you gave erroneous information, The tires are marked 245/75R16 120 Q which equals a speed rating of 100 mph. Like I would ever go that fast.
georgeherberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 06:15 PM   #19
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeherberger View Post
I believe you gave erroneous information, The tires are marked 245/75R16 120 Q which equals a speed rating of 100 mph. Like I would ever go that fast.

I got it from this page for the XPS ribs

https://business.michelinman.com/tir...specifications
Old 03-28-2022, 09:34 PM   #20
Platinum Member

Chevy PW riding MCH Agiles CrossClimate...best tires on the market IMO. Don't be cheap while sitting on 9200 pounds or whatever....
ChicagoTom is offline   Reply With Quote