Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2022, 02:32 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Tires, TPMS, and how old is your spare?

Last summer I had added an aftermarket tire pressure monitoring system. I selected a very reasonably priced add-on system I found on Amazon (Favoto TPMS Tire Pressure Monitoring System Wireless Solar Power Installed on Window Pane with 4 External Sensors LCD Real-Time Display 4 Tires' Pressure&Temperature 22-99 PSI https://a.co/d/8UdBOuN).

Lower priced models like this have external sensors that mount on the tire stems. These present a few challenges. Each sensor is specific to wheel position (RF, RR, LF, LR). So if you rotate tires you need to reposition the sensors to the correct tire. External sensors usually have to be removed to adjust tire pressure. It is not all that difficult, although when I asked the dealership to rotate the tires and swap the sensors their shop geniuses could not figure out how to do it, despite fairly clear instructions. Simple solution is remove them when you go in for any tire related service

I like that this model's display is solar powered. It mounts on the windshield interior and charges during the day. The sensors have button type batteries that last years. The display is easily readable in daylight and not too bright at night.

While the system allows for alarm set points (beep if tire pressure or temperature goes outside set points), the set points apply to all 4 wheels. My RoadTrek has 80psi rear and 55psi front, I set for the 80psi. If I replace the system I would look for one that allows different set points.

So the system proved its worth when it alerted me to a front tire that was losing pressure. I quickly found a tire dealer on my route that had 2 in stock.

While they had the RoadTrek I asked them to check the spare. Although it had lots of tread, it turned out it was THE ORIGINAL spare from 2006. I had them replace it with the non-leaking tire off the front. The original spare would not have likely lasted very long in use and the one I used was much newer with plenty of tread left.
engnrsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 03:08 PM   #2
Platinum Member

I use a Favato $40 system as well.

My spare has zero miles and is 6 years old...

It'll get me out of a jam but that's it.

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 06:26 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Have you had to change batteries in the sensors yet?
engnrsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 12:44 AM   #4
Platinum Member

I use a system from TireMinder on the car I'm towing behind my Class C. You can adjust the pressure and temperature parameters individually for each tire. The display is solar powered but it is usually not visible during the day unless there is a problem. Then it lights up very brightly. It's visible at night, though.

It was also 3 times the price of the cheapo ones I hoped would work but didn't.

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
eric1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 04:56 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by engnrsrule View Post
Have you had to change batteries in the sensors yet?

not in my van but on my truck.
batteries in the van have been there a couple of years.

truck batteries lasted probably a couple or three years.
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 04:54 PM   #6
Platinum Member

My spare is one year old. It was the original Michelin that shipped with the van in 2004. Glad I never needed it. I replaced it in preparation for a trip to Death Valley.
rvsprinterguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 05:41 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Here is how I get the most value out of my tires. This would apply to a non-dually vehicle (4 tires plus spare), though you could apply the principle to a dually vehicle as well (but for 6 tires plus the spare). If I have a new or not too old spare I do a 5-tire rotation so I spread out the tread wear over 5 tires. Then when the tires need replacing, I buy 5 new tires. However, if I had to replace a failed tire and one of the tires is still not too old and has good tread, I will only buy 4 new tires and use the not-new (but still good) tire in a 5-tire rotation. That way you don't waste a nice spare by letting it age-out when you could be using it.
peteco is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
spare tire, tpms