Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2018, 05:23 PM   #61
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmchugh View Post
You might also consider the rack mounted batwing awnings that are popular with the off road crowd. This would give you an awning on the side and also around to the rear of the van. Google batwing awnings...
Yes - I've looked at batwing awnings. The problem is they are all manually deployed and that is a problem on high roof Sprinters. The RoamBuilt trademarked ShadowRack uses a high quality boat industry SureShade awning that is motorized. The SureShade awning can withstand a 50 mph wind as it is designed to be extended on a moving boat.

SureShade - Extending the Experience - Telescoping Boat Shades

https://trademarks.justia.com/875/04...-87504732.html

I'm putting this rack-awning on the build list for my next B-van.
Old 06-17-2018, 01:16 AM   #62
Platinum Member

Found this DIY rear door awning in an old Sportsmobile forum.

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...ning-2562.html

Very simple to build and install if you want some shade in back of van. It does require the doors to be open.

- - Mike
2012 Sprinter 3500 Extended converted B-Van by Airstream
Old 06-29-2018, 08:53 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
I would check the manual for your awning - I know some have the option of manually cranking the awning back in - maybe with a 3/8" square drive ratchet or special tool provided.

Not sure they all do, but it sure would make sense to design them that way!

I always like to study manuals in advance so that even if I don't remember all the details when needed, I do know of such options that may be described in the manual and that stops me worrying about such things that may or may not ever happen!

Brian
I am checking this thread because we just had a problem with our Carefree Freedom Lifestyle awning where it would extend about 6-8" and then stop, and would retract to 3-4" and stop. I tried the 3/8" ratchet square end and it is a hard stop and I declined to force the issue. We were home at the time and ready to head out for a trip. I made four 1" nylon webbing straps after I found I could easily push it closed with little effort, and used the straps to hold it snug to the case. We just completed our short trip, driving about 250 miles, with no issues. I am waiting to hear back from Carefree Colorado with ideas on how to fix the issue short of replacing the whole thing. Of course, you will need a taller than normal stepstool if this happens out in the field, and won't be of much use if it happens when it is extended out much further than we experienced.
hawkeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 03:14 PM   #64
Platinum Member

I saw this online and thought of this thread. It is a VW website but the awning can fit on any van type RV etc.

The Bus Depot Ezy-Awning | BusDepot.com
goreds2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 09:28 PM   #65
Platinum Member

We have an awning on our 2008 210P. We do not use the awning every day, but when we are parked in the afternoon sun it is sure worth it. Overall we probably put it our 20-25% of the time when we camp. Not much downside in having it; it doesn't add a lot of weight and is pretty inconspicuous when it is not deployed. Overall I really would not want to be without it.
JohnnyFry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 11:51 PM   #66
Silver Member

Thanks, @goreds2. It does look interesting.
rothskeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 06:22 PM   #67
Platinum Member

We just got back from a 2 month trip, and loved the Fiamma awning. I just ignored their advice to not use it in the rain. It was very useful, maybe once a week or so to either get out of the sun or out of the rain (when not too windy). One use we found was to just open it a foot or so to keep the rain out of the ProMaster when the side door was open and the wind was blowing the rain in.
michaelingp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 06:35 PM   #68
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelingp View Post
One use we found was to just open it a foot or so to keep the rain out of the ProMaster when the side door was open and the wind was blowing the rain in.
Thanks for the suggestion. I hadn't thought of that.

rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 11:37 AM   #69
Platinum Member

Yes, we too keep the awning open slightly in the rain, to protect the open door and everything stored next to the van.

I don't know if Instagram pages will load for non-account-holders these days, but I linked one below to see if it will work. As this URL may or may not show, I've also started using the awning to dry laundry underneath it when there is a risk of showers. I stick clothes to the side of the van with neodymium magnets, and I'm going to figure out a small magnetic rack solution to make this more efficient in the future.

This because I just got back from 5 weeks of boondocking during which I did most laundry by hand. The biggest change I always notice upon returning is the role of major appliances in our lives.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BnOJ3_1HejJ/
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 01:17 PM   #70
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye View Post
I am checking this thread because we just had a problem with our Carefree Freedom Lifestyle awning where it would extend about 6-8" and then stop, and would retract to 3-4" and stop. I tried the 3/8" ratchet square end and it is a hard stop and I declined to force the issue. We were home at the time and ready to head out for a trip. I made four 1" nylon webbing straps after I found I could easily push it closed with little effort, and used the straps to hold it snug to the case. We just completed our short trip, driving about 250 miles, with no issues. I am waiting to hear back from Carefree Colorado with ideas on how to fix the issue short of replacing the whole thing. Of course, you will need a taller than normal stepstool if this happens out in the field, and won't be of much use if it happens when it is extended out much further than we experienced.
Those Carefree awnings are the subject of much discussion on the Crossfit and Paseo Facebook groups. They seem to easily get stuck or get out of adjustment and won't work.
Old 09-05-2018, 02:31 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoebe3 View Post
Those Carefree awnings are the subject of much discussion on the Crossfit and Paseo Facebook groups. They seem to easily get stuck or get out of adjustment and won't work.
I used to have a problem with the mechanism of the carefree awning we had. It got stuck several times when the awning was new, so we had to get it replaced under the warranty. I cannot say that the service was 5-star, yet when we got the replacement it worked just fine. Though, this all was with the class A... I am not a big fan of awnings on the Class B, yet it's up to the owner to decide, whether they like the way it looks on their vehicle or no...
mike85ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 07:58 PM   #72
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike85ross View Post
I used to have a problem with the mechanism of the carefree awning we had. It got stuck several times when the awning was new, so we had to get it replaced under the warranty. I cannot say that the service was 5-star, yet when we got the replacement it worked just fine. Though, this all was with the class A... I am not a big fan of awnings on the Class B, yet it's up to the owner to decide, whether they like the way it looks on their vehicle or no...
My wife would have preferred not to have an awning on our vehicle as well if we had a choice.

2017 RT Agile SS
ponti33602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 09:31 AM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike85ross View Post
Here is the awning we used to have a problem with and that we finally had to sell. Other than the problem with the mechanism, wevrything worked fine... I also posted about that in their FB group yet they did not replace the awning for us under the warranty...
mike85ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 02:42 AM   #74
Bronze Member

Default Awning

We had a bag awning for our slide in camper and only used it maybe once or twice a year since it was a pain to put up and we seldom stay in one place for more than one night. Now we are new Bee owners and our van came with an awning. Didn't think we would use it much but discovered how easy it was to use and that it worked part way out and now kind of like the idea. Plan to use it out about 3 feet for some tight camping in October just to give us a dry area to come and go and store cooler and chairs outside.
JebTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 04:40 AM   #75
Platinum Member

Recently I've been experimenting with using an additional lightweight tarp with our awning for sun blocking when we're parked at a sub-optimal angle.

I picked up a couple of adjustable-length tent poles at REI, and some heavy duty suction cups at West Marine (my favorite RV store), to attach the awning corner to the windshield, when necessary. The tent poles I bungie to the awning legs to engage the grommets in the tarp.

Our awning is a valuable accessory. We use it all the time.
rvsprinterguy is offline   Reply With Quote