Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2018, 09:36 PM   #41
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelingp View Post
Fiamma F65S. It has legs, although there also brackets you can mount on the side of the van (if you can find a strong mounting spot). I didn't know there were legless awnings for class B.
I would think liability folks helped them to write the manual. I can envision in a downpour that the fabric would cave forming heavy puddles potentially bending aluminum arms. Tilting the awning by 4-6” can easy take care of water drainage. New, electric legless awning can’t be tilted so the rain could be a problem.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 09:41 PM   #42
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
We have a 14' x 14' Eddie Bauer screen tent that packs away in a small canvas bag about 8" x 8" x 28". It fits over a picnic table and keeps the bugs and mosquitos away. It also provides sun screening, and sitting out in the rain. It helps mark our campsite when away. We carry it because it doesn't take up much room. I didn't realize I never took a recent photo. This is northern Minnesota at the Woodenfrog State Forest, a mosquito laden campsite, when we had our Great West Van.

We have the Rei one, only used in heavy mosquito infested spring time in NW or camping over 3 days long. It takes time to erected it.
Attached Images
File Type: png Untitled.png (391.7 KB, 12 views)
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 10:25 PM   #43
Platinum Member

We carry an LL Bean screenhouse along with the fly and floor for it. Doubles as a tent when needed for sleeping for extra people traveling with us. It is a heavier duty than many and doesn't pack quite as small...

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/5839...trValue_0=Sage
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 01:32 AM   #44
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelingp View Post
Fiamma F65S. It has legs, although there also brackets you can mount on the side of the van (if you can find a strong mounting spot). I didn't know there were legless awnings for class B.
I don't know about other RVs, but we have a legless awning. The Ford Transit doesn't have an external pillar between the front passenger door and the side sliding door so unless there are legs to the ground, there is nothing to brace against. It will not tolerate wind so we rarely use it.
Old 06-13-2018, 03:07 PM   #45
Platinum Member

I think that with our next RV we might skip the awning and get a screen room like one of the ones shown, or maybe one of the Clam Quick Set models. I do agree that if the sun is on the awning side, that an awning can be nice, and if it is lightly raining then it makes a great cover for the sliding door. But our recent trips rarely stay in one place for more than a day... And if they do then a screen room is a better option for bugs.
Mfturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 03:13 PM   #46
Joe
Platinum Member

Send a message via AIM to Joe

Truth be told. We love the awning but do not use it much. As stated above about boondocking we never put up. And usually while camping. We travel about during the day. Our awning is a manual on a 1995 Xplorer class B. So it is kind of a hassle to put up and down. Plus we do have a 10x10 screen house we use.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 03:34 PM   #47
Site Team

One could imagine a very small awning-like accessory that was designed merely to shade the van, rather than to provide human shelter. Such an item might be able to be acceptably non-butt-ugly.
avanti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 03:36 PM   #48
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfturner View Post
But our recent trips rarely stay in one place for more than a day... And if they do then a screen room is a better option for bugs.
Actually we've found that when staying just one night is exactly when the awning is most useful. When staying longer, we put up the screen room, but still often use the awning to protect from the sun and rain, but not feel closed in.
WJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 04:12 PM   #49
Platinum Member

I saw this on Amazon and thought of this thread. This is would be more economical than an Awning. I think it would work on a Class B Hitch and have enough height. Your results may vary.

$140

Tailbrella- The #1 Tailgating Umbrella. 9FT Windproof Hitch Umbrella That Assembles in Seconds. Perfect Canopy for Football, the Beach, Hunting, Work, and so Much More.
https://www.amazon.com/Tailbrella-Ta...ustomerReviews

goreds2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 04:45 PM   #50
Platinum Member

As always; I guess it just depends on your uses.
We Boondock on government land almost exclusively and use the awning pretty much every trip. I have an electric legged awning.
It's great in a gentle rain because I can extend the awning enough to keep the rain out of the windows or sliding door. It's great when the sun is beating on the side of the van, as I can extend it to whatever length necessary for shade. I often extend it just a few inches even when just parked for shade. If we stay a day or two, I extend it completely and fasten the legs to the van - it's very robust (as far as awnings go).
Personally, I don't believe I would use it near as much if it was manual or a seperate tent - probably because I am lazy. We bought a "pop up" screen tent, and found it too much of a hassle to use, and it has been removed from the van. The screen options for an awning looks cool, but we are often in and out and don't usually stay in one place long.
As far as looks - I have a Travato, with an air conditioner, solar roof vents,m wall vents, speakers, lights etc.. There is no "hiding" it from being an RV.
Personally, I couldn't give a flip about resale. I bought this van for me.
Good luck.
Scottbaldassari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 05:37 PM   #51
Platinum Member

Guess you have your answer by now or you are more confused than ever.

IMO, it depends how you use your class B. Are you planning on going to a campground, parking it, and staying a few days? Or are you staying a night or two and using your class B to see the sights during the day at many different stops?

If you are parking it (or towing a vehicle) then I would get the awning.

If you are making many stops and using your class B to sight see during the day time hours, then you would probably rarely use your awning and I would leave it off.

I base this on several cross country trips with two of them over 12k miles each. I carry a 10x10 self supporting shade unit for when I do want shade (or rain protection), set it up over the picnic table and leave it there until we depart as others are doing.

One of the reasons that we went with a class b, was ease of setup and tear down. Dealing with an awning everytime I want to move the vehicle is not for me.

It may be for you. Good luck
Hatteras Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 06:05 PM   #52

We have a class B and did not take the awning option. No regrets for the last 5 years. If we would stay all day at the same place maybe i'd miss an awning but when you stop at 4-5 pm, there is always some shade
Old 06-15-2018, 07:20 PM   #53
Silver Member

We are full time RVers with solar autonomous Roadtrek and 34’ fifth wheel. Roadtrek is for trips down Labrador and colonial towns in Mexico.

It rained a lot in the Maritimes and New England so awning was out every time we spent more than one night

We drive to Yucatan every winter for four months on beach. Awning makes delightful trip even more pleasurable
Reed and Elaine
Reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 08:08 PM   #54
Platinum Member

15jun18 -
My wife and I wanted an awning and we use it every trip or at least have so far.

When parked at home and outside the shop, I often put it out here too. I think it helps to keep the van cool both from shading the sliding door opening and just the immediate ground on that side. On our trips, it has been really nice to have meals under for indirect sunlight and a few rains that we have been in.

Ours came standard on our WINNEBAGO. It is an electric awning made by CAREFREE. 13 feet long so it covers most of the side of the van. It works flawlessly and it is simply the cats meow. No support arms/poles; it has jointed, horizontal arms that deploy right under the canopy itself; no poles to run into. It also has a wind sensor which will automatically retract the canopy if gusts wiggle the canopy enough. Even the LED's along the leading rail have turned out to provide pleasant lighting at our table during the evening.

It seemed kind of overkill and a bit expensive to be included as part of the RV. No regrets. My wife and I both have enjoyed it and the whole darn RV from our very first trip. I was thinking at one time whatever we chose for a Class B, we would just get a hand crank out canopy. They do work fine. And not a big deal if it did not have the LED lighting either. But I have to admit just pushing a button and in several seconds it's deployed or retracted. It is pretty slick.
Storysrvwego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 10:47 PM   #55
Silver Member

Default With or without

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storysrvwego View Post
15jun18 -
My wife and I wanted an awning and we use it every trip or at least have so far.

When parked at home and outside the shop, I often put it out here too. I think it helps to keep the van cool both from shading the sliding door opening and just the immediate ground on that side. On our trips, it has been really nice to have meals under for indirect sunlight and a few rains that we have been in.

Ours came standard on our WINNEBAGO. It is an electric awning made by CAREFREE. 13 feet long so it covers most of the side of the van. It works flawlessly and it is simply the cats meow. No support arms/poles; it has jointed, horizontal arms that deploy right under the canopy itself; no poles to run into. It also has a wind sensor which will automatically retract the canopy if gusts wiggle the canopy enough. Even the LED's along the leading rail have turned out to provide pleasant lighting at our table during the evening.

It seemed kind of overkill and a bit expensive to be included as part of the RV. No regrets. My wife and I both have enjoyed it and the whole darn RV from our very first trip. I was thinking at one time whatever we chose for a Class B, we would just get a hand crank out canopy. They do work fine. And not a big deal if it did not have the LED lighting either. But I have to admit just pushing a button and in several seconds it's deployed or retracted. It is pretty slick.
I have a Safari Condo XL 21 Promaster on order with manual legged Fiama awning, reading comments I gather I will use the awning when hooked up to services and when the weather is nice for an awning. In my case the awning will be used 30 percent of the time? The cost of the awning is perhaps only one percent of total price of RV .I should be okay with my decision of having the basic manual no LED awning.

I am also thinking that if you get the awning out you may want a carpet out to install the chairs table.

Have a nice summer with or without .
Paul the Gardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 11:47 PM   #56
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul the Gardens View Post
I have a Safari Condo XL 21 Promaster on order with manual legged Fiama awning, reading comments I gather I will use the awning when hooked up to services and when the weather is nice for an awning. In my case the awning will be used 30 percent of the time? The cost of the awning is perhaps only one percent of total price of RV .I should be okay with my decision of having the basic manual no LED awning.

I am also thinking that if you get the awning out you may want a carpet out to install the chairs table.

Have a nice summer with or without .
We "inherited" one of those large camping mats when our daughter neded a larger one for their huge fifth wheel. Had not tried one before and find they are very good! Really keeps the area under he awning (and the inside of the RV) a lot cleaner and quick to clan off with a hose.

Now that we are downsizing from a trailer to a B van, I may try cutting it down in size to suit and still using it!

Brian
<<B-Guy>> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 01:24 AM   #57
Platinum Member

I didn't think I wanted an awning on my next van. But today I saw this rack-awning combo from Roambuilt. It would work great on a short Sprinter conversion. It uses a high quality marine boat awning.
https://www.roambuilt.com/product/shadowrack-144/

- - Mike
2012 Sprinter 3500 Extended converted B-Van by Airstream
Old 06-16-2018, 09:22 AM   #58
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rothskeller View Post
I'm planning for the upcoming build of my first campervan (a custom build). I'm waffling on whether or not to include an awning, and would like your thoughts. I can see how it might be useful, but since I haven't done any of this sort of travel, I don't really know how useful. Meanwhile, they do seem rather ugly to me when I see them on a van. And I'm not trying to be total stealth mode, but they do kind of scream "RV". Maybe carrying a portable shade structure in the van would be sufficient? What do you all think?

(Side note: the 2019 Sprinter, which seems to be what I'll end up with, has a 360º camera system. I'm not sure where the right side camera is, but if an awning would interfere with that system, I definitely wouldn't get the awning.)

It all depends on how you use it. If worried about stealth camping than don't put one on.
On our rig I wish we had a full awning. It sure comes in handy when there is no shade.
Brad1998RD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 01:14 PM   #59
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
I didn't think I wanted an awning on my next van. But today I saw this rack-awning combo from Roambuilt. It would work great on a short Sprinter conversion. It uses a high quality marine boat awning.
https://www.roambuilt.com/product/shadowrack-144/

- - Mike
2012 Sprinter 3500 Extended converted B-Van by Airstream
You might also consider the rack mounted batwing awnings that are popular with the off road crowd. This would give you an awning on the side and also around to the rear of the van. Google batwing awnings...
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 04:53 PM   #60
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatteras Jim View Post
Guess you have your answer by now or you are more confused than ever.
Both, actually.

The wealth of responses is really valuable. They paint both sides of the question well.
rothskeller is offline   Reply With Quote