Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-13-2013, 08:36 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default To cover or not to cover that is the question

We store the coach in an rv storage lot within our gated community. It is very convenient. We can walk to the van or take a golf cart. The issue is that the storage lot does not have covered parking. Hence the florida sun beats down on the van.

I watched with interest how Davydd made refletix covers for most of his GWV windows. Following his lead we did the same, but for all of the windows and the windshield. My wife is a pretty talented seamstress and did all of the cutting of material and sewing of the edges.

I am pretty confident that we have succeeded in cooling off the interior and protected it from most if not all UV damage.

The question then becomes, is it worthwhile to purchase a cover for the van. I do not want the hassle of putting it on and taking it off, but if it is worthwhile, I will make the effort. My other concern is that this cover may chafe the surface and/or provide a nice nesting spot for varmints.

Recommendations please. If you have experience with a cover a brand recommendation would be appreciated.
Old 11-13-2013, 11:59 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: To cover or not to cover that is the question

For me it would depend on how long the vehicle would be left parked and unused. I had covers for two RV's. Both RV's were not used in the winter for at least 4 months. I would not use a cover on a vehicle that I use at least a couple of times per month. I'm really not sure if I'd get a cover again. It takes some effort to put the cover on and take it off. Sometimes the cover is wet.... You need somewhere to store the cover also.

For Florida - I think the Sunbrella fabric would be good. Calmark is a well known brand.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 04:26 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Covering a vehicle takes two people on ladders in order to not damage the A/C, vents, skylights, etc. If the vehicle was just going to sit unused for 4+ months, I'd consider a cover. However, the nice thing about a "B" is that they are meant to be used and used often.

Instead, would it be possible to see about an aluminum carport? I don't know if the storage lot would let a person build one, but it wouldn't hurt to ask (if one did want to go this route), and it definitely would do as much protection as a cover would, with a lot less hassle and aggravation. Another alternative are the tent garages I've seen. Yes, they are annoying to put up and take down, but one only needs to do the job once, and they will last a few years.

After a roof cover, the only real thing I'd consider covering would be the tires, just to keep brake pads and calipers from rusting.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 12:00 PM   #4
Platinum Member

I don't cover the B as I think the molded fiberglass is not prone to leakage and the 2 side windows and 2 roof vents fit well to it, i.e. no big gaps filled with caulk. I did just buy a cover (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001IZKDVC/ref ... 1_ST1_dp_1) for my camping trailer as it has the typical wood frame covered with aluminum construction with all the typical leak-prone seams and roof penetrations. I think it was a good buy, normally $358 marked down to $160 through Amazon. Cheap enough insurance against the typical Maine winter. I haven't put it on yet as we have company coming next weekend and will be using it as a guestroom. Hopefully we don't get an early snowstorm before I get it on.
AmCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 04:16 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Its Thanksgiving day and I got around to installing the new cover on the camping trailer. If this one stands up well over the winter, I may get one for the B. Here's the review I posted on Amazon when I finished:
I just installed my cover for the first time - alone with gusting winds. Do-able but would be a lot easier with 2 people.
Searched the box for instructions - all I found was a patch kit and a bag of elastic straps. Got the cover up on the roof and unrolled it, only to find I had it backwards (front label at rear). Got it turned around and dropped the sides over the edge. Knocked over my ladder in the process. Called my wife on my cell to come out and reset the ladder. Got down and cinched up the end tension straps. Inspected the elastic straps and it was not obvious how they were to be used. Decided to go to Camco's website to look for instructions - couldn't find any - just a video, but it didn't show how to use the straps. Went back to Amazon and read some reviews to discover that the instructions are hidden in the patch kit - Note to Camco - you should place the instructions on top of the patch kit, not hidden between the patch material and the patch instructions.
Once I learned you had to bend the fabric covered metal ends into hooks it was pretty straightforward to finish the installation. There is no lip to the sides of my Coachman trailer to hooked to, but the straps lined up reasonably well with the wheel spring shackles and with the stabilizer jacks so I attached to them. Overall, I'm quite pleased with the product. We'll see how well it survives a Maine winter.
AmCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote